Best Grenades for PVP?

DamienStark

So I know, I dread the "what's the best X" threads, but given the requirement for the BOP material and the shared cooldowns, I'm expecting to only make one of the purple Wynz-tek grenades.

I mostly do PVP rather than FP/Ops/PVE, so I'm curious if there's any strong opinions out there on which is most effective?

Generally I'd think for PVP stuns/slows/roots tend to trump raw damage, but are the grenade CC effects tied into Resolve same as the abilities? Or does anyone prefer the DOT fire effects to prevent turret-capping or bomb-planting?

So I know, I dread the "what's the best X" threads, but given the requirement for the BOP material and the shared cooldowns, I'm expecting to only make one of the purple Wynz-tek grenades.

I mostly do PVP rather than FP/Ops/PVE, so I'm curious if there's any strong opinions out there on which is most effective?

Generally I'd think for PVP stuns/slows/roots tend to trump raw damage, but are the grenade CC effects tied into Resolve same as the abilities? Or does anyone prefer the DOT fire effects to prevent turret-capping or bomb-planting?

Probably a combination of playstyle, preference and spec, for the reasons you listed. Plus, some specs have "enough" CC or "too much", and some don't have a reliable DoT. Plus of course, PUG vs Premades will play a role in the decision, since with a PUG, you'd want the one that doesn't break on damage, and with a premade you might prefer the longer one that does.

In other words, there's too much for anyone else to decide for you.

I use cryo-shock grenade for Huttball, and firestorm grenade for Alderaan and Voidstar. They're used for preventing ball-carrier movement and objective capping, respectively.

The BoP mats aren't hard to come by. Run a couple of HM flashpoints and normal ops, and you'll easily be able to make one of each.

Edited by Shimakaze

Probably a combination of playstyle, preference and spec, for the reasons you listed. Plus, some specs have "enough" CC or "too much", and some don't have a reliable DoT. Plus of course, PUG vs Premades will play a role in the decision, since with a PUG, you'd want the one that doesn't break on damage, and with a premade you might prefer the longer one that does.

In other words, there's too much for anyone else to decide for you.

Fair enough.

As Arsenal Merc, I feel like I've got plenty of raw DPS/AOE, but not a lot of CC and DOT (pretty much just 4 sec Electro Dart and Fusion Missle). Almost always PUGs, so yeah "break on damage" is a no go.

Thanks for putting more thought into it than "Biochem Rakata OP FTW".

Fair enough.

As Arsenal Merc, I feel like I've got plenty of raw DPS/AOE, but not a lot of CC and DOT (pretty much just 4 sec Electro Dart and Fusion Missle). Almost always PUGs, so yeah "break on damage" is a no go.

Thanks for putting more thought into it than "Biochem Rakata OP FTW".

I'm using my Biochem Rakata OP FTW on my Guardian. But answering your actual question made more sense, even if all I did was add more variables to consider. But then, you can't answer a question well without defining it first, so I call that a start.

I'd go with the shorter guaranteed stun. Not going to be as effective for stopping caps as the DoT, but if having a panic button isn't enough extra contribution on your part, your team was probably boned anyways. You could also consider the snare effect one though, for it's Huttball utility, since it doesn't get nerfed by resolve. Especially as an Imp, unless you're on a server that lucked out on faction balance.