Are Sith really evil?

Ziggoratt

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Show me a single Sith in canon who ever used love, joy, and attachment. You can't." quoted from professorwatch.

There is one that used love and attachement but that was to fufill a prophecy,and the answer is, Darth Vader. His love for his wife led to attachment to his son and the downfall of the emporer. So good(love) wins out in the end.

*buzzer*

Incorrect, and a very far reaching grasp. His love turned him from the Dark Side and returned him to being a Jedi. He was no longer a Sith the moment he turned on the Emperor on board the Death Star.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Vectivus

Here's an example of an arguably good Sith.

Nice try.

You also know that we have no proof that Vectivus existed right? He was used as a story to create false confidence in Jacen Solo so that he could be turned into a Sith and fall to the Dark Side. He was also a psychopath and a murderer if you read all of Lumiya's story of him.

First post, so I'm not quite sure how to quote. Sorry.

In response to ProfessorWalsh, I would offer up Vergere as a, if not light side Sith, than at least a good one. She put Jacen through all of these trials to make him stronger, before ultimately sacrificing herself so that he would live.

First post, so I'm not quite sure how to quote. Sorry.

In response to ProfessorWalsh, I would offer up Vergere as a, if not light side Sith, than at least a good one. She put Jacen through all of these trials to make him stronger, before ultimately sacrificing herself so that he would live.

Uhm,

You can't use Vergere as an example of a Light Sith, or a good one. She arguably specifically did everything she did to plant the seeds of doubt in Jacen Solo and even sacrificed herself not so he would become stronger but because she was planning his eventual fall to the Dark Side.

Basically she wanted to cause him to become Darth Caedus the whole time. Not Light Side Sith or even good Sith. She was a manipulative Sith.

Uhm,

You can't use Vergere as an example of a Light Sith, or a good one. She arguably specifically did everything she did to plant the seeds of doubt in Jacen Solo and even sacrificed herself not so he would become stronger but because she was planning his eventual fall to the Dark Side.

Basically she wanted to cause him to become Darth Caedus the whole time. Not Light Side Sith or even good Sith. She was a manipulative Sith.

Yeah, sacrificing yourself sure seems self-centered... :rolleyes:

The Sith aren't evil, per say, I guess. I think it's more of a "Follow your religion thing", as Sith society is a glorified religion. Thing of the Mayans, they weren't evil people, but they sacrificed people to please their gods Edited by GlaDOSowen

Very insightful thread. I do believe the Sith as a collective can be seen as true evil but I do believe some of their ideals is just a viewpoint like the Spartan examples brought up.

Although that leads to the debate of whether the Spartan ideals similar to Sith ideals is wrong on an absolute scale of morality. Objective wrong or subjective wrong?

Edited by Deirhese

I don't think I've ever seen the Jedi - that is, the Jedi Council, the Jedi who decide these things - actually call themselves 'good'. They refer to themselves as servants of the Force, defenders of the Republic and so on, but they never actually call themselves 'good'. They simply serve the Force.

The Jedi approach of controlling emotion makes a lot of sense if you think of emotions as cluttering up the Force, making annoying ripples and echoes, making it harder to hear. It's like littering. If the Force could be thought of as a natural resource, then Jedi vs. Sith is more like eco-warriors vs. unscrupulous oil tycoons.

Jedi:

1. The Jedi cut themselves off from all physical attachment, considering emotion and attachment dangerous and dark. But last I checked, wasn't love a good thing? The same goes for joy, attachment, and many forms of passion. Take the love and attachment of a mother and child, for instance. What could be more good and pure than a love such as this? Yet the Jedi's principles condemn such a love, seeing it as a lure for the forces that they don't understand (AKA, the Dark Side)

if you love someone you will do anything to protect them if by saveing your child for example you let 15 people die is that a good thing?

being in love and haveing attachment makes you put them first, and jedi must not only defend others but they must looks at it from a point of view as to which is worth more.

the needs of the meny outweigth the needs of the few, a star trek referance but still drives my point home.

a sith will put lives on the line to save their love anikan did just that.

if you love someone you will do anything to protect them if by saveing your child for example you let 15 people die is that a good thing?

being in love and haveing attachment makes you put them first, and jedi must not only defend others but they must looks at it from a point of view as to which is worth more.

the needs of the meny outweigth the needs of the few, a star trek referance but still drives my point home.

a sith will put lives on the line to save their love anikan did just that.

