Aim vs Cunning

Brianmcgrr

I know cunning is mostly for agents and aim for bounty hunters. But I pick up gear here and there with aim on it. Now aim increasing your ability to use ranged weapons so would that be worth more to a sniper then it would an operative? I makes sense to me but I wanna make sure Im giving my toon the right stats.

I know cunning is mostly for agents and aim for bounty hunters. But I pick up gear here and there with aim on it. Now aim increasing your ability to use ranged weapons so would that be worth more to a sniper then it would an operative? I makes sense to me but I wanna make sure Im giving my toon the right stats.

What spec are you levelling as?

There is no mostly.

Cunning is the Agent stat. Aim is the Bounty Hunter stat. There is no discussion, it's like that. When you reach 50, all your sets will have Cunning on them and no Aim whatsoever.

Strength improves your melee damage, and you have like two melee skills. That just means that it isn't COMPLETELY useless, but not that it's for you.

Same with Cunning and Aim, hover over both stats, and compare them.

There is no mostly.

Cunning is the Agent stat. Aim is the Bounty Hunter stat. There is no discussion, it's like that. When you reach 50, all your sets will have Cunning on them and no Aim whatsoever.

Strength improves your melee damage, and you have like two melee skills. That just means that it isn't COMPLETELY useless, but not that it's for you.

Same with Cunning and Aim, hover over both stats, and compare them.

Most of what you said here is spot-on.

Our melee abilities, however, are technically tech attacks -- so they are boosted by cunning and not strength.

We officially have no melee attacks. Each one is either ranged or tech.

You never stop learning, thanks for the clarification! And it makes the point I was trying to make all the more important!

Cunning, Cunning, Cunning. Bioware should just put Endurance and "Skill Attribute" on every item, instead of confusing new players ;)

It does seem weird that "AIM" isn't good for a sniper, but as others have explained, while it has some benefit, that benefit comes at the cost of Cunning which offers a significantly larger benefit.

The ONLY time you'll want to take a piece of Aim gear is in the RARE situation that you're leveling up, haven't gotten a specific piece of gear for a long time, and managed to get a really good one with aim on it. I'm talking going from like, 2 cunning 2 endurance to 20 aim 20 endurance. That's not the specific math, but you get my point.

Still get the Aim datacrons though.

You never itemize Aim and heres why....

While it does give you very slight boost, cunning boosts your base dmg, your bonus damage, and your crit. It does this for white damage, and tech powers which will make up... all of your damage.

Aim will not ever boost your tech powers.

So basically... your stat weights are cunning... after that its Crit/surge, alacrity/power. But honestly, you get to experiment to decide whihc of the four secondary's you want more weight with.

Bioware do need to do a better job of explaining that certain classes have innate stats that are important to them. It isn't immediately apparent why something called "cunning" would be a better stat for a sniper than "aim".

Putting it on every single piece of gear that you ever get from a quest reward that you can personally equip should make it pretty obvious. If that's not enough the tooltip in the character window spells out the exact benefits provided by each stat. At that point, if it still isn't obvious enough yet, it only takes about a 4th grade level of understanding math to calculate for certain which stat is your primary stat.

Putting it on every single piece of gear that you ever get from a quest reward that you can personally equip should make it pretty obvious. If that's not enough the tooltip in the character window spells out the exact benefits provided by each stat. At that point, if it still isn't obvious enough yet, it only takes about a 4th grade level of understanding math to calculate for certain which stat is your primary stat.

You clearly either didn't read what I said, or decided to ignore it in service of an attempt at pithy sarcasm.

Yes, further investigation reveals what your primary stat is, and how it affects you. What I said is, it isn't immediately apparent why a stat called "Cunning" matters more than something called (for example) "Aim", to a class that uses a high precision rifle as it's primary weapon.

Considering the number of other tooltips that pop up the first time you do nearly anything in the game with a new character, they really should have a tooltip that comes up explaining to new players what stats they should be focusing on, and why.

People familiar with the contrivances of MMOs may know to do the "4th grade" math necessary, but simply acquiring +Cunning gear "cause that's what quests give me" doesn't really contribute to a new player's understanding of why exactly that is.

Hell, I know people who still don't fully understand what things like "surge" and "alacrity" even do.

You clearly either didn't read what I said, or decided to ignore it in service of an attempt at pithy sarcasm.

Yes, further investigation reveals what your primary stat is, and how it affects you. What I said is, it isn't immediately apparent why a stat called "Cunning" matters more than something called (for example) "Aim", to a class that uses a high precision rifle as it's primary weapon.

Considering the number of other tooltips that pop up the first time you do nearly anything in the game with a new character, they really should have a tooltip that comes up explaining to new players what stats they should be focusing on, and why.

People familiar with the contrivances of MMOs may know to do the "4th grade" math necessary, but simply acquiring +Cunning gear "cause that's what quests give me" doesn't really contribute to a new player's understanding of why exactly that is.

Hell, I know people who still don't fully understand what things like "surge" and "alacrity" even do.

You can't judge a book by it's cover. My point is that the name might give you a hint at what it is supposed to do, but not always. Surge is a perfect example of a stat that's name has no strong indication of what it might do. It is, however, extremely obvious what the stat does once you take 5 seconds to open your character window and look at it. Bioware can't make it much more obvious than that.