[Theorycrafting/Discussion] Mechanical Discoveries & Myths

AstralFire

Whirling Blow triggers Particle Acceleration on cast, not on hit. Just spamming it in an empty room will give you Particle Acceleration procs.

This also presumably means that having more targets around you when you use Whirling Blow does not increase the chance for PA procs.

• 2 weeks later...
Just discovered a potential bug: Force in Balance doesn't appear to increase its healing if you hit more than 1 target.

I'm pretty sure I tested that out, it doesn't show because all the healingnumbers stack ontop of eachother, but if I remember correctly I did a few tries while checking my healthbar and i got the heal for all 3 targets

Not specific to Shadows, but definitely relevant to Kinetic specs:

Shield Rating and Defence Rating only work against attacks listed as doing 'Weapon Damage'. Attacks that do Kinetic/Energy/Internal/Elemental damage entirely bypass both Defence and Shield. Unfortunately, that is the vast majority of attacks players can do in the game. In PvP, gearing to be an all-out tank will only net you increased defence against a Gunslinger/Sniper or a Knight/Warrior. And that's only if they're specced into their trees that do Weapon Damage.

Not specific to Shadows, but definitely relevant to Kinetic specs:

Shield Rating and Defence Rating only work against attacks listed as doing 'Weapon Damage'. Attacks that do Kinetic/Energy/Internal/Elemental damage entirely bypass both Defence and Shield. Unfortunately, that is the vast majority of attacks players can do in the game. In PvP, gearing to be an all-out tank will only net you increased defence against a Gunslinger/Sniper or a Knight/Warrior. And that's only if they're specced into their trees that do Weapon Damage.

Offtopic but I thought about that earlier this week, is there actually anyway to defend yourself against magic except with armor? I mean accuracy above 100% reduces enemy resistance, but there doesn't seem to be a way to increase your resistance, which makes both those stats kinda weird.

Offtopic but I thought about that earlier this week, is there actually anyway to defend yourself against magic except with armor? I mean accuracy above 100% reduces enemy resistance, but there doesn't seem to be a way to increase your resistance, which makes both those stats kinda weird.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but accuracy over 100% reduces enemy defense, not resistance, and defense doesn't affect non-weapon attacks anyways.

[EDIT] The first part of my statement is wrong. Accuracy over 100% reduces force/tech resistance, at least according to the paper doll tooltips. It's just that force/tech resistance is unaffected by increasing the Defense stat, which only increases melee/ranged defense. That is an odd dichotomy: it's very hard to increase force/tech resistance, but very easy to increase accuracy, so force/tech resistance in small quantities is basically useless.

Edited by Samyrius

You are wrong =D

err, he's completely right. Defense does nothing against Force/Tech attacks (ie 'magic' attacks). Force/Tech attacks are the ones that deal yellow damage, which for most classes other than the Shadow/Sin and gun build Gunslingers/Snipers make up the majority of their high DPS attacks. You also cannot Shield against attacks that deal anything other than 'Weapon Damage', which again make the majority of high DPS attacks undefendable.

You also cannot Shield against attacks that deal anything other than 'Weapon Damage', which again make the majority of high DPS attacks undefendable.

You can shield any attack that is melee/ranged. The ability to shield an attack is determined by the type of attack, not the damage type. Damage type (Kinetic, Energy, Internal, Elemental) simply determine which of your damage reduction values are used. Attack type (melee, ranged, Force, Tech) determines what defense chance is applied (defense or resistance) as well as whether the attack can be shielded (melee/ranged can; Force/Tech cannot).

You can shield any attack that is melee/ranged. The ability to shield an attack is determined by the type of attack, not the damage type. Damage type (Kinetic, Energy, Internal, Elemental) simply determine which of your damage reduction values are used. Attack type (melee, ranged, Force, Tech) determines what defense chance is applied (defense or resistance) as well as whether the attack can be shielded (melee/ranged can; Force/Tech cannot).

You should probably look over some of the other classes hotbars, and see just how few of them are actually melee/ranged (if the attack says it deals 'Weapon Damage', it can be shielded/defended. If it doesn't, you have no defence other than your damage reduction stat).

Shadows/Assassins are somewhat unlucky in that all their melee moves deal Weapon Damage and can be shielded/defended against. Gunslingers/Snipers have the same issue in their Marksman builds. But Sorcs/Sages, Mercs/Commandos and Ops/Scoundrels are laughing because nearly all of their hard hitting, high DPS attacks (ie the ones that actually kill you...) are un-defendable. It's no wonder those 3 classes are sitting tall on the top of the DPS trees atm. They kill everything because no-one - not even tanks - can survive against them due to defensive stats being useless.

err, he's completely right. Defense does nothing against Force/Tech attacks (ie 'magic' attacks). Force/Tech attacks are the ones that deal yellow damage, which for most classes other than the Shadow/Sin and gun build Gunslingers/Snipers make up the majority of their high DPS attacks. You also cannot Shield against attacks that deal anything other than 'Weapon Damage', which again make the majority of high DPS attacks undefendable.

He is wrong, as accuracy (if you check your Force tab, forceaccuracy or whatever) does reduce the enemy resistance, you just put the emphasis on the wrong part of the post bro =D

The only attacks that are melee/ranged are ones that state they deal "weapon damage" (which is not one of the four damage types, but implies that the damage type of the attack is determined by the weapon you're using). Anything else is force/tech.

Edited by Samyrius

The only attacks that are melee/ranged are ones that state they deal "weapon damage"

That's a false correlation though. It's entirely possible for the developers to create a melee/ranged attack that doesn't deal "weapon damage" and instead deals internal or elemental yet is still governed by your weapon's damage values.

That's a false correlation though. It's entirely possible for the developers to create a melee/ranged attack that doesn't deal "weapon damage" and instead deals internal or elemental yet is still governed by your weapon's damage values.

I think we're just arguing semantics. Currently all melee/ranged attacks say that they do "weapon damage" in the tooltip. Obviously this tooltip notation could be subject to change in the future, but nobody can really speak to that. It's a handy way to determine what defense protects against a particular attack, since there doesn't seem to be any other way to distinguish them that I know of (barring white/yellow flytext).

As a sidenote, even if they did implement that hypothetical melee elemental attack, it could easily still read "deals weapon damage as elemental damage" in the tooltip, continuing the trend.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.