The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

So the 1.7 million is including all people that entered there keys on day one as well as everyone else that bought the game after the fact and still has free time.

IMO that is almost unheard of retention rate for a MMO in the first month. 50% loss is what the industry standard seems to be. To only lose around 300,000 subs for a game with 2 million units sold it outstanding.

Now lets see what the retention is after month 2 or month 3. if the numbers can hold true with only small losses then this game has a very bright future.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's easy... if you are in the free 30 days.. you don't yet have an active subscription

your "active subscription" does not start till you are finished your free 30 days and are billed for a subscription .. then and only then, will you have an "Active Subscription"

stop trying to twist it around and making it more complicated than it really is

Since another one has forgotten...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ea-beats-targets-on-sales-gain-forecast-off-2012-02-01?link=MW_story_featstor

... now has about 1.7 million active subscribers playing the online multiplayer title, which Brown said represents a mix of users who already have signed up for a paid subscription and users who have given their credit cards over, but have not yet had their paid plans kick in.

Emboldened for emphasis.

So the 1.7 million is including all people that entered there keys on day one as well as everyone else that bought the game after the fact and still has free time.

IMO that is almost unheard of retention rate for a MMO in the first month. 50% loss is what the industry standard seems to be. To only lose around 300,000 subs for a game with 2 million units sold it outstanding.

Now lets see what the retention is after month 2 or month 3. if the numbers can hold true with only small losses then this game has a very bright future.

Exactly. And that's the only point I'm trying to make, really.

They stated '' A little over on month after release''.

A lot of people told you, and you choose not to respond to them/ignore them.

Therefore i came to the logical conclusion that you are a troll.

Don't quote other people and read it for yourself. It says " ...a little over one month." the word "release" was added by fanboys.

Are you talking about a success sub/money vise for Bioware/EA or a success for the game quality??

Because if it's money/sub, then yes it has very much success, but if we are talking about the quelity of the game for us users, then i beg to differ and say it has very poorly success.

I am referring to a success in the business sense. That is the ONLY avenue of success we can determine accurately. Whether or not is a success when talking about it being fun for the individual, that is solely in the eye of the beholder and CANNOT be argued because no one can be proven correct. "Fun" is an opinion-based argument. I'm talking about facts.

If TOR breaks the trend and is gaining subscirbers after 3... 6 months... we'll all know. It will be obvious.

Some of these guys will not admit it, the excuse will range from fake numbers from EA to "just wait till another 6 months, this game ill be dead"

I just point and laugh at the haters.

I am referring to a success in the business sense. That is the ONLY avenue of success we can determine accurately. Whether or not is a success when talking about it being fun for the individual, that is solely in the eye of the beholder and CANNOT be argued because no one can be proven correct. "Fun" is an opinion-based argument. I'm talking about facts.

To be fair, business types all have differing opinions of "successful." Some just want their initial investment back, still others would prefer to swim in mounds of gold coins.

Success in business is just as subjective.

Edited by Dezzi

We really can't speculate on how well SWTOR is doing at this point, we need to wait till the 3 month mark. That being said those numbers are fishy, 85% retention rate? I don't believe that and that's not a slight against SWTOR, no MMORPG has that, not even WoW.

I'm still in my free trial period atm, apparently I'm counted in those shady numbers.

To be fair, business types all have differing opinions of successful. Some just want their initial investment back, still others would prefer to swim in in mounds of gold coins.

I disagree. It's a success when you make a profit, not just when you maintain your initial principal. That's a pretty obvious fact in the finance world, a world in which I work in. Now once you pull in a profit, success becomes relative in how much but never in the question of whether or not is was a financial success in the broad sense of the term.

We really can't speculate on how well SWTOR is doing at this point, we need to wait till the 3 month mark. That being said those numbers are fishy, 85% retention rate? I don't believe that and that's not a slight against SWTOR, no MMORPG has that, not even WoW.

I'm still in my free trial period atm, apparently I'm counted in those shady numbers.

