Subs are the biggest rip-offs

oseaswe

In commercial history. There is absolutely 0 reason why anyone should have to pay to play a game you already paid 60 bucks for.

I hate subs so much I decided to pre-order Kingdoms of Amalur instead of subbing after my free month expires this Saturday. It would just be cheaper to pay for a 60 day game card than buy a brand new game but it's about principle people.

Why do we have to pay for subs? Can anyone provide a logical and rational explanation? Because there is none. And don't tell me server costs, that's a load of crap. Plenty of games offer free multiplayer like Call of Duty and that game has more people than stupid TOR.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In commercial history. There is absolutely 0 reason why anyone should have to pay to play a game you already paid 60 bucks for.

I hate subs so much I decided to pre-order Kingdoms of Amalur instead of subbing after my free month expires this Saturday. It would just be cheaper to pay for a 60 day game card than buy a brand new game but it's about principle people.

Why do we have to pay for subs? Can anyone provide a logical and rational explanation? Because there is none. And don't tell me server costs, that's a load of crap. Plenty of games offer free multiplayer like Call of Duty and that game has more people than stupid TOR.

I remember thinking this same thing when UO came out. I then realized how big of an idiot I was for thinking that.

Maybe OP is 10 and has never seen an mmo before?

Because it is a tremendous value.

You post some funny **** for claiming to be an MBA student focusing on the computer gaming industry.

Huh? That's called DLC, and it's an optional feature. Hint OPTIONAL. People who want it pay for it, people who don't, they don't.

You've never played an MMO then and should probably put foot in mouth before you say anything else.

Edited by Kamikaze

Welcome to MMO's, the land where $15 for a month of many hours of entertainment is a hell of a bargain.

Agree. Cheaper than going to the movies a single time. Cheaper than dinner. Cheaper than a bottle of the liquor my husband drinks for a week.

I have zero problem with subs.

the dude is obviously around 14-15 to make reference to Call of Duty and calling a game "stupid."

Look, the Diablo series is just as much an MMO by traditional standards as SWTOR, yet they've never charged a dime for subscriptions.

Subscriptions are historically tacked-on "fees" that are completely unnecessary if you look at the history of videogames.

Again, example is Diablo which can provide years of "free" entertainment. It's called replay-value.

Just because a game has it doesn't mean it's justified to charge for it. I'm okay with paid DLC, not subs.

Except SWTOR isn't an MMO. It's an instanced single-player game with optional co-op missions.

I've played AC, DAOC, AO, SB, SWG, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, etc., etc., They are all MMOs. I'd like to think I am fairly good at spotting them. Saying TOR is not an MMO boggles my mind.

Look, the Diablo series is just as much an MMO by traditional standards as SWTOR, yet they've never charged a dime for subscriptions.

Subscriptions are historically tacked-on "fees" that are completely unnecessary if you look at the history of videogames.

Again, example is Diablo which can provide years of "free" entertainment. It's called replay-value.

Just because a game has it doesn't mean it's justified to charge for it. I'm okay with paid DLC, not subs.

Diablo has nowhere near the same depth as most MMO's.

Playing with other people does not make it equal to MMO's.

Then go back to console gaming if you don't like pc gaming. You are still paying a subscription for internet so you lose that fight.

OP you're right. Subs suck. but Microtransactions are the alternative these days, and they are so much worse from my perspective (pay real money for virtual items! And you still don't actually own the game! ) Compared to MT's, subbing is the better deal for the customer overall.

Objectively? yeah I hate both subs and MT's, but that's not the world we live in. So better to go with the lesser of two evils in my opinion.