Where did "Color Match" go?

Jerudo

I'm loving the game thus far (level 42 BH + a multitude of alts) but I was wondering where Color Match went. In beta, Color Match was a feature that matched the color of your armor to the main colors of your chest piece. It was absolutely brilliant because my characters always looked cohesive, and it was toggable, which allowed me to decide how I wanted my character to look.

But now Color Match is gone, and I spend a lot of time trying to look for matching armor, or hating the armor I do have because it doesn't work together visually.

Does anyone else miss Color Match? Does anyone know where it went?

I'm loving the game thus far (level 42 BH + a multitude of alts) but I was wondering where Color Match went. In beta, Color Match was a feature that matched the color of your armor to the main colors of your chest piece. It was absolutely brilliant because my characters always looked cohesive, and it was toggable, which allowed me to decide how I wanted my character to look.

But now Color Match is gone, and I spend a lot of time trying to look for matching armor, or hating the armor I do have because it doesn't work together visually.

Does anyone else miss Color Match? Does anyone know where it went?

They took it out infavor of creating a new better version. They are working on it but i don't believe they have stated a time frame on when it will make it back in

They took it out infavor of creating a new better version. They are working on it but i don't believe they have stated a time frame on when it will make it back in

That's such a weird excuse, it's not like they need to take it away from the live client to work on something else. I seriously don't understand it at all, either they are lying or...they have some weird ideas about implementation.

I have this horrible feeling they're holding it back as a carrot, but of course that's just speculation.

That's such a weird excuse, it's not like they need to take it away from the live client to work on something else. I seriously don't understand it at all, either they are lying or...they have some weird ideas about implementation.

I have this horrible feeling they're holding it back as a carrot, but of course that's just speculation.

it was never in the live version of the game, it was taken out before beta ended. Their specific reason was because the system made all the armor look the same and made players feel that they were not progressing gear wise through the lvl'ing proccess, not saying it was a good excuse or not but no conspiracy theory needs to come out of it regardless. There is a Dev article or post about this somewhere if you want to search for it.

it was never in the live version of the game, it was taken out before beta ended. Their specific reason was because the system made all the armor look the same and made players feel that they were not progressing gear wise through the lvl'ing proccess, not saying it was a good excuse or not but no conspiracy theory needs to come out of it regardless. There is a Dev article or post about this somewhere if you want to search for it.

This...peeps would get an orange piece of gear at level 10 and keep it all the way up and then complain that they didnt feel like their gear was advancing...all though they were updating mods in the armor....because the look wasnt changing and players evidently were not smart enough to realize that is was their fault that they werent changing looks.....

I know I loved my Cademimu snipers jacket and still have it though I dont wear it currently since I have some purple gear that I hate the looks of.

And as he said, there was a really long polite Dev post explaining why they took it out.

Thanks for the responses. I'll try to see if I can find the Dev post about it.

I use Orange Gear for the most part, and upgrade my mods. I feel like I am progressing because I add new mods. I can see why others might not feel the same way, but Orange gear is great for me because I almost feel like my characters have consistent costumes, like a comic book superhero or even a Star Wars character. Plenty of quests give out mods as a reward, and you can purchase awesome mods with commendations.

It would have been strange to see Boba Fett is one suit at Cloud City and a completely different one at Jabba's Palace. Or most of the same suit but different gloves or a different helmet.

I hope they put Color Match back in. As a previous poster said, you can always switch it off or don't use Orange Armor if you need to see your progression visually.

They originally took it out because, and I'm paraphrasing, "We wanted to see what would happen if we took it out."

Then live rolled around and it was still gone despite getting a response to the beta backlash that roughly said, "This is obviously popular, but we want you to know we take things out to test player response to change."

We were then told they would bring it back in one form or another, and that they were "really excited" by the ideas they had for a new and improved version of color-matching.

Here we are post one month and there's been zero word on progress toward bringing the feature back (in any form).

This is one of those things that really bothers me. I can't bring myself to play a trooper until it's back in.

Edited by Dezzi

Sounds eerily similar to the high resolution texture issue. Had them nice and dandy during beta then towards the end was told they would be disabled so that more testers can come on in the final weekends without having to download the full content of the game. Since then we;ve been getting the runaround when they can be re-enabled.

Instead of spinning conspiracy theories and seeing who can make up the stupidest one, why not read the original developer message?

http://www.swtor.com/blog/why-unify-color-chest-piece-gone-and-whats-next

That's not the original developer message.

It's not a conspiracy. There's no web of half-truths. The first developer response was lost with the beta forum wipe, though I haven't bothered to dig through posting histories. It was Georg who originally spoke to general testers about this issue. He's the one who said they were testing our reactions to missing features (paraphrasing again).

