I'm Sorry You Suck At Sniper.

Arylia

Anyone that says sniper is weak in pvp simply isn't doing it right. At this point I have people abandoning points if I show up at it. Melee is a complete joke to fight when you know what you're doing. I know how to keep a melee off me for a full 15+ seconds without giving them even a single point of resolve. Imagine when I start using resolve mechanics. Melee on my server have totally given up on trying to kill me, even in pairs. Mercs/BHs are also a joke for the most part outside of those annoying tank specs that just take a while to beat into the ground. The only real challenge on the battlefield are sorcs/sages. And quite frankly, when I have all my cards, they fall as well.

I suggest you all stop trying to be immobile clay cannons. For those wondering, I'm a MM/Engineering hybrid. Why? Rapid fire doesn't really help in pvp, and 30% extra critical damage is a joke when I gain bonus damage on 3 attacks, and an extra dot that can be applied outside of cover. Oh, and don't doubt the power of roots. Remember, they only break on direct damage as well. And use your defensives before you're in trouble to prevent yourself from being in trouble in the first place. And if you're not fighting ranged, then get out of cover. Seriously. It's the difference between being a free kill and getting a free kill.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fight in the lvl 50 bracket and see how it is..because 1 to 49 is way different then the 50 bracket...

Well I got to level 50... dont do as much damage, lots of absorbs and deflects. Got a bucnh of champ gear, back to doing lots of damage and not as much of absorbs and deflects. I have to use shatter shot a bit more now to soften their anuses but otherwise its all the same - your team sucks u get killed lots, your team is good you don't.

People need to understand that 50 is a whole other game. It takes about the same amount of time to get competitive in there as it takes to get to 50.

Well I got to level 50... dont do as much damage, lots of absorbs and deflects. Got a bucnh of champ gear, back to doing lots of damage and not as much of absorbs and deflects. I have to use shatter shot a bit more now to soften their anuses but otherwise its all the same - your team sucks u get killed lots, your team is good you don't.

People need to understand that 50 is a whole other game. It takes about the same amount of time to get competitive in there as it takes to get to 50.

There was a post somewhere where somebody suggested that a sniper cannot carry a team which is true. No matter how hard you try you will not carry bad players. They will die and you will be the only target left to destroy.

I am a powertech - pyro specced - valor 56. It's a great class and quite powerful. The damage I put out is amazing. One day I was doing my normal solo pugging and ran into this sniper which at the time I believe was a MM spec. I thought wow this guy is good, he beat me up this round. I send him a tell and say well played. He then proceeded to attack me at will. He focused his whole time finding me as I left the starting point in Huttball.

He was toying with me really. He proceeded to time his leg shots perfectly. Dropped a armor penetration shot on me (whatever it's called) - then proceeded to unload on me. I couldn't get to him ... ever. 1 on 1 they shine very well. Honestly I own quite a bit as a powertech and when someone like that came at me and decided to wreck me he did it without blinking twice.

It made me roll a sniper actually. I thought it was amusing and quite frustrating. He knew he could do that - he was gilled in battlemaster gear - I'm in champ gear minus gloves. Still though ...

If I see a sniper before he sees me and I get to him ... I'll most likely win. If they have the player skill of this one guy when they want to truly hunt someone down? Wow is all I can say. They can keep me at bay. Now did that help him win huttball? No but it was truly epic on his part.

really? my pt is valor 45 my sorc is 30 both lvl 50, and its not so different from what ive seen, only diffirence is gear, and its not so hard to get champ gear.

play as a sniper then come back here...its a totally different ball game once you reach 50...your going to see a lot of white damage and DEFLECTION AND ABSORBED!! itl frustrate the hell out of you to the point you only play maybe 1 or 2 WZ then log off...

I am a powertech - pyro specced - valor 56. It's a great class and quite powerful. The damage I put out is amazing. One day I was doing my normal solo pugging and ran into this sniper which at the time I believe was a MM spec. I thought wow this guy is good, he beat me up this round. I send him a tell and say well played. He then proceeded to attack me at will. He focused his whole time finding me as I left the starting point in Huttball.

He was toying with me really. He proceeded to time his leg shots perfectly. Dropped a armor penetration shot on me (whatever it's called) - then proceeded to unload on me. I couldn't get to him ... ever. 1 on 1 they shine very well. Honestly I own quite a bit as a powertech and when someone like that came at me and decided to wreck me he did it without blinking twice.

