In-Game Voice Chat

Yoda-Sempai

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a feature I'd use, so I vote "meh". LOTRO has it, but their version is pretty useless. I hardly ever see anyone use it. My LOTRO guild ignores the built-in one and uses Teamspeak for our raids.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the feature did get implemented for those that want to use it. As long as I can mute it, I don't see a downside to having it available.

people use it all the time bro. want proof? go join any pug 6 man or 12 man in Moria as an example. there is usually a leader that has voice on and gives commands. usually no one else speaks, but no one has to type anything because the leader is using voice and everyone can hear him. you could not even beat Vile Maw without a leader using a Mic. and no, sry, the 11 randoms who joined are not going to all have a 3rd party voip program. the in-game voice chat is a great "option" and has been a boon to the game.

don't make assumptions. assumptions are not very useful for making informed decisions.

You made plenty of assumptions on my game play and enjoyment. Perhaps it won't go as far as I expect it to, but it has in the past in other areas. I made my decision based on past experiences.

I'm happy for you that your experiences have been different and perhaps better. But, to try and tell me that my opinion on the matter is wrong or skewed also isn't very useful.

It's not a feature I'd use, so I vote "meh". LOTRO has it, but their version is pretty useless. I hardly ever see anyone use it. My LOTRO guild ignores the built-in one and uses Teamspeak for our raids.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the feature did get implemented for those that want to use it. As long as I can mute it, I don't see a downside to having it available.

:sy_lightside:

The LOTRO one was pretty good to be honest, used it all the time. We have a vent server for guild use here but in game VOIP would still be useful for pugs.

Edited by Dargr

what does all that mean? it makes no sense to me.

1. Voice chat is best kept 3rd party

2. Voice chat is best kept player regulated

3. If one and two are true voice chat is easier to control, more useful, and enjoyable

Do you mind elaborating on the above points so I can understand your position?

Have you ever played an MMO that has built-in voice-chat?

it's rather simple... when it is through player controlled 3rd party programs it is done in smaller groups which makes it easier to control as there is less to monitor and someone moderating it more often ... where as if it is run open and through the game it is notoriously abused because, just like in game chat, there are very very few moderators to go around.. also moderation takes a lot longer because their are a lot more rules and consequences to take into account

I've played tons of MMOs and normal multiplayer games with in-game voice chats and every single one is a cluster **** because there simply is no control, no choice (other than use it or mute it) and next to no reasonable moderation... simply to large of a group on one open system to ever get a community consensus on acceptable behavior either

any system given to a group WILL be abused... the larger it is the easier it is to abuse and as a result the more it will be abused

Edited by Liquidacid

it's rather simple... when it is through player controlled 3rd party programs it is done in smaller groups which makes it easier to control as there is less to monitor and someone moderating it more often ... where as if it is run open and through the game it is notoriously abused because, just like in game chat, there are very very few moderators to go around.. also moderation takes a lot longer because their are a lot more rules and consequences to take into account

I've played tons of MMOs and normal multiplayer games with in-game voice chats and every single one is a cluster **** because there simply is no control, no choice (other than use it or mute it) and next to no reasonable moderation... simply to large of a group on one open system to ever get a community consensus on acceptable behavior either

Guess you havent tried lotro. It has all kinds of controls for the in-game voice. I hate having to give people my private vent server if I dont know them. I only am allowed 10 people also. This game needs in-game voice. The grouping really stinks no way to talk to other members of the party (you try typing in directions while fighting) and no way to even find a group period other than spamming chat.

people use it all the time bro. want proof? go join any pug 6 man or 12 man in Moria as an example. there is usually a leader that has voice on and gives commands. usually no one else speaks, but no one has to type anything because the leader is using voice and everyone can hear him. you could not even beat Vile Maw without a leader using a Mic. and no, sry, the 11 randoms who joined are not going to all have a 3rd party voip program. the in-game voice chat is a great "option" and has been a boon to the game.

I agree everyone in lotro uses the in-game voice system. Not everyone has vent or TS installed etc. Its a pain then trying to get them logged in etc. Some people dont want to give out their TS or vent server login info to just anyone.

I have used TS and vent for years. Most guilds/clans I have been in or ran labled being in vent is mandatory when your online to even be in the guild/clan. That said I can see it working independently verry well. What I cant see (as I never tried LotRO) is how that small band of 5-20 goes to global chat.

As for raids and groups and it being mandatory, it would be up to the group leader who stays and who goes.

