In-Game Voice Chat

Yoda-Sempai

:sy_lightside:

There is one import aspect of in-game voice chat that people are either underestimating or not taking into account: it can actually interact with the game.

Thank you MaverickXIV, this is PRECISELY my point. It's the interactivity and integration into the game that would make this such a valuable feature. This is the first major MMO with full voice overs which presents exactly the problem you mentioned with constantly having to mute... "brb"... "back"..."brb"... "back" etc etc... It gets tiresome for everyone.

Wouldn't it be lovely to simply look at your interface and be able to see that the person you wish to speak to is in a cut scene? Or see the name of the person speaking light up? It would be a marvelous feature, especially for leading successful and coordinated group efforts. :)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, they should focus on other things. There is also a reason Blizzard took theirs out.

This ^^

Also, having an in-game voice chat would have to also mean encounters would have to be tuned around everyone having voice chat.

Everyone who raids normally has some kind of chat service anyway. But now having to design encounters knowing everyone ABSOLUTELY has this would be them kinda shooting themselves in the foot.

By my count there are at least NINE inquiries in this week's Q&A by different posters regarding In-Game Voice Chat, WOOO!!! There are also a number of other threads floating around the forums. Yay!! :D

Here are a couple other threads on the issue:

Hopefully we can funnel all this discussion into this thread and get the Developers' attention. With enough support from the community, they might actually listen :)

no surprise to me as every game that's had voice chat capability I've been in has had very few people using it. every guild I've been in that's had voice chat (vent, raidcall,teamspeak, etc.) has very few people using them.

so I don't much care either way, but would rather see the dev's spend time on stuff that actually gets used.

Yeah most people rather use vent or teamspeak, despite having in-built voice chat options. I thought the one in WoW was good, but for some reason people thought it was bad. Can't people be happy that there is a FREE option to chat with people?

Third party VC is far superior to any in game I have ever used. It seems like a huge waste of development time.

This. Focus on stuff you can't solve easily with third party software.

Edited by Hortto

ironically the best ingame voice chat ive ever used was SWG's

it allowed you to chat in pug groups as well as in guild and allowed you to easily control the volume on each person in the room to your taste individually. very simple.

Ventrilo does tons of stuff but i never use it and when i do try to use it to modify the volume of another person its actually really fiddly.

WOW's ingame voice chat was just too quiet...

in any event...

/support

Vent is cool for guild stuff, but it would be a nice to be able to communicate with non-guild players during pug flashpoints and such.

Having to type out vent info and get them all connected is a big hassle and a waste of time. It would be SO NICE to just make FP pug, everyone can automatically voice chat.

I agree, in game voice chat in LOTRO was used by everyone. It also made getting PUGs together for instances much easier. I could easily explain the fights without having to type. It also improved the social aspect of the game.

Edited by MMOgamer

no surprise to me as every game that's had voice chat capability I've been in has had very few people using it... [snip]... every guild I've been in that's had voice chat (vent, raidcall, teamspeak, etc.) has very few people using them..

I quite agree. I have zero interest in chatting to total strangers in-game and then suffering the myriad of annoyances entailed therein. We all know them - the mouth breather, the background music player, the chomper of snacks, the slurper of drinks, the torrent of "amusing" banter. That's just naming a few irritants! Whatever benefits ingame voice chat is supposed to bring they just aren't worth the hassle.

Vent is cool for guild stuff, but it would be a nice to be able to communicate with non-guild players during pug flashpoints and such.

Having to type out vent info and get them all connected is a big hassle and a waste of time. It would be SO NICE to just make FP pug, everyone can automatically voice chat.

I agree, even if your in a guild there will be times that the ehole FP is not, so do you tell the healer they can't be in the group, because you use vent and they only have TS installed?

In-game voice chat makes more sense and allows a level playing field in communication for PvP also, where you cant even join as a full team so 50% of your team will not be on your vent/TS server. At least people can listen even if they dont have a mic.

I posted this in the other voice chat thread but would be interested in feedback from other peoples experiances.

Its certainly an interesting point for discussion. Personally I would be interested to find out if a lot of people are actually switching off/switched off their vent/mumble/TS in order to listen to the clips when questing. I know I have been. This doesn't promote the social side of a guild that well for me as other games without voice acting do.