It made me roll a sniper actually. I thought it was amusing and quite frustrating. He knew he could do that - he was gilled in battlemaster gear - I'm in champ gear minus gloves. Still though ...

If I see a sniper before he sees me and I get to him ... I'll most likely win. If they have the player skill of this one guy when they want to truly hunt someone down? Wow is all I can say. They can keep me at bay. Now did that help him win huttball? No but it was truly epic on his part.

My powertech is only level 40 and he's shield tech specced, but whenever an MM sniper starts focusing on me in a huttball match, I kinda have to laugh. Sure I still need expertise gear, but I find sages/sorcs to be far more of a problem because even if I do interrupt their lightning/pebble attack, they'll just be using it again in a few seconds. If a sniper blows a legshot to keep you in for orbital strike, they wasted it unless you're the ball carrier/on your way to ab objective. I'd rather save that legshot for a marauder/sentinel because of what they can do if they get up close, a powertech still has options at range anyway.

The CC of a sniper is nice, but it's nothing compared to the real bane of my existence: Sorc/Sage, but I think everyone is in agreement there.

As for PvE, I'm still on Balmorra with Kaliyo and so far it's okay, but my merc still tears through things faster, and I can swap over to combat support cylinder to act as a pseudo-healer in a group if needed (arsenal spec, not bodyguard), though I'd still prefer a sorc healer (are we all sensing a pattern here? :p).

When it comes to HM FPs and Ops, a good MM sniper will shine, but so will any dps because the groups will be heavily coordinated to finish those instances in the first place.

The CC of a sniper is nice, but it's nothing compared to the real bane of my existence: Sorc/Sage, but I think everyone is in agreement there.

I don't know - I tear through sorcs and sages as a BH - interrupts galore - between the grapple, electro dart, quell, and aoe freeze it's pretty much I burst them more than they can me. If they run I typically save the grapple unless they get the jump on me at 30m so I'll pull them over.

I don't know - I tear through sorcs and sages as a BH - interrupts galore - between the grapple, electro dart, quell, and aoe freeze it's pretty much I burst them more than they can me. If they run I typically save the grapple unless they get the jump on me at 30m so I'll pull them over.

Well, he is a tank and tanks are good vs MM Snipers and totally blow vs Sorcs. In your case it is the other way around.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/screenshot2012020623001.jpg/

Today played with pub, Engineer spec 7/31/3 with much AoE . 530k dmg - because of Orbital Strike + Plasma Probe and good teammates :)

I am not battlemaster yet , only 56 valor rank and I have only champ/cent PvP gear mixed with some PvE stuffs

lol 500k+ and only 26 kills. That is the definition of stand in the stupid.

Anyways i applaud you for playing engineering.

What I realised about my GS is that it is not really me who is bad it is most of the time everyone else. Normally when I can't kill anything it is because the front line is dying/not getting heals. Often I am the last person left alive in the backlines. I am very hard to kill sitting in the backlines next to the healers. I have so much CC that some classes really just arn't a threat. I see marauders coming from a mile away and most of the time they avoid me since they know I am going to knock them back, then do it again, then stun them, then root then, then dodge their attacks for 3s, then accuracy debuff them.

GS do have issues with killing things with high armour but at the end of the day there should be other DPS around and if your frontlines are just dying then it is not because our class is bad, it is because we don't have the proper support around us. Even when I am the last one standing I can make 4 people have to try to kill me with all my CC. The caveat is our CC is all defensive for the most part not offensive i.e. no ranged stuns to help take down targets etc.

I dont see why people are trash talking the sniper, I've played a sniper since I've bought this game and i have hit 8-9 medals 80% of my games, always get 40+ kills and ALWAYS top damage, so to say a sniper is not very good in PvP is ridiculous, and in PvE i can dish out heavy hits that are on par with a mercenary's tracer missile which is basically a kid with downsyndrome doing 1 attack lol

• 1 month later...

Have you ever heard of a Sniper walking up in front of someone and blasting them in their face with their 50 cal in real life? Me neither.

