The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

It's neither success or failure. Like I said. It's simply the fastest-growing active subscriber rate of any game to date.

What will impress me, and get me to pop that champagne cork will be when that 1.7 million is 2 million in March. Or 3 million in July.

Good-sounding numbers just a month out of launch is no measure of anything for an MMO other than a resounding short-term hooray!

Wrong, that makes it a success.

We can debate whether it maintains that success but there is no denying it is currently a success. Well, if you are a hater you can try to spin it and say it is not a success.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We really can't speculate on how well SWTOR is doing at this point, we need to wait till the 3 month mark. That being said those numbers are fishy, 85% retention rate? I don't believe that and that's not a slight against SWTOR, no MMORPG has that, not even WoW.

I'm still in my free trial period atm, apparently I'm counted in those shady numbers.

Who cares weather you believe something or not, if you can read properly it is more than obvious that SWTOR has impressive retention rate, no title in genre managed 85% after one month, hard facts are here and you people can try to spin it around to your liking but it will not change anything.

The fact the you are in your first month also means that you are not an active subscriber just yet, you become one once you pay after the initial month passes and they are talking about those subscribers.

Edited by Vlacke

Disagree all you want. Work in the industry all you want. Human nature tells me there are people perfectly happy to just get back on an investment. To this breed, profit is icing on the cake.

However, I seriously doubt it's true in this case. I'm sure some individuals might feel that way, buit as a company they won't. I can't imagine the CEO of EA or the head of Bioware saying "Hey gang, let's invest hundreds of millions of dollars and a hundred thousand of developer, artist, and tester hours for a game where we would be just happy to break even with". With this sort of massive investment of assets and the risk and the opportunity loss that entails, they'll want to make a pretty hefty return on this.

Wow.. 1.7m!!

That's like.... 1/10th of WoW's subs...

Yeah, and they did it in what, 1/86th the time, and no Asian servers/business model?

:rolleyes:

People need to calm down on both sides of the fence.

It's not a secured hit, and it's not a failure. To this point in, if you were scoring it like a fight, first round goes to "success", but there are a lot of rounds left.

I will say though, that per a lot of people around here, we should have seen a mass exodus come the 20th, and by all accounts (use of terms like "current" and "as of now"), that did not occur.

Because people who don't like the game and the direction it is currently going just realized that the development direction TOR is going isn't going to change, because as of now it's continuing to rise in popularity.

That scares the naysayers because the game isn't what they want and it won't change to what they want as long as it is a success.

That's a very good way of putting it. What I find interesting is why someone would want to play a game they clearly don't like. And if they like it enough to want to help improve it, why would they be hoping for it to fail?

Wrong, that makes it a success.

We can debate whether it maintains that success but there is no denying it is currently a success. Well, if you are a hater you can try to spin it and say it is not a success.

I'm neither a hater or a white knight. I simply see the numbers as news. The game is.

Success will be determined months from now, once there's a solid, steadily increasing (to any degree) subscriber base.

I still maintain that box sales and initial sign-ups don't constitute success or failure for an MMO. Measure a game like Skyrim, however, and these numbers would be abysmal.

That's a very good way of putting it. What I find interesting is why someone would want to play a game they clearly don't like. And if they like it enough to want to help improve it, why would they be hoping for it to fail?

That's a side of human nature I will never be able to understand.

Who cares weather you believe something or not, if you can read properly it is more than obvious that SWTOR has impressive retention rate, no title in genre managed 85% after one month, hard facts are here and you people can try to spin it around to your liking but it will not change anything.

The fact the you are in your first month also means that you are not an active subscriber just yet, you become one once you pay after the initial month passes and they are talking about those subscribers.

