The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can you run Pyro from range?

TheThrace

I keep getting left out of Hard Mode ops because they need ranged DPS. I figured to maximize DPS and have solid rotation as a PT Pyro u still need to be up close. Pyro gives u the most range capabilities but if you stay 30m the whole fight are you severely crippling yourself or is it passable DPS?

Youre definitely going to be crippling yourself staying at range, since you cant get the PPA proc by using flame burst or rocket punch, but you can still do pretty decent dps.

But the next question is why they aren't taking you even for melee dps, pyrotechs do insane dps.

Yeah good question. They are somehow convinced they need Ranged DPS for certain fights... and I am just a few peices of gear short but I can't get those pieces unless they bring me so....

I do insane DPS up close but yeah I was just wondering that... I dont see why i would have to be ranged tbh they havent given a rly good reason... and its not them making up excuses cuz im a bad they just really are convinced of that.

There are a lot of fights in this game that prefer range DPS.

It comes mainly from AOE boss abilities directed at a single target. If you say have a typical group, 1 tank, 1 heals and 2 DPS and the DPS are both melee that means you have 3 melee and one ranged. Now if that AOE is directed at the DPS or tank then all three will get hit by it making the healers job much harder. If it is an attack that broadcasts, such as a circle on the ground before it hits then the melee has a chance to run away, but this can hurt DPS as there will be lots of running away unless the heals wins the "get trolled by boss contest".

If I had my way I would take 2 ranged DPS in every group that I heal, just easier to do it like that.

There are a lot of fights in this game that prefer range DPS.

It comes mainly from AOE boss abilities directed at a single target. If you say have a typical group, 1 tank, 1 heals and 2 DPS and the DPS are both melee that means you have 3 melee and one ranged. Now if that AOE is directed at the DPS or tank then all three will get hit by it making the healers job much harder. If it is an attack that broadcasts, such as a circle on the ground before it hits then the melee has a chance to run away, but this can hurt DPS as there will be lots of running away unless the heals wins the "get trolled by boss contest".

If I had my way I would take 2 ranged DPS in every group that I heal, just easier to do it like that.

this^. but dont let it discourage you. just trick them that you are a hybrid range dpser lol

At least in pvp I rarely fight inside the pocket.

1: There a few moments to get in close. When I commit myself to removing a sage/trooper from the field - I melee.

2: When I dart in for a rocket punch, but I don't remain there.

Otherwise, I'm dancing between 10m - 15m range. Close enough to snag an RP and I'm within within range for flame burst.

I can't imagine why similar tactics wouldn't work for pve.

We only have 1 ability that requires melee range, and while 10m doesn't seem like much - its often enough.

At least in pvp I rarely fight inside the pocket.

1: There a few moments to get in close. When I commit myself to removing a sage/trooper from the field - I melee.

2: When I dart in for a rocket punch, but I don't remain there.

Otherwise, I'm dancing between 10m - 15m range. Close enough to snag an RP and I'm within within range for flame burst.

I can't imagine why similar tactics wouldn't work for pve.

We only have 1 ability that requires melee range, and while 10m doesn't seem like much - its often enough.

The differences is that you need to get within 4m every X seconds since RP is a huge dps increase for us

You should only be in melee range for Rocket Punch, and even then, it's an instant cast so you can hightail it out of there immediately. I would tell your group/guild that they're being overly anal, and if they're absolutely convinced they can't get past an encounter without a "true" ranged DPS, there is probably something else wrong.

The differences is that you need to get within 4m every X seconds since RP is a huge dps increase for us

Believe it or not, ive learned about RP. Often times in pvp, its simply not worth the exposure to use it. Its a net gain to remain outside the pocket then rush in there. Especially after earning primary target status on your server. If I refrain from that tempting RP, i can take better advantage of LoS, take less damage and therefore do more damage.

Edited by Sowwy