Have you ever heard of someone surviving a round from a 50 caliber sniper rifle? Have you ever heard of lightsabers in real life?Me neither.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/screenshot2012020623001.jpg/

Today played with pub, Engineer spec 7/31/3 with much AoE . 530k dmg - because of Orbital Strike + Plasma Probe and good teammates :)

I am not battlemaster yet , only 56 valor rank and I have only champ/cent PvP gear mixed with some PvE stuffs

Today I played annihilation specc and did 400k dmg with no aoe, just single target damage.Give me aoe abilities and I do like what 1mil? 50-70 kills per match also and way more cc.But of course doing 2k dmg to 6 people is so much more important than killing a healer in 10 seconds.Have you considered going pro?

Today I played annihilation specc and did 400k dmg with no aoe, just single target damage.Give me aoe abilities and I do like what 1mil? 50-70 kills per match also and way more cc.But of course doing 2k dmg to 6 people is so much more important than killing a healer in 10 seconds.Have you considered going pro?

:( @ unnecessary necro thread

:rolleyes: @ 1mil damage

We have 17 pages of "egomaniacs" versus "sky is falling" arguments, yet not 1 person has posted a video. If you're going to make claims like "i keep melee off me for 15+seconds", "people run away from me", "I can take on 2 v 1"...just post a video proving it...it's not that hard.

Posting a video is a much better way to make a argument and highlight your skills versus screenshots or just talking about it. There is no need to TELL us how great you are anymore. The technology exists for you to SHOW us how great by doing a video. Then, there is no argument.

I'm rank 75 and played all the different specs. You can definitely do top dmg in WZs and take screenshots showing you as "leet"...especially with good orbital strikes and the right mix of healers...with almost any spec.

However, the issue is how the class will play out in rated WZs. Much like Hunters in WoW or non-affliction Warlocks, do they bring enough other things to the table than damage?

If someone needs to get from east to west in Civil War, can a slow sniper help as much as others?

If you need to run the ball in a pinch in Huttball, are you a liability or asset?

If people can sprint across the bridge in Voidstar to tag a door or stop somebody, but you can't, will you be that much of an asset with just damage?

If people can stealth AND do great damage, are they a better teammate to have in capturing objectives and defending than an immobile sniper?

If a DPS can do similar dmg but also off-heal, would they be more of an asset to the group than a sniper?

If you can speed burst other team members, would they be more of an asset to the group than a sniper?

If you could make other team members have stealth and capture an objective easily, would they be more of an asset to the group than a sniper?

If you could guard other team members and dart around the battlefield (including the z-axis) quickly, would they be more of an asset than a sniper?

If you could pull targets exactly where you wanted to focus them down, would they be more of an asset than a sniper?

No matter what "premades" you're seeing now...it's going to be much more coordinated with rated WZs...dispels and los tactics will be used to neuter snipers.

It doesn't mean the sky is falling, but using current experience in PuG WZs (or at most 4 premades) to say nothing is wrong with snipers/gs is naive...especially when you don't have the balls to post a video.

Edited by optimacy

Have you ever heard of someone surviving a round from a 50 caliber sniper rifle? Have you ever heard of lightsabers in real life?Me neither.

Have you heard of necroposting? How far down did you have to dig to find this and still think it was a good idea to come talk ****?

You might want to be specific. Entrench only works against knockbacks in PVP. It does nothing to protect you in PVE. And from what I have seen/heard that is working as intended. :(

It works on nightmare 16m foreman crusher, preventing you from being knocked back by his aoe knockback.

It does not work on Bonethrasher... because that would be insanely overpowered ;P

We have 17 pages of "egomaniacs" versus "sky is falling" arguments, yet not 1 person has posted a video. If you're going to make claims like "i keep melee off me for 15+seconds", "people run away from me", "I can take on 2 v 1"...just post a video proving it...it's not that hard.

Posting a video is a much better way to make a argument and highlight your skills versus screenshots or just talking about it. There is no need to TELL us how great you are anymore. The technology exists for you to SHOW us how great by doing a video. Then, there is no argument.

I'm rank 75 and played all the different specs. You can definitely do top dmg in WZs and take screenshots showing you as "leet"...especially with good orbital strikes and the right mix of healers...with almost any spec.

However, the issue is how the class will play out in rated WZs. Much like Hunters in WoW or non-affliction Warlocks, do they bring enough other things to the table than damage?

If someone needs to get from east to west in Civil War, can a slow sniper help as much as others?

If you need to run the ball in a pinch in Huttball, are you a liability or asset?

If people can sprint across the bridge in Voidstar to tag a door or stop somebody, but you can't, will you be that much of an asset with just damage?