Our vent server is pretty quiet when we are questing, its still the same madness for PVP but sometimes its just really quiet in the main channel. Like really really quiet.

Its eerie.

Funny how both of the posters above me are mentioning craptastic games that went F2P....voice chat is NOT needed....especially not when Ventrilo is very low cost and offer more control than any in-game voice chat Ive ever seen.

Maybe if the developers of LoTRO and DDO had spent time actually developing useful aspects of their games they wouldnt have went F2P to start with.

EQ2 voice chat,me and my guildmates when doing runs would often invite ppl to join and we met many great players,people etc but here is the kicker,,,we do not allow people to group with us if they do not have chat,if they do not wish to speak,,thats fine,but we want you to atleast hear us.

As far as Vent,Teamspeak,Mumble etc sorry but i have maybe a dozen addresses on Vent and teamspeak and its frustrating going and clicking one and then another one and switching to another one,its stupid,give me in game voice anyday.

I quite agree. I have zero interest in chatting to total strangers in-game and then suffering the myriad of annoyances entailed therein. We all know them - the mouth breather, the background music player, the chomper of snacks, the slurper of drinks, the torrent of "amusing" banter. That's just naming a few irritants! Whatever benefits ingame voice chat is supposed to bring they just aren't worth the hassle.

Oh it works,trust me on that.

Solution: Ask to stop that please or let them know because some are not aware or say adios brother.

Yeah most people rather use vent or teamspeak, despite having in-built voice chat options. I thought the one in WoW was good, but for some reason people thought it was bad. Can't people be happy that there is a FREE option to chat with people?

EQ2 voice chat works flawless,the only ones who say "Blehh we use Vent" i have found out are people i do not care to group with let alone listen to in chat,lets just say they have high pitch voices,il stop there.

Funny how both of the posters above me are mentioning craptastic games that went F2P....voice chat is NOT needed....especially not when Ventrilo is very low cost and offer more control than any in-game voice chat Ive ever seen.

Maybe if the developers of LoTRO and DDO had spent time actually developing useful aspects of their games they wouldnt have went F2P to start with.

What you call poor, others call superb - THUMBS UP FOR built in Voice.

DDO = best combat system, half decent CS, story, raid, single player, grp questing, full character customisation (not just pre styled same old same old options like in this game so you actually have to think about your toon choices all the way through), epic levels, crafting, epic crafting, online store, (cruddy PVP for those that enjoy it) and very shortly off to Forgotten Realms...since F2P model was successfully implemented it has opened the game to a wider spread of hardcore or casual player... and its success has brought with it regular content updates, daily offers, events/mini games... so its trying to cater for all.

Maybe DDO was just to difficult mechanically for ya :)

Like SWTOR DDO has an advantage of 30-40 years of history surrounding it... hopefully in the not to distant future SWTOR will wake up and implement alot of the things that even a 6-7 yr old game had at launch... like voice, like grping facilities, combat logs, random loot drops, smoother combat aminations, skill and feat customisations options etc etc... till then we live in hope.

Edited by Bloodstealer

The problem with the WoW one is that when it first came out, it was buggy and people didn't trust it after that. It often wouldn't shut off, or would spew static or do other not very good things.

personally i'm astonished that any multiplayer games in 2012 ship without voicechat. Sure, some people don't like it, but they can always just mute it or not use it. For the rest of us, being able to interact verbally with others creates the sense of community integral to a good multiplayer experience. Especially in a game where you need to reserve your hands to hit keybound abilities.

Um, no.

I remember people clammering for built in voice chat in WoW, and once it finally arrived it became the butt end joke for all including the developers of WoW. Why have something built into a game if there is already perfectly viable servers out there like vent, mumble, teamspeak etc? Would an extra $10 a month really kill a guild?

EQ2 voice chat works brilliantly. Makes a huge difference to successfully taking the raid boss or the raid wiping. People don't have to talk - so long as they have the ability to hear what the raid leader is saying, that's all that's needed. Not everyone has Vent or TeamSpeak or Skype or whatever.

With EQ2 you could choose your channel - none, guild, group, officer, raid. If you didn't want to be in voice chat, you chose none. In groups or raids, you chose the applicable channel. If you wanted to, you could even make your own channel and invite your friends from other guilds to it to chat.

You didn't have to use it, but it made grouping so much easier if you did! Never came across any abuse or harassment on it either. People seemed to behave better somehow...