:rolleyes:

Edited by Dezzi

It's not a conspiracy. There's no web of half-truths. The first developer response was lost with the beta forum wipe, though I haven't bothered to dig through posting histories. It was Georg who originally spoke to general testers about this issue. He's the one who said they were testing our reactions to missing features (paraphrasing again).

So, pretty much what was said in the (later? Sorry, it's the first I read about it, I wasn't in the early beta) post I linked to.

If anything, the live changes we made during testing to other systems (like the cover system or the item modification system) have shown us how confusing switching things under people's noses can be.

Test: How do people react when you yank the rug out from under them without warning?

Result: They get pretty pissed, dude.

Conclusion: We should probably not do that. It would be bad.

Comment From Auditor: Wait, we PAID you to figure this out?

So, pretty much what was said in the (later? Sorry, it's the first I read about it, I wasn't in the early beta) post I linked to.

Test: How do people react when you yank the rug out from under them without warning?

Result: They get pretty pissed, dude.

Conclusion: We should probably not do that. It would be bad.

Comment From Auditor: Wait, we PAID you to figure this out?

Exactly.

But that begs the question: If all they really did was test our response to having features removed (and how we cope with those changes), then why the later response about itemization and the perception of a loss of progression?

This team has a habit of saying one thing, backtracking in the face of foaming outrage, giving us a new reason with some technical jargon thrown in, and then giving us the "Coming soon!" they're so (in)famous for.

I don't understand why we couldn't have the original system until they put in their new system.

Here's a conspiracy theory for you: Because they want to label it as "new content" when it finally does roll out.

Edited by Dezzi

It may not be the first response, but it is the current response. If you want to know about color matching, the blog entry from December is the latest update.

I don't understand why we couldn't have the original system until they put in their new system.

For exactly the reason they said -- if they have System A, then yoink it for System B, even if B is better, people will be pissed.

Remember, most players WEREN'T in beta and don't miss what they never had. If they know they'll be introducing a new system which mandates removing an old one, and they'll be doing it soon, it makes very little sense to keep the old one in place, when removing it a few months down the road will just annoy and confuse people for no reason.

EDIT: Also, every system has bugs. So, if they have "match to chestplate" on live, then, for whatever time they take getting the "new" system in place, they also have to have coders working on whatever bugs show up in "Match To Chestplate"... all the while knowing that the system is going to be replaced soon. That means those coders will NOT be working on the new system, so it takes that much longer to get the new system developed.

If you were the manager, and you had limited resources to allocate, which would you do?

a)Keep an old system in place, dedicating resources to it, when the only people who'd miss it would be the beta testers, who represent a tiny fraction of the commercial customers?

b)Allocate as many resources as viable towards developing a better system, avoiding both the problem of splitting your teams into "maintain old" and "develop new", and the problem of "Great, now everyone's used to the old system, now no matter how good the new system is, people will ***** they want the old one back."

(I mean, I think the current GTN interface is one of the worst-designed kludges I've seen, but when they finally get around to fixing it, SOMEONE is going to whine that the old one was better, just because it's the one they're used to.)

Edited by LizardSF

It's easier to open preferences, go to the social tab, and select "Unify Colors to Chestplate."

Getting a set of matching gear is easier for some classes than others. I have eight characters ranging from level 1 to level 49. My BH by far looked the worst. I have a nice matching set for him now but he looked like a homeless clown for most of the time.

They really need to get gear under control... Some of it just looks terrible.

For exactly the reason they said -- if they have System A, then yoink it for System B, even if B is better, people will be pissed.

Remember, most players WEREN'T in beta and don't miss what they never had. If they know they'll be introducing a new system which mandates removing an old one, and they'll be doing it soon, it makes very little sense to keep the old one in place, when removing it a few months down the road will just annoy and confuse people for no reason.

So they preempt player outrage by removing it completely. Genius.

As stated in this thread before, among general testers, the color matching system was hugely lauded. It was one of the few features everyone got behind.

I disagree with their premise that it created a sense of no armor progression, and stick with their original repose that it was to test the game without the system (despite players being very happy with it).

This is another instance of their metrics overruling player sentiments.

Edited by Dezzi

Getting a set of matching gear is easier for some classes than others. I have eight characters ranging from level 1 to level 49. My BH by far looked the worst. I have a nice matching set for him now but he looked like a homeless clown for most of the time.

They really need to get gear under control... Some of it just looks terrible.

I will completely agree with that. Matching system or not, the armor progression (which they claim they wanted to protect) doesn't read well--and some classes suffer more than others.

I'm more well-matched through natural armor progression with my Juggernaut than I was with my Bounty Hunter. Though I still have trouble finding the gloves for each new gear set.

If natural progression was better, I wouldn't have a problem with the matching system being out. But as it is, some classes just end up looking silly in order to compete in PvP or stay competitive on their leveling curve.

Edited by Dezzi

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.