The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Which Shield For PVP?

rweiowjerwei

As an Advanced Prototype Powertech, do I want one with straight up stats, or one that has the chance to shield me?

I can of course see damage vs mitigation but I'm having a hard time deciding.

Edit: While you're here, I'm having another conundrum. I have a pair of Orange Greaves, the Hydraulic Press Greaves ( http://www.torhead.com/schematic/cDDEOCW/hydraulic-press-greaves )

Those are my exact 'pants' but the armor value on them, despite having a reflex armor modification in them, it only 25 ... The website shows 254, why dont mine have that? It it bugged?

Edited by rweiowjerwei

I have a lvl 50 PT, and as a fellow DPS you really want to be using kit that increases your ability to lay down as much damage as possible. So go for the power generator and use you increased mobility to get your self out of any sticky situations.

If you wanted a bit more protection and still wanna use the AP tree then consider the ST/PT hybrid build that is detailed in the stickied section of the BH class forum. I havent used it but from what I hear it is fun (I have used a STPT hybrid and that is great in PvP).

The shield generators need the ion gas cylinder activated in order to actually shield damage.

Incorrect. Tested while I was doing the testing on shielding for other matters.

Without a shield you cannot shield at all (regardless of cylinder). Outside of Ion Cylinder but with a shield equipped you can still shield, just at an abysmal rate.

Point is, if you're trying for DPS, use a damaging generator.

As a DPS correct me if Im wrong but having a power gen not a Shield would be optimal in PVP and PVE

This is true for his AP/PT spec but if you go Shield/PT (or some variation of the Carolina Parakeet) then shield > generator by a large margin