In some of the larger voice groups I have been in there has always been a "manager" who passworded access to raidgroup rooms so players could have #1 privacy and #2 QUIET. Note most of these private type rooms were for pvp purposes in open world games though some were for specific quest lines where a leader would walk a group of newer players through a section of game play. Such as a datacron planet run might be here.

The main problem is there is always someone around that needs to be muted and in a global voice setup the mute lists can grow large and should be easy to manage. With that in mind I am all for it as tabing in and out of game to manage the system works just fine in games I played "window mode" but here it is full screen all the way!

No thank you. I prefer to join voice chat with people I know and friends of mine. I don't want to be forced to use it with random people to complete a flashpoint or a heroic 4 that I can complete without communication. I don't want to hear 12 year olds yell at me in pvp. Or get harassed for being a woman/confused for a pre-pubescent boy.

once again, here is your initial post. you have now admitted you based the above argument in RED on an "assumption" which you later clarified as being itself based upon anecdotal evidence (aka: experience). this assumption is not a valid argument. if you had hard empirical data to back it up then fine, but you don't.

So let's just erase that assumption. now we have this left over:

I don't want to hear 12 year olds yell at me in pvp. Or get harassed for being a woman/confused for a pre-pubescent boy.

Built in voice chat programs can be toggled on and off in game preferences. Thus your negative reaction is superfluous making this argument invalid.

Ok, this is getting out of hand. Let's just keep it to useful comments. We're all entitled to our opinions. Stop with all the logical fallacies too because they don't help.

Keep it simple and polite!!

I NEVER SUGGESTED that voice chat should be mandatory or forced on anyone. Read my OP.

the above post is a Red Herring! :D

once again, here is your initial post. you have now admitted you based the above argument in RED on an "assumption" which you later clarified as being itself based upon anecdotal evidence (aka: experience). this assumption is not a valid argument. if you had hard empirical data to back it up then fine, but you don't.

So let's just erase that assumption. now we have this left over:

Built in voice chat programs can be toggled on and off in game preferences. Thus your negative reaction is superfluous making this argument invalid.

I never said I couldn't make an assumption. I simply said that I can make a logical progression assumption based on what has happened to me due to the mandatory enforcement of players to use voice chat in other games.

Again, just because the argument isn't valid to YOU based on YOUR experiences doesn't make the argument invalid.

The trend that I have noticed on games that have a built in voice chat is that groups start to require the use of that voice chat to be in the group. I understand that it isn't mandatory to use in the game. I understand that it would be toggled on and off. I am saying that other PEOPLE will like the feature and REQUIRE people to be in that group to use it. Yes, I am making an assumption on that, but it is based on TRENDS.

Do you know that people that make money on the stock market do so by making assumptions based on trends? Do you know that flu vaccines are developed from assumptions based on trends of what the expected flu strain is to be that year?

Why is it so important to you to take my argument apart? Am I crusading against it? Have I said that people that want to use it are foolish? This was a thread to garner people's thoughts on the matter. People with an opposing viewpoint should be able to express it without getting beat on by someone who doesn't agree.

Edited by KittyPrawn

• 3 weeks later...

:sy_lightside:

There is one import aspect of in-game voice chat that people are either underestimating or not taking into account: it can actually interact with the game.

If you're not a spacebar maniac, then you've probably run into the problem of voice chat vs. cut scenes before. How do you handle it? If there's more than a few people in the chat, you can't tell them all to be quiet for you; even if there's just two people, it's annoying to have to say "one second" and "I'm back" for every cut scene. You can bind a mute button for some voice chat applications, but then you run into issues like forgetting to tell people you're muted or forgetting to tell them you're back, which leads to people talking to themselves or not talking at all.

If this game had a built-in voice chat, it could handle all of that. There could be a setting to automatically mute voice chat when you enter a cut scene and then display in the chat user list that you are muted.

That said, it would not have to impact performance any more than a third party application would and the voice quality would have to be near or exactly as good.

I would personally like built-in voice chat. I also use vent but that's exclusively with the guild since our vent server is password protected.

Still, it seems like quite a few people are against built-in voice chat so I will propose a compromise (disclaimer: half serious, half silly). BW should partner with either Google or Apple in order to utilize their voice to text technology. Siri would be a neat feature for SWTOR, not that Apple would allow it but hey, any way to save typing time in a relatively fast paced game is a plus.

Edited by Oneirophrenia