TOR so far - two most urgent design flaws

Eviceus

I would like to point out changes that - in my opinion - would help a lot to make game experience more enjoyable.

This game has overall too much skills filling up toolbars, definitely first things to go should be "sprint" and basic "attack" ability.

1) change Sprint and analogic abilities to passive and available from lvl 1 (affect all classes)

changing sprint-like abilities to passive would:

a) make all players move faster out-of-combat from lvl 1, not waiting absolutely needlessly for lvl 14 to not move like a slug

b) remove 1 completely pointless skill from our bars

2) this game needs auto-attack (affect mainly all melee and ranged shooters (non-casters))

All classes in all MMOs I had ever played had "auto-attack" - i.e. basic swinging of their melee weapons against targeted enemy in range.

For some reason, in TOR you have to mash your very basic attack (for Juggernaut its "Assault") manually - its affect you through the entire game.

Creating auto-attack would:

a) make fighting with melee classes way more fluent with less mashing of the same button over and over

These two changes might seems trivial, but IMO its the trivial everyday things that actually make or break a game in the long run.

2) this game needs auto-attack (affect mainly all melee and ranged shooters (non-casters))

All classes in all MMOs I had ever played had "auto-attack" - i.e. basic swinging of their melee weapons against targeted enemy in range.

For some reason, in TOR you have to mash your very basic attack (for Juggernaut its "Assault") manually - its affect you through the entire game.

a) make fighting with melee classes way more fluent with less mashing of the same button over and over

Even with an auto-attack there would be some attack that don't use any Rage/Force/whathaveyou, so that would change nothing (and if you use that skill often you better learn to play, in most fights I never use it, because the mob is dead before I get that down on my force, only some elites and most champions and bosses survive that long).

I would like to point out changes that - in my opinion - would help a lot to make game experience more enjoyable.

This game has overall too much skills filling up toolbars, definitely first things to go should be "sprint" and basic "attack" ability.

1) change Sprint and analogic abilities to passive and available from lvl 1 (affect all classes)

changing sprint-like abilities to passive would:

a) make all players move faster out-of-combat from lvl 1, not waiting absolutely needlessly for lvl 14 to not move like a slug

These two changes might seems trivial, but IMO its the trivial everyday things that actually make or break a game in the long run.

I disagree with this post.

Most of the things you named I consider trivial, and deffintely arne't things that are going to make or break this game, not in the short or long run.

The main problem with this game is very simple. It gets very boring after 50. That's what needs to be addressed. Most of the stuff you named is just knitpicking IMHO, and the game has a lot more "urgent" problems than these.

1. I disagree, for me it's a milestone.. something to work for when rolling an alt, that drives me on like the speeder at lvl 25.

2. We had "autoattack", they removed it and imho the game is the better for it, I doubt it will ever make a comeback.

Well done missing the point of there being no auto attack.

It makes resource management a far more integral part of the combat system and means that you have to pay attention to what you are doing. I know this may be a drag for you that you cant just mash a 4 button rotation while your auto attack regenerated your resource without you having to think about it. But thats just personal preferance, not a design flaw.

To sum up, your second point, not a design flaw or a problem. L2P.

Edited by aimbotcfg

I don't support making this game more like WoW, played that game too long already...

The game is already more like WoW than it should be. You will find this out, if you haven't already, at end game. Dailies, heroics, Operations, pvp. How is this any different than WoW? Especially since the story and companion relationships, which are the hallmarks of this mmo, stop and are no longer a factor at end game.

Sad really. My lvl 50 is in moth balls at this point due to the repetitive nature of end game, which I refuse to get in to again with any mmo.

The game is already more like WoW than it should be. You will find this out, if you haven't already, at end game. Dailies, heroics, Operations, pvp. How is this any different than WoW? Especially since the story and companion relationships, which are the hallmarks of this mmo, stop and are no longer a factor at end game.

Sad really. My lvl 50 is in moth balls at this point due to the repetitive nature of end game, which I refuse to get in to again with any mmo.

This game is NOTHING like WoW. If it was, there would be already 2x more subs. Active subs I might add.

Your mash attack isnt pointless you need to build rage with it?

It is pointless if you could have this rage generation achieved the same way through auto-attack+abilities that actualy have cooldown.

It is pointless if we allready have our bars filled up with abilities which are often very similar.

No to auto-attack. I rarely use my basic attack anyway.

No to sprint being a base ability. It's fine at lvl 14, it's a small milestone. I would like it to persist through death though...

"but if it persists through death, it might as well be passive!!"

Not really. We may need to remove it when doing some careful jumping for holocrons, or playing with low level buddies, or even RPing. So leave the "useless" button to turn it on and off.

I prefer having more options, instead of removing them.

Edited by Raximillian

No to auto-attack. I rarely use my basic attack anyway.

Agreed. STO is a MMO which had auto-attack and then removed it because of technical conflicts with their cooldown & skill queue systems, and then returned it. That game needed the auto attack.

SWTOR doesn't need it. The GCD is one of the main reasons not to. It would be harder to get skills to trigger when competing against the auto-attack, and our default attack is so strong that if it were to be set outside the GCD it would require re-balancing the entire game.

No to sprint being a base ability. It's fine at lvl 14, it's a small milestone. I would like it to persist through death though...

"but if it persists through death, it might as well be passive!!"

Not really. We may need to remove it when doing some careful jumping for holocrons, or playing with low level buddies, or even RPing. So leave the "useless" button to turn it on and off.

Persisting through death is already on the test server.

I've done the starter planets more than 8 times already. I've never felt like I needed to have sprint, so I also say no to sprint at level 1. It's a reward for leveling, and the only way to have it be a reward is to know what it's like to not have it. Putting it at level 10 for warzones sounds reasonable to me, though.

Incidentally, I've gotten every datacron on the empire without turning off sprint. I still support it being an option for those that do want to turn it off for datacrons and for RPers. Fortunately we'll get it persisting through death.