If people can stealth AND do great damage, are they a better teammate to have in capturing objectives and defending than an immobile sniper?

If a DPS can do similar dmg but also off-heal, would they be more of an asset to the group than a sniper?

If you can speed burst other team members, would they be more of an asset to the group than a sniper?

If you could make other team members have stealth and capture an objective easily, would they be more of an asset to the group than a sniper?

If you could guard other team members and dart around the battlefield (including the z-axis) quickly, would they be more of an asset than a sniper?

If you could pull targets exactly where you wanted to focus them down, would they be more of an asset than a sniper?

No matter what "premades" you're seeing now...it's going to be much more coordinated with rated WZs...dispels and los tactics will be used to neuter snipers.

It doesn't mean the sky is falling, but using current experience in PuG WZs (or at most 4 premades) to say nothing is wrong with snipers/gs is naive...especially when you don't have the balls to post a video.

Yeah, the issue with Snipers in PvP has never really been one of damage/medals to me. It has always been an issue of utility.

Snipers are a great PvE class, and are fine at collecting kills in WZs. But they don't have the added utility other classes have in PvP - the ability to pull targets, the ability to leap up ledges, the ability to sprint, and so on. This is less of an issue in Alderaan or Voidstar (though still an issue), but it's a huge problem in Huttball. I groan if I get a Huttball group with more than one other sniper in it, because we can't really do anything but damage.

Sith Sorcs rule huttball - at least until the 1.2 nerfbat hits.

It works on nightmare 16m foreman crusher, preventing you from being knocked back by his aoe knockback.

It does not work on Bonethrasher... because that would be insanely overpowered ;P

Well, seeing the zombie is up and walking anyway...

I went ahead and threw up an Entrench against the Boss in Down the Hole on my Gunslinger and it prevented his Grapple Hook from pulling me in. I saw the line shoot out at me then it just faded away.

So unless it's something specific for Sniper vs Gunslinger Entrench, looks like it does work in PvE except vs specific bosses.

(If I remember correctly, I remember a few patch notes where they specifically said "XXXX's Grapple will automatically hit everyone in range to be sure this encounter works as intended" [That's REALLY bad paraphrasing, but it was from like the week 2 or 3 patch])

Yeah, the issue with Snipers in PvP has never really been one of damage/medals to me. It has always been an issue of utility.

Snipers are a great PvE class, and are fine at collecting kills in WZs. But they don't have the added utility other classes have in PvP - the ability to pull targets, the ability to leap up ledges, the ability to sprint, and so on. This is less of an issue in Alderaan or Voidstar (though still an issue), but it's a huge problem in Huttball. I groan if I get a Huttball group with more than one other sniper in it, because we can't really do anything but damage.

Sith Sorcs rule huttball - at least until the 1.2 nerfbat hits.

Actually, in huttball, snipers have a huge utility. If you position yourself in the catwalks area and the ball carrier or anyone else is coming your way, the best thing a sniper can do is fling them off with Cover Pulse(or Ambush with Heavy Shot) or Leg Shot them in a fire pit. As well, they are the only ones who can plant themselves on the spot and not have to worry about being leaped. Operatives have to find natural cover I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.

A good sniper in a game of Huttball should always focus on defending your score zone, because they have some of the best abilities to stop ball carrying.

Actually, in huttball, snipers have a huge utility. If you position yourself in the catwalks area and the ball carrier or anyone else is coming your way, the best thing a sniper can do is fling them off with Cover Pulse(or Ambush with Heavy Shot) or Leg Shot them in a fire pit. As well, they are the only ones who can plant themselves on the spot and not have to worry about being leaped. Operatives have to find natural cover I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.

A good sniper in a game of Huttball should always focus on defending your score zone, because they have some of the best abilities to stop ball carrying.

I don't disagree with this, but my argument was that we don't have much versatility - not that we have no role at all. Particularly in huttball, where all we are good at is picking a spot and hurting stuff strategically.

Pretty much every class has the abilities to knockback and stun people - but of course, our knockback is hamstrung by requiring the half-second to get in cover first, which messes up precision timing. And our leg shots get deflected far more often than is reasonable.

We can't run the ball effectively. We can't pull people. We can't jump up entire levels of the map. We also aren't ideal at even moving with the ball carrier to provide support.

You can still have fun and be useful in a huttball match, but I don't think there's any question that we are basically the least useful of the classes in that particular WZ - all other things being equal.