While it's true we can't say what TOR is at the moment, the numbers are certainly not fishy.

Yes, assuming you put your credit information in for the next month, you're counted.

To be fair, business types all have differing opinions of "successful." Some just want their initial investment back, still others would prefer to swim in in mounds of gold coins.

True, but anyone who claims 2 million sales and 1.7 million active subs in an MMO is not currently a success... it's hard to take anything they say seriously after that.

Future and ongoing success is a different matter, but right now, TOR's doing very well, and I have to wonder why that upsets people.

Edited by daemian

Don't quote other people and read it for yourself. It says " ...a little over one month." the word "release" was added by fanboys.

What else would "a little over one month" be referring to if not from the release date? There really isn't anything else that would make any sense in the context.

but right now, TOR's doing very well, and I have to wonder why that upsets people.

Because people who don't like the game and the direction it is currently going just realized that the development direction TOR is going isn't going to change, because as of now it's continuing to rise in popularity.

That scares the naysayers because the game isn't what they want and it won't change to what they want as long as it is a success.

Edited by GamewizX

I disagree. It's a success when you make a profit, not just when you maintain your initial principal. That's a pretty obvious fact in the finance world, a world in which I work in. Now once you pull in a profit, success becomes relative in how much but never in the question of whether or not is was a financial success in the broad sense of the term.

Disagree all you want. Work in the industry all you want. Human nature tells me there are people perfectly happy to just get back on an investment. To this breed, profit is icing on the cake.

Disagree all you want. Work in the industry all you want. Human nature tells me there are people perfectly happy to just get back on an investment. To this breed, profit is icing on the cake.

And those are the people that will never exceed in life. You want to be successful in finances? You have to make a profit. Period.

Because people who don't like the game and the direction it is currently going just realized that the development direction TOR is going isn't going to change, because as of now it's continuing to rise in popularity.

That scares the naysayers because the game isn't what they want and it won't change to what they want as long as it is a success.

That about sums up any ill feelings anyone could possibly have by this news. Which is a valid sense of disappointment if you think about it...

While it's true we can't say what TOR is at the moment, the numbers are certainly not fishy.

Yes, assuming you put your credit information in for the next month, you're counted.

Sorry let me rephrase. The numbers being released do not give us enough information to make a strong thread analysis of what is really going on. That being said, I really can't take away anything from those numbers except something positive. If I recall the game is still yet to launch in a few more major markets and now Bioware is the position to keep these gamers and won't have anyone to fault except themselves for bad decisions.

It's not actually 85% retention because not all 2 million were finished their free period. However, most of them were. Retention is likely closer to 70%, which is still excellent.

No other MMO has had retention rates that high, but then again how many MMOs have an IP as strong with built-in goodwill as Star Wars? How many games also focus so hard on story and have presented it this well? And let's face it: despite the naysayers and the areas for improvement, this is overall a very good game.

WRONG, the population is dropping.

That about sums up any ill feelings anyone could possibly have by this news. Which is a valid sense of disappointment if you think about it...

In my mind it explains the reasoning, but doesn't necessarily justify the reaction. You can be disappointed that the game doesn't go your way, but those who lash out like spoiled children are the problem and they are really more the ones lashing out about TOR's success.

I have no problem when people offer suggestions for improvement. Heck, I'm doing it constantly with regards to TOR. It's the manner in which you present yourself that determines your validity.

It's not actually 85% retention because not all 2 million were finished their free period. However, most of them were. Retention is likely closer to 70%, which is still excellent.

No other MMO has had retention rates that high, but then again how many MMOs have an IP as strong with built-in goodwill as Star Wars? How many games also focus so hard on story and have presented it this well? And let's face it: despite the naysayers and the areas for improvement, this is overall a very good game.

I don't know a lot about this issue so if it shows please explain it to me politely :) I thought 40% was extremely good for MMORPG's, from what I understand anything about that isn't sustainable. I was personally hoping for box/digital sales to hit 4 million and hold 1.7~ million subscribers by the end of the year to solidify the game as doing well.