Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

'You must complete missions before you can do this'

gomperz

As of getting to tatooine I keep getting this message when I try to pick up missions. Now, I have been able to get 'some' of them after doing certain things, but now I'm on alderaan and literally everything gives me this message.

I guess my question is, why is this happening now when I've always been able to get all the missions up to this point? And also my character is the appropriate level for the planet.

One of my friends playing a Jedi Knight encountered the same problem with most of the quests on Balmora. The only workaround that we found was for us to be grouped and have me initiate the conversation and him join.

Just as a note to anyone else, he was at the appropriate point of his class quest every step of the way.

To OP, sorry I can't offer a more generally useful solution.

Finish up all your previous quests. Everything you haven't turned in, go and turn in. Every heroic that you're hanging on to because you haven't done it yet, either abandon or go and DO.

Your quest log is full, and needs some things cleared out.

• 1 month later...
I have the same problem. I have abandoned the [HEROIC] missions from previous planets as I just can never get a group together (or get in one - seems LF Sentinels aren't needed by groups and are ignored when requesting to join in) but they are simply greyed-out and left on the list. "Untrack", "Abandon"....but still getting this darned annoying message. Edited by Lucridate

I have the same problem. I have abandoned the [HEROIC] missions from previous planets as I just can never get a group together (or get in one - seems LF Sentinels aren't needed by groups and are ignored when requesting to join in) but they are simply greyed-out and left on the list. "Untrack", "Abandon"....but still getting this darned annoying message.

Untrack will not do anything to help the problem. You need to abandon any grey quests (you won't any xp for those anyway).

There are some quests that are bugged and you can't abandon, but you should be able to for most of them.

The same thing happened to me, just go in your mission log and abandon any of the heroic missions that are repeatable. You can pick them up again whenever you want to do them. That should free up at least 10 slots if you've been on a lot of planets already. :)

The max number of missions you have have is 25 so you'll need to complete missions if you haven't been hoarding the heroic ones and these are all class or planet ones.

Untrack will not do anything to help the problem. You need to abandon any grey quests (you won't any xp for those anyway).

There are some quests that are bugged and you can't abandon, but you should be able to for most of them.

As I say, I did abandon these missions, not just "untracked" them. Then there was a patch and they were back, though greyed-out. I thought the patch must have made other missions unavailable until you had completed the Class (story) mission that was current. I went in today and at first attempt the "Abandon" option was unavailable but then it worked. So I was then able to dump all that was unnecessary, and accept quests suitable for solo play. I did get half way through Tera V by myself when noone wished to Party-up, but too much damage led to it being far too expensive and frustrating to continue.

Every day it seems I am searching for answers that really should be listed in a Sticky, including the most common issues or questions that new/casual gamers are meeting or needing answered. These are generally not covered in the New Player Guide.

Simple example: If you are waiting around at the entrance to a Flashpoint, if you stand still for too long you drop dead and need to be revived at the Med Station:eek:.

Pretty surprising when it first happens if you haven't come across that sort of thing before.

Simple example: If you are waiting around at the entrance to a Flashpoint, if you stand still for too long you drop dead and need to be revived at the Med Station:eek:.

Pretty surprising when it first happens if you haven't come across that sort of thing before.

Your joking here right??? You should never drop dead from just standing around!

Your joking here right??? You should never drop dead from just standing around!

I wish I was, but no I simply just keeled over dead and was only given the option to return to the Med Centre at the start. No enemies around at all, as I was outside the start of the Flashpoint in friendly territory (a Republic starship to be precise).

Then again I've been getting a few bugs lately.

Kira is quite often missing at the start of a mission when battling the first in a series of encounters, until I realised her double blade lightsabre was in my hand along with mine (she was inside me). Then I fought a Sith Apprentice an she alternated from the vertical to the horizontal and back again, flip-flopping as it were taking no damage and issuing none. Then yesterday in the Droid Mining facility on Balmorra she refused to get off the elevator at one point and left me to battle the first wave before I realised she was malingering. In the same Droid factory after disabling the Droid manufacturing terminals (or some such thing) a "mini-boss" droid would spring forth and with the first she stood still and watched as I fought it alone (and she was not set to 'passive").

On all occassions the only solution is to send her away by summoning T7, then bringing her back and all is well. However, obviously all is not well.

Edited by Lucridate

You are not on a PvP server, are you? Granted, the fleet should be a safe refuge, and I have not personally seen any same-faction ganking, but that is just about the only thing I can think of that would cause this -under normal circumstances, if you just stand still for long enough, you will be returned to the Character Select screen.

As for the issues with Kira, there is a problem with the visuals for companion orientation (standing/lying down) when they are kd'd at the end of a fight, but dismissing and recalling the companion resolves that issue. It does not sound like you have the same problem, but I assume you have tried the dismiss/recall process?

As of getting to tatooine I keep getting this message when I try to pick up missions. Now, I have been able to get 'some' of them after doing certain things, but now I'm on alderaan and literally everything gives me this message.

I guess my question is, why is this happening now when I've always been able to get all the missions up to this point? And also my character is the appropriate level for the planet.

I have seen this come up a couple of times, and it is a known issue that Bioware have still not fixed - two issues, in fact - the fact that the game randomly decides to reactivate certain mission sections, and the fact that you cannot abandon those missions.

Sometimes, if you are lucky and the reactivated mission is not in an instanced area, you can go to that area and do whatever you need to do for that mission section, and the mission either goes away or updates to the next mission section in the chain (for example, if you complete "Stage 2" of a bonus quest, it may then update to "Stage 3" or disappear.

Going back and cleaning up these is a pain in the posterior, but until Bioware fix the issues that cause this, you only other option is periodically logging back in to see if the phantom missions are now gone from your mission log.

There is another option that might be preventing you from grabbing new quests.

1. As previously states, your quest log might be full, but

2. (And this is what happened to me) You might have more than two completed missions pending that you haven't actually completed. Look to the upper right hand corner of your game field. If you see a glowing/flashing message there that says "pending", you need to click on that and actually complete those missions by accepting the quest rewards. I don't think it will let you have more than 2 pending completed quests sitting like that.

Also, I'm not completely sure, but I think that the crew skill quests you send companions on count toward this pending limit.

You are not on a PvP server, are you? Granted, the fleet should be a safe refuge, and I have not personally seen any same-faction ganking, but that is just about the only thing I can think of that would cause this -under normal circumstances, if you just stand still for long enough, you will be returned to the Character Select screen.

As for the issues with Kira, there is a problem with the visuals for companion orientation (standing/lying down) when they are kd'd at the end of a fight, but dismissing and recalling the companion resolves that issue. It does not sound like you have the same problem, but I assume you have tried the dismiss/recall process?

No, PVE server, and as I had moved away from the screen for a minute I did not see what happened so i could have been "ganked" as there were a few other players milling around the entrance. Pretty dismal behaviour if someone did that.

As for Kira, that standing/lying was at the start of a fight and she was not in any way harmed and at full health with undamaged equipment. On Balmorra she is always getting stuck on the many elevators too, so the send/return option is being used pretty often, unfortunately.

Conversations are bugged on this planet too, pardon the pun. Very rare to see any companion affection points displayed, though sometimes at the completion of the mission (with all four long and sometimes "grindy" stages) there they are in the rewards. The Bug Planet is bugged.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.