The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why don't people use Advanced prototype?

Frostburns

What little number crunching I've seen shows Pyro slightly ahead of AP in terms output.

Aside from that there are some problems with the tree, I think so anyway. If you look at the AP tree there seem to be quite a few PvP oriented skills; flat movement speed increase, shorter CD on interrupt, take less damage when stunned, reduced CD on grapple and of course Hydraulic Overrides.

Sounds great until you note that AP's largest damage source is Flamethrower; a stationary channeled frontal cone attack. Flamethrower just begs to be interrupted or avoided, I can't imagine relying on it consistently in PvP. For that matter, with the amount of movement, stuns and knockbacks you encounter as melee in FPs and operations I can just imagine the buffed Flamethrowers that would be cut short or interrupted. It's sad that the reason I want to try AP is for the high damage Flamethrowers but the main reason I don't want to is because of the reliance on Flamethrower. Just my two cents.

You can do more damage than flame thrower in the same amonut of time flame thrower takes to channel using other attacks. Just sayin.

I just want to correct a few things here.

Prototype Flamethrower is AMAZING against Snipers/Gunslingers and healers. These people are always stationary and chain casting stuff that you simply can't interrupt all the time due to heat costs and cooldowns (or because of Hunker Down/bonuses from cover that prevent interrupts and CCs).

Without Prototype Flamethrower, I would never be able to kill a level 40+ healer or cover-user in PvP; the former just keeps casting and the latter outtanks me. Since each tick of the Flamethrower (every 0.5 secs) causes casting/channel push back and at 5-stacks has a chance to crit for 1500+ (level 41 w/ level 40 PvP gear), these healers and pesky Smugglers melt.

The only change this ability needs is to slow people and/or channel faster per stack. This allows AP to utilize the ability in faster-paced skirmishes against mobile enemies, which is especially important since a lot of AP's damage is based around stacking this buff and unloading it. This would also give us a means to fight off Sentinels who currently rip us to pieces (they out-tank us, out-damage us, and out-control us).

Maybe sustained.

No way ever will AP come *close* to matching Pyros burst potential though :(

I fear that instead of buffing AP's burst they are going to nerf PyroTech's burst. There's no problem having near-100% armor penetration on Rail Shot, 30% extra crit damage on Rail Shot, Heat-venting Rail Shots that refresh DoT duration, and cooldown refreshing Rail Shots. However, all of those things combined becomes somewhat abusive and I feel they may nerf or remove one of those bonuses from PyroTech to lower its damage potential; it was originally supposed to be a DoT spec after all.

Edited by Mapex

I have been playing advanced prototype Since 50 and dissagree with statements that say pyro is better in pve and pvp. I have a pvp vid up right now that breaks down the tree to show why its good un pvp and how to do well with it. As far as pve goes the reason why pyro seems better is because pyro is very much less gear dependent. AP relies heavily on crit. Just the same way a fire mage would so you need to get about 30% crit and ~80% more surge while still maintainig a giod amount of power. When u dont crit with AP you do dog**** dps and your main three abilities scale better with crit. Since gear right now isnt thay great pyro squeeks ahead in dps. But dont worry im sure soon ap will take over. Its just too much damage to ignore. I hit 3.5k immolates 2.4k flame bursts 3k rocket punch and about an 8 k flamethrowrr in pve. Thosr are crit numbrrs and they should crit more than they dont crit. Plus the spec augments iys dps with chance to make rail shot crit. So that helps fill gaps. Its also really good on heat. My youtube link is. Youtube.com\dastinks

i actually played as advanced prototype and ***** everything. the hydraulic overrides make fighting almost any ranged class a breeze, especially if they have a knockback. and idk about pyrotech out burst dmging a advanced prototype cuz if you take into consideration you can use your 31 point talent, immolate, with explosive dart you can bring out massive burst dmg on a single target, as where the 31 point talent in pyrotech shares a cooldown with explosive dart making such a high hitting ability worthless Edited by Menehunes

I just want to correct a few things here.

