What is the REAL deal with WIFI gaming...

Clown_Envy

The fact of the matter is no matter how amazing your wifi is you have more of a chance to drop a wifi connection then a wired connection so yes in online gaming wired>wifi all the way though it has nothing to do with which is a better connection when connected.

Edit: Just do what I did I got tired of losing the signal so i just bought an ethernet cable and ran it right to me lol! They're pretty cheap, I got 2 50 foot cables and a connector for like 40 bucks.

Edited by Shockbeard

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the difference, does not make what I stated false.

It is entirely possible I am misunderstanding what you stated. My interpretation of your reply was:

"Due to > 100 mb connections, we will not see a speed difference". Where in fact, the bandwidth has no bearing on the speed. You can have a 100mb/s connection that has a 5000 latency (Satellite internet for example). I believe you may have meant that with today's connections being what they are, very few if any providers will provide anything that is drastically different on speed (eg Verizon, Comcast & what not).

I apologize if I did misunderstand and hope this clears it up.

I know this is silly but what is rubberbanding?

It's a disagreement between your client and the server on the position of moving objects, such as your character, other characters and NPCs. When the server corrects the client you'll find your character being suddenly repositioned to what the server believes is the correct location, regardless of where you were according to your client.

From a gameplay perspective, an example would be racing your character down a hallway and taking a sudden turn through an open doorway on the right side of the hall, and then continuing down the hallway beyond that door. At least, that is what your client believes you are doing. But then it receives an update from the server insisting that your character never made it far enough down the first hallway to reach the doorway. This disagreement between the server and the client usually happens because of latency or packet loss. And since the server is king, it updates the position of your client as still being in the hallway, at which point your turn (which was supposed to send you through an open doorway) instead causes your character to smack into the wall several feet before the doorway.

Visually, you will see your character run down the hall, turn through the doorway, run down the next hall, and suddenly reappear back at the first hall and slamming into the hallway walls. That's called rubberbanding because objects in motion are being snapped back to a previous position.

Edited by Apax

It's a disagreement between your client and the server on the position of moving objects, such as your character, other characters and NPCs. When the server corrects the client you'll find your character being suddenly repositioned to what the server believes is the correct location, regardless of where you were according to your client.

From a gameplay perspective, an example would be racing your character down a hallway and taking a sudden turn through an open doorway on the right side of the hall, and then continuing down the hallway beyond that door. At least, that is what your client believes you are doing. But then it receives an update from the server insisting that your character never made it far enough down the first hallway to reach the doorway. This disagreement between the server and the client usually happens because of latency or packet loss. And since the server is king, it updates the position of your client as still being in the hallway, at which point your turn (which was supposed to send you through an open doorway) instead causes your character to smack into the wall several feet before the doorway.

Visually, you will see your character run down the hall, turn through the doorway, run down the next hall, and suddenly reappear back at the first hall and slamming into the hallway walls. That's called rubberbanding because objects in motion are being snapped back to a previous position.

(THank you for this, makes perfect sense)

It is entirely possible I am misunderstanding what you stated. My interpretation of your reply was:

"Due to > 100 mb connections, we will not see a speed difference". Where in fact, the bandwidth has no bearing on the speed. You can have a 100mb/s connection that has a 5000 latency (Satellite internet for example). I believe you may have meant that with today's connections being what they are, very few if any providers will provide anything that is drastically different on speed (eg Verizon, Comcast & what not).

I apologize if I did misunderstand and hope this clears it up.

Maximum bandwidth is directly correlated to the maximum speed. If you consider that bandwidth is a pipe, and speed is a flow, your speed can be no greater than what the pipe will allow.. Since most broadband connections cap out below a 54 mbs speed, yet that is the average bottom end for a wireless connection, your speed and bandwitdh to the internet will be determined solely by the modem, not the router.

Since most modern N implementations support greater then 100mbs "pipe" and most wired routers have 10/100 connections you will more then likely get at least as fast of connections to other computers in the network, if not faster. That is unless you get gigabit routers.

