Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

R.I.P Physics: How Bioware butchered Netwon

ninurtacig

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a real world scenario, you are still moving down, but relative to the elevator it is the same jump height as if you jumped in your house. But to an outside observer you are still moving down because you did not apply more force than what is applied during the elevator ride.
Which is what we've been saying the entire time.

If you can hurt yourself on the elevator, you can hurt yourself in your house. There is absolutely no difference whatsoever from the jumpers perspective.

I'll trump your 5 classes with a bachelors in physics, masters in computer science with concentration on mathematical modeling of continuous systems and currently researching for my PhD. AND he's absolutely correct. Jumping in an elevator that's not accelerating is exactly like jumping on solid ground. You need to go back to your introduction to classical mechanics and learn about intertial frames.

Relative to the elevator YES, but not to the outside frame.

If you are traveling DOWN in the elevator at 10 meters per second, and you JUMP at, oh lets say you are superman, 200 meters per second, the net force would be upward and you will be initially traveling up at 190 meters per second.

You overcame the forces that are applied to you during the elevator ride, so you move UP while the elevator is moving DOWN.

Which is what we've been saying the entire time.

If you can hurt yourself on the elevator, you can hurt yourself in your house. There is absolutely no difference whatsoever from the jumpers perspective.

I agree from the jumpers perspective.

Edited by Nighthawked

So it's just reading comprehension that you suck at?

No, the discussion was can you get hurt from an elevator and yes you can if you apply enough force to move UP in the outer frame

From original post: IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!!! When your in an elevator in real life and jump up you dont suddenly smash against the roof.

If you overcome all downwards forces, yes you will.

It is not realistic because ON THE OUTER FRAME you are still moving DOWN.

Newton's First Law:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

This is a physical law, and Bioware has violated it in the most horrific way.

Here is a test: go to a lift in game getting ready to move down, once it starts moving jump up and see what happens.

You stay in the same place and actually move up from the point of the jump while the elevator falls out beneath you. This has cost me many a repair bill!

IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!!! When your in an elevator in real life and jump up you dont suddenly smash against the roof.

If your in a plane traveling at 500 mph and you jump in the aisle do you wind up smashing out the tail of the plane?

NO! This is because of Newton's first law. The motion you are in because of the vehicle you are travelling in does not suddenly disappear because a small vector of force goes in the other direction.

The only way Bioware's version of physics could possibly work is if when we jump we some how convert into a light wave travelling at C.

Really, needing to appeal to special relativity and magical mass energy conversations to RETCON this horrible physics is just absurd.

I demand a fix.

Suspension of disbelief, i beleive this would aply to this situation.

No, the discussion was can you get hurt from an elevator and yes you can if you apply enough force to move UP in the outer frame

From original post: IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!!! When your in an elevator in real life and jump up you dont suddenly smash against the roof.

If you overcome all downwards forces, yes you will.

It is not realistic because ON THE OUTER FRAME you are still moving DOWN.

Ok, so at least we've confirmed that your reading comprehension is terrible.

The OP's point is, very succinctly: I don't get hurt when I jump on the ground, why am I getting hurt when I jump on elevators?

The answer is: Because jumping on elevators in SWTOR violates Newtonian physics.

I've guess you've never seen the airplane/space ride before..

Newton works...

Also I think Bioware has a good understanding of Newton..

Also another really cool video of physics, with slinkies!

Edited by Sathla

Ok, so at least we've confirmed that your reading comprehension is terrible.

The OP's point is, very succinctly: I don't get hurt when I jump on the ground, why am I getting hurt when I jump on elevators?

The answer is: Because jumping on elevators in SWTOR violates Newtonian physics.

How about because the ground stays where it is and the elevator is moving DOWN?

As I have said, if you overcome ALL, EVERY, DOWNWARD force applied to you and you move UP in the outer frame, the distance between you and the elevator will grow.

It does not happen to US because IN THE OUTER FRAME WE ARE STILL MOVING DOWNWARD. We do not have enough jumping force to start moving UP in the outer frame.

Newton's First Law:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

This is a physical law, and Bioware has violated it in the most horrific way.

Here is a test: go to a lift in game getting ready to move down, once it starts moving jump up and see what happens.