Umm ... I <3 Star Wars, why are you calling me " you people ". You guys are viligant in your cause I understand but no need to be condescending.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter was bullish about the sales and subscription numbers, suggesting that of the 1.7 million active subscribers figure, between 900,000 and 1.2 million were paying subscribers as of Jan. 31, while the remainder were trial subscriptions. Pachter believes that, worst case, 900,000 of the 1.2 million purchasers (through Dec. 31) converted to paying subscriptions (about 75%), while best case, 1.2 million out of 1.5 million purchasers converted (about 80%). The changing purchasers figure (through Dec. 31) is based on differing estimates of when people actually picked up the game.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2012/02/02/star-wars-the-old-republic-nears-two-million-active-subscriber-mark/#ixzz1lF5kcriq

Pre order? They count as sales...

Why would they only count the pre-order period from just before the release, as opposed to all pre-orders or better yet ignoring pre-orders altogether and simply counting actual sales?

Admit it: you're grasping. There is no other logical explanation for him to use the "just over one month" description unless he's talking about things beyond the Dec 31st date.

Learn to read, wow. The numbers include people in their free trial period and people who have completed their trail and paying.

1.7 < 2

Thanks for the simple math Chicks. ;)

The overall active subscription number has risen since the last financial report. Just because more boxes exist than active subscriptions doesn't mean the player base is falling. The true numbers you want to look at is the overall active subscription numbers and the progression they make. In that sense, the game is growing, not diminishing.

Umm ... I <3 Star Wars, why are you calling me " you people ". You guys are viligant in your cause I understand but no need to be condescending.

I know, i am sorry, it wasn't my intention to sound harsh towards you because i know from other threads that you like the game, it's just that this thread has awakened a legion of fools and trolls who are very unhappy with the current success this game is achieving and are trying to spin hard facts.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter was bullish about the sales and subscription numbers, suggesting that of the 1.7 million active subscribers figure, between 900,000 and 1.2 million were paying subscribers as of Jan. 31, while the remainder were trial subscriptions. Pachter believes that, worst case, 900,000 of the 1.2 million purchasers (through Dec. 31) converted to paying subscriptions (about 75%), while best case, 1.2 million out of 1.5 million purchasers converted (about 80%). The changing purchasers figure (through Dec. 31) is based on differing estimates of when people actually picked up the game.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2012/02/02/star-wars-the-old-republic-nears-two-million-active-subscriber-mark/#ixzz1lF5kcriq

If that is true then the news is even better than expected because it means that new sales have remained very strong instead of only catering to hardcore fans who pre-ordered or picked it up in the opening days.

This thread is difficult to read due to all the poo slinging. I proposed a question earlier but it didn't get answered. Can someone point out a post in this thread the explains this:

1) How much paid retention should an MMORPG have after X period of time

2) Are the 1.7 million people who have paid in addition to their free month, i'm still in my free month where do I sit in this thing?

Thanks, confused Star Wars fan

Edited by Touchbass

This thread is difficult to read due to all the poo slinging. I proposed a question earlier but it didn't get answered. Can someone point out a post in this thread the explains this:

2) Are the 1.7 million people who have paid in addition to their free month, i'm still in my free month where do I sit in this thing?

You are still considered an active subscriber even if you are still in your free month as long as your subscription is active.

I can't answer the first because it depends on the game's cost, etc. As for the second, if you have your credit information on file (whether in your free month or not), you're counted in the total. If you don't have your credit information filed in your account, you are not counted in the 1.7 million.

It includes those that got it and never put in the activation, but also those who cancelled already.

Correct. If you put in your subscription to activate your game, then cancelled before the first billing, you aren't in the "active subscriber" list even though you may still be playing the game because your first free month isn't up yet.

1) Out of the gate at release, 50% would be damn high. Long term, 30% retention rate is high.

2) Those that have been charged or are on their trial would sit in the 1.7. If you had canceled already, you'd sit in the 300k.

Why would they only count the pre-order period from just before the release, as opposed to all pre-orders or better yet ignoring pre-orders altogether and simply counting actual sales?

Admit it: you're grasping. There is no other logical explanation for him to use the "just over one month" description unless he's talking about things beyond the Dec 31st date.

They are counting actual sales but only up until 31 Dec 2011. The game went on sale before the release date. What's so hard in understanding that?