I'd let everyone on page 24 die if it would allow me to save a loved one! I guess Im evil :(

it's funny how people try to justify Sith being not 'evil' . It's like a sociopath trying to justify his murder . Sociopath would go in length and explain to you why what they do ain't doing bad .

Well I had to Kill that guy .. Because '1 hours of rants'

But in the end they're just &%*/&(* up people and easily identifiable .

They should be locked in a cage. Sith are like that. There's a difference between good and bad whatever some people tend to think. Some of you come has borderline creepy with your ramen philosophy.

Sith are just like some next door wife-beater believing he's right to do what he do and she deserve the beating. No man .. You're a monster .. It's like those people telling me each day 'We're just animals'..

I`m sorry but I am a human being. I don't poop on the sidewalk and eat with my hands . We evolved and you should do the same.

It throws an interesting twist though, having the SI being a slave.

Especially considering you and your padawan can be planning more or less the downfall of the cruel sith way- as a light sided sith.

Unless you're going to straight out say that being a slave makes you evil- I mean, everyone can have their own opinion on that.

The game's story is great- it makes both sith and jedi human for once- and gives us options to flesh out a character in that direction.

Then we have the non sith/jedi- IA are just like Bond or CIA or whatever, BH are just mercenaries for hire. Smugglers are crooks, troopers are trained killers- all four with the right motives can do good things IRL, and with the wrong motives or in the wrong hands, can do bad things.

If selfishness is evil- then most people IRL are pretty evil. I wouldn't consider selfishness to be innately evil until it starts considerably inconveniencing others.

Looking at the Sith Code, you can attain all that without being evil.

Passion- well, there's a lot of good things in passion if it doesn't control you.

Power- your friends, trusting allies, respect, lawfully obtained position- these are all power- and you can train to use the force better, also power, and it doesn't require you to be evil (I'll admit, they shouldn't have had lightning for SI and rocks for JC- they should have had dark side JC/SI do lightning, etc...).

Victory- good people can gain victory through hard work, perseverence, and it can be a 'cleaner', more honourable victory than one through cheating- it can be a victory that feels better to have.

Freedom- if anything, the dark side is enslaving, it would seem the only way to really be 'free' as a sith would be to be light sided- from a certain point of view. Regardless- I don't consider freedom an evil trait.

The sith aren't evil. They get judged as evil because most of the sith that are encountered in all of the movies and nearly all of the games, books and novels are evil. Can't judge and entire race of people as evil when some of them are not.

My opinion, and no one can change it..just like no one can change trollberzerkers opinion.

Is that sith does not= auto evil. To me Sith just allow many temptations and more often than not Sith fall to these temptations. Getting caught up into power and survival of the fittest.

The sith empire..minus the extremes we see in TOR, is a highly efficient force. It goes for efficiency and the greater good of it as a whole (again minus the sith extremes). The republic... each time gets is crap together for the war after its been hit the first time, then they fight off the sith then get get complacent again.

Good, evil... is perception.

The Sith create an easy plan to make a villain because of these many things allowed by the sith code. But the jedi are down right restrictive and in denial of human nature and emotion...or at least that's what it appears to be (see what I did there?)

For those who keep yelling the original movies.... think like this Lucas could not tell the entirety of the story and the ins and outs of star wars on screen... it just cant be done. Look at the EU he has approved... that helps make a more clear picture.

Overall I disagree with the people saying sith=auto evil all the time. If i had to choose I'd rather choose my emotions to fuel me over denying my emotion.

Edited by Parali
inappropriate content