You stay in the same place and actually move up from the point of the jump while the elevator falls out beneath you. This has cost me many a repair bill!

IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!!! When your in an elevator in real life and jump up you dont suddenly smash against the roof.

If your in a plane traveling at 500 mph and you jump in the aisle do you wind up smashing out the tail of the plane?

NO! This is because of Newton's first law. The motion you are in because of the vehicle you are travelling in does not suddenly disappear because a small vector of force goes in the other direction.

The only way Bioware's version of physics could possibly work is if when we jump we some how convert into a light wave travelling at C.

Really, needing to appeal to special relativity and magical mass energy conversations to RETCON this horrible physics is just absurd.

I demand a fix.

Yet you haven't noticed that all the blasters in the game fire lazers, but they somehow don't move at the speed of light? And you can hear things in space?

If you are really bothered about such things in a game - go outside and enjoy the perfection of physics. Only mind that the gameplay might suck there.

This is a game and you shouldn't treat is as reality. Simply be more carefull and don't jump on elevators. It's not that difficult to remember.

How about because the ground stays where it is and the elevator is moving DOWN?

As I have said, if you overcome ALL, EVERY, DOWNWARD force applied to you and you move UP in the outer frame, the distance between you and the elevator will grow.

It does not happen to US because IN THE OUTER FRAME WE ARE STILL MOVING DOWNWARD. We do not have enough jumping force to start moving UP in the outer frame.

How are we back to this again?

There is 0, none, nada, zip, zilch, etc difference in any way whatsoever between jumping on flat ground, and jumping on an elevator, from the actor's p.o.v. None.

The only exception would be jumping high enough that you reach terminal velocity on the way down.

How are we back to this again?

There is 0, none, nada, zip, zilch, etc difference in any way whatsoever between jumping on flat ground, and jumping on an elevator, from the actor's p.o.v. None.

The only exception would be jumping high enough that you reach terminal velocity on the way down.

Yes I KNOW THAT. I am not an idiot, I know jumping in the elevator is the same as jumping on the ground RELATIVE TO YOU.

I am taking about the OUTSIDE FRAME HERE.

Not the actors point of view.

The NET FORCE.

It might look the same to you while you are in the elevator, but from the outside observer you are still MOVING DOWN because you did not overcome the forces applied to you and your current velocity.

However, if you were able to overcome all forces and your current downward velocity and move UP to the OUTSIDE OBSERVER, the distance between you and the elevator will increase.

Edited by Nighthawked

Successful brainy nerd troll is successful!

Newton's Laws are at work in this thread. You guys are falling for this troll post by the numbers!

At least it's not a "PvP is broken WAAAAAAA" or a "this game is like WoW it sucks/this game is not like WoW it sucks" post.

8.5/10 OP. Nice job. Next troll thread you post should be about the speeders and how we could not ride them because of the strain on our backs and legs from not being able to sit while riding them.

Yes I KNOW THAT. I am not an idiot, I know jumping in the elevator is the same as jumping on the ground RELATIVE TO YOU.

I am taking about the OUTSIDE FRAME HERE.

Not the actors point of view.

The NET FORCE.

It might look the same to you while you are in the elevator, but from the outside observer you are still MOVING DOWN because you did not overcome the forces applied to you and your current velocity.

The outer frame is irrelevant. It has no bearing on what happens to the actor.

If you jump on flat ground and don't get hurt, then you will not get hurt in the elevator either. (Again, barring terminal velocity interaction)

Hell, if we follow the path you're going down, why aren't your feet knocked out from under you every time you jump on flat ground? Have you ever tried jumping on a treadmill? The earth is moving like 1000 mph, it would be almost impossible! That's essentially what you're advocating here, and it's patently ridiculous.

The outer frame is irrelevant. It has no bearing on what happens to the actor.

If you jump on flat ground and don't get hurt, then you will not get hurt in the elevator either. (Again, barring terminal velocity interaction)

Hell, if we follow the path you're going down, why aren't your feet knocked out from under you every time you jump on flat ground? Have you ever tried jumping on a treadmill? The earth is moving like 1000 mph, it would be almost impossible! That's essentially what you're advocating here, and it's patently ridiculous.

Sigh.....again because you did not overcome the other forces.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.