Prototype Flamethrower is AMAZING against Snipers/Gunslingers and healers. These people are always stationary and chain casting stuff that you simply can't interrupt all the time due to heat costs and cooldowns (or because of Hunker Down/bonuses from cover that prevent interrupts and CCs).

Without Prototype Flamethrower, I would never be able to kill a level 40+ healer or cover-user in PvP; the former just keeps casting and the latter outtanks me. Since each tick of the Flamethrower (every 0.5 secs) causes casting/channel push back and at 5-stacks has a chance to crit for 1500+ (level 41 w/ level 40 PvP gear), these healers and pesky Smugglers melt.

The only change this ability needs is to slow people and/or channel faster per stack. This allows AP to utilize the ability in faster-paced skirmishes against mobile enemies, which is especially important since a lot of AP's damage is based around stacking this buff and unloading it. This would also give us a means to fight off Sentinels who currently rip us to pieces (they out-tank us, out-damage us, and out-control us).

I fear that instead of buffing AP's burst they are going to nerf PyroTech's burst. There's no problem having near-100% armor penetration on Rail Shot, 30% extra crit damage on Rail Shot, Heat-venting Rail Shots that refresh DoT duration, and cooldown refreshing Rail Shots. However, all of those things combined becomes somewhat abusive and I feel they may nerf or remove one of those bonuses from PyroTech to lower its damage potential; it was originally supposed to be a DoT spec after all.

Those are some bad gunslingers/healers you're running in. As a merc I always keep my mez+stun for melee attackers, and as a gunslinger I have two knockbacks, two stuns, interrupt and a root to keep people off my back and I abuse the hell out of those abilities. Most jugs that try to reach me end up turning around and running for Los, unless they are in a tanking stance and the same goes for PTs.

So pvp wise AP PTs are a joke, pyros end up devastating me most of the time though, that RS hits hard+nasty dots.

i actually played as advanced prototype and ***** everything. the hydraulic overrides make fighting almost any ranged class a breeze, especially if they have a knockback. and idk about pyrotech out burst dmging a advanced prototype cuz if you take into consideration you can use your 31 point talent, immolate, with explosive dart you can bring out massive burst dmg on a single target, as where the 31 point talent in pyrotech shares a cooldown with explosive dart making such a high hitting ability worthless

Trinkets+Adrenals then

1 )Toss IM Out

2) Toss TD

3) Flame Burst

4) Rail Shot

5) Rocket Punch

You get a good string of crits you can *easily* do 15k+ in such a short time period (5gcds as well as have two dots Lingering)

If AP could do that I would switch in to a heart beat. (granted keeping that burst up to that potential with Pyro is not sustainable long term so you need to find a way to get rid of heat if you are trying to take down a healer quickly.)

In PvP you won't have much time to effectly weave in rapid shots on a healer or they'll just out heal your damage. (The good ones that is). Heat Management is the only draw AP really has...

^ All my personal opinion.

Edited by exphryl

These are no hybrid speccs.

Basic PvE build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsRrRrfk0sZb.1

The point in Power Armor can be moved around within the tree. That one comes down to preference.

Damage Reuction PvE build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0hZMsRrRrfk0sZb.1

Not much different from the basic build. You sacrifice some dps for damage reduction. The point in Power Armor can be moved around. I prefer this specc in PvE makes the life of healers a little bit easier and the damge reduction is not that much.

Basic PvP build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsRrRrckbsZb.1

You change from Prototype Flamethrower to Stabilized Armor. Flamethrower is rather pointless in PvP. You move around too much. The Armor gives you good survivibility because you get stunned a lot in PvP. Some people would argue to put points into electro Surge but i never found it to be needed. I much rather Grapple than Stun anyway.

Damage Reduction PvP build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0hZMsRrRrckbsZb.1

Makes 1on1 fights easier i think. And the loss in DPS is minimal again.

The speccs don't differ much. Its more like 1 free point to move around and then up to 4 points based on your preference and the style of combat you will do.