Latency is a 3rd, outside of bandwidth and speed, however again can be influenced by speed. If you saturate your network with data/requests you can increase your latency, however in most cases items not on your network influence your latency (RF, router issues further upstream) and such.

I am speaking purely of network connections, nothing to do with specific providers or the connections they offer (because their speed and bandwidth are still dramatically lower then that of the home network). This is of course unless you can get fibre.

You should be fine. As people have mentioned, WIFI is more latent, so the round trip time for every packet you send to the server will be longer, but the number of packets you can send in a given second is adequate. Latency drops cause lag and are especially pronounced in large group content where you are trying to calculate lots of coordinates on the server and relay them to all the clients that are positioned in that small area.

Bandwidth

Bandwidth is the amount of data that can be passed along a communications channel in a given period of time. ISP's commonly refer to Bandwidth when they are speaking of speed. When you hear 15mb / second, that is strictly speaking of the bandwidth, but not the actual speed. This rating has very little bearing on games today as their data throughput or bandwidth usage is relatively low compared to what high speed internet provides.

Always amused me when the Xfinity guy was trying to push the higher bandwidth option on me as "better for gaming". I basically told him that he needs to go learn what he's talking about.

But anyways: Parent's house over xmas, <10 ft (vertically) from their U-verse wifi router. Frequent disconnects.

Home, wired connection. No disconnects.

For my money, go wired. Unless there are substantial reasons against it you're always better off.

Maximum bandwidth is directly correlated to the maximum speed. If you consider that bandwidth is a pipe, and speed is a flow, your speed can be no greater than what the pipe will allow.. Since most broadband connections cap out below a 54 mbs speed, yet that is the average bottom end for a wireless connection, your speed and bandwitdh to the internet will be determined solely by the modem, not the router.

Not really. Keep the pipe analogy. High bandwidth is a wide pipe with a radius of 5ft vs 5inches. If the water is travelling the same speed, far more water goes through the 5ft pipe in a time period than the 5inch pipe. High speed is a pipe where the water is flowing through at 50mph instead of 5mph.

RF signal travels at 5mph. Electricity over the wire travels at 50mph.

Always amused me when the Xfinity guy was trying to push the higher bandwidth option on me as "better for gaming". I basically told him that he needs to go learn what he's talking about.

But anyways: Parent's house over xmas, <10 ft (vertically) from their U-verse wifi router. Frequent disconnects.

Home, wired connection. No disconnects.

For my money, go wired. Unless there are substantial reasons against it you're always better off.

That is because the modem/wireless routers broadband providers are crap, better off getting your own modem and router and using it.

Not really. Keep the pipe analogy. High bandwidth is a wide pipe with a radius of 5ft vs 5inches. If the water is travelling the same speed, far more water goes through the 5ft pipe in a time period than the 5inch pipe. High speed is a pipe where the water is flowing through at 50mph instead of 5mph.

RF signal travels at 5mph. Electricity over the wire travels at 50mph.

Exactly what I am saying.... The larger your bandwidth the larger the the maximum flow, or speed you can have Speed is at a time, how much water you can push through in a given time. Which all things considered equal will always be better in the larger pipe.

I haven't owned a desktop in forever and laptop+wifi game all the time...can hardly remember the last time my wifi signal was dropped. Bottom line is if you are getting disconnected from a game over WIFI these days its because...

a) You have a crappy router, go buy a decent one and it doesnt even have to be more than $40-50

b) You don't have the router configured properly...blocked ports or interference from broadcast channel

c) Your ISP sucks and they are dropping your connection. This would still effect a wired connection.

d) You live in a bunker where all your walls are reinforced concrete or a mansion where the router is 100' from your computer.

For a MMO game, wired over WIFI has no benifit. For a FPS where milliseconds in reaction time can mean life or death, then yes wired is usually beneficial. If you want a gaming laptop because you like to play on the couch or when you travel then get it for those reasons... don't scare away because of a few ms of wifi lag.

So...I've played this game on a wired cable connection and a wireless DSL connection. Only 10 ms difference in latency. From my personal experience, it hasn't made a bit of difference. Still running between 50 to 70 ms, regardless of what I'm using, wired or not.