Lets try not to ruin RP with this mmo please?

Teladis

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't care about the grammer skills of those I meet I am a elitist RPer myself and proud of it. I won't flame though, however if someone doesn't interest me I will yawn in their face if they try to approach me. What people seem to forget is that just because someone is a RPer doesn't mean they are obligated to RP with you unless they want to.

No one is responsible for the RP they get other then themselves.

I agree in some cases, in others if something was to happen to push your rp into something where you are force to rp it out. That to me is what rp is all about, the elitist rpger who tries to control everything and if things don't go how they want they trash talk or ban rping with that person is the most annoying of all.

RP at it's core is taking drama, taking the events around you and playing through it with a personality that you made.

Neverwinter Night PW, the best online RP experience...since...since well, ever. God bless Bioware for making that game.

Amen to that.

Custom quests run by GMs.

Enforced RP rules.

Some servers even REQUIRED a background story to even roll on them.

Someone really just needs to make a 'Run your own mini MMO' software that's basically an expanded toolset of what people used for NWN PW servers.

While I don't care about the grammer skills of those I meet I am a elitist RPer myself and proud of it. I won't flame though, however if someone doesn't interest me I will yawn in their face if they try to approach me. What people seem to forget is that just because someone is a RPer doesn't mean they are obligated to RP with you unless they want to.

No one is responsible for the RP they get other then themselves.

Thanks for explaining the pure futility of RP in general. RP stands for role play right? Is a role not something that must be intrinsically adaptable? There's hardly any continuity between "Roleplayers" in mmos.. everyone's(preemptive I know not EVERYONE disclaimer) heads are in the clouds pursuing their own disconnected self serving worlds.

In SWG for one immediate example, on Starsider on the planet Talus, there was a player city that "roleplayed" it was on Kashyyk.. I mean what the ****? I'll just roleplay that its not kashyyk and rather a bunch of morons over there that like to yell gibberish and pretend they are talking in shyriiwook, but whats the point? They will just pretend I'm some ******** trandoshan slaver nazi in a human costume..

Its called ROLE PLAY right? Play a role? Or does ROLE PLAY just mean MARY SUEISM nowadays? Mary Sueism play. ...That's more like it.

Edited by TheMarez

<Snip>

Its called ROLE PLAY right? Play a role? Or does ROLE PLAY just mean MARY SUISM nowadays? Mary Suism play. ...That's more like it.

Has it meant something else at any point in time? I've seen both ends of the RP crowd -Mild, occasional Thee/Thou-speaking players and hardcore "Mine RP is better than thine, knave" fascists- and neither type seemed very inventive about their roles.

Edited by FerrusPA

Oh and this one is going to be a touchie topic to some rpers, but I will jump on it anyway.

What happens to your Jedi or Sith in rpg, should not hurt you irl. While some people really do get close to the personality they made. Don't let it get so far that it starts to reflect your feelings irl in a bad way. RP is acting, and drama comes with it. If you let something bad in rp make you upset in ooc in a huge way. You need to put some walls up. I'm not saying that it should not make you sad, in fact using some feelings will bring out better rp. However, some of the people took it way to far, and made ooc hate because of it. Just because a sith trash talks you, does not mean he is doing it to you irl.

Edited by Teladis

I know alot of people is coming from wow, I know many of them are coming from MoonGuard server.--Funny thing is I pugged dungeons and got a few from this server in my groups, oddly they didn't rp much at all but were fun people to chat with and didn't get us all killed either...maybe you knew some bad ones;p

Please, for the love of all that is pure...Don't turn a space station into a goldshire. --/Agree since in beta they already turned DK into GS or what I like to call "Facebooking" instead of testing or leveling.

Also, for the rpg drama queens, you know the ones who use rpg as a dating service.--HUH? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! nono we want those people(?) in here! adds to the comedic value for downtime boredom!

Lets try to keep the drama at a low?--have to agree here yes.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for explaining the pure futility of RP in general. RP stands for role play right? Is a role not something that must be intrinsically adaptable? There's hardly any continuity between "Roleplayers" in mmos.. everyone's(preemptive I know not EVERYONE disclaimer) heads are in the clouds pursuing their own disconnected self serving worlds.

In SWG for one immediate example, on Starsider on the planet Talus, there was a player city that "roleplayed" it was on Kashyyk.. I mean what the ****? I'll just roleplay that its not kashyyk and rather a bunch of morons over there that like to yell gibberish and pretend they are talking in shyriiwook, but whats the point? They will just pretend I'm some ******** trandoshan slaver nazi in a human costume..

Its called ROLE PLAY right? Play a role? Or does ROLE PLAY just mean MARY SUEISM nowadays? Mary Sueism play. ...That's more like it.

I agree with you some, but I think that person was more meaning that if someone who god modes are is known to break the rules and do things in a bad way they ignore. Or if your char does not like someone, they should not talk to them.

I don't think they mean to try and control all points of rp. That would not be a rp elistist, well maybe heck I don't know. That term is so funny, I'm not sure if it means good rpers or bad anymore lol.

I cant spell and my understanding of the Lore is at best 'ok' (Im a fan, but i have not read much fan fiction etc) ... but i have some interest in RP, i used to play Defias Brotherhood PVE-RP in WoW and i tried my best to fit in and just have fun, i found alot of the above types of folks and to be honest it put me off the whole idea of RP ever since...

That's what makes the rest of us so angry about it - to see people driven away by that crap.

I intend to try again here... not sure how long it will last.

Good to hear. It's important to understand that it isn't all like that. :D

I will tell another horror story that happen to my friend on moonguard.

She was in a rp guild, she was happy with them. People always wanted to rp with her, and they seem pretty cool. One day the guild leader was hitting on her ooc and she told him that she was married irl.

Well a week later people kinda just avoided her. That type of stuff just makes me go ***? So we did a little test just for the fun of it.

She made a male char, I made a female one. My female toon, had a ton of chances to rp. Her on the other hand, had to pull tooth and nail just to get people to talk to her.

I'm not sure if it is the same on other servers, but the only thing I could come up with is that RP turned into a way for people to want virtual love.

I worded that wrong let me give a example.

This guy rping a ******e, comes up and trash talks you in front of your friends. You rp it through the drama that he caused. Good drama.

A guy walks up rping a ******e. You do this (**** you beep beep beep) get butt hurt over how someone rps and takes the drama into ooc. That is the drama I don't want to see.

Been there, done that. I feel for you - truly. Let's just hope that if enough grownups role play, with others, out in the open, that the brats will be drowned out.

I will tell another horror story that happen to my friend on moonguard.

She was in a rp guild, she was happy with them. People always wanted to rp with her, and they seem pretty cool. One day the guild leader was hitting on her ooc and she told him that she was married irl.

Well a week later people kinda just avoided her. That type of stuff just makes me go ***? So we did a little test just for the fun of it.

She made a male char, I made a female one. My female toon, had a ton of chances to rp. Her on the other hand, had to pull tooth and nail just to get people to talk to her.

I'm not sure if it is the same on other servers, but the only thing I could come up with is that RP turned into a way for people to want virtual love.

The concept seems like a fruitless one, you can't touch for real nor virtually have your toons "DO" anything with each other...at all.

So RL, ****, Second Life, ****, match.com, **** and the like all are infinitely better alternatives to finding a broman--er "love" in a mmorpg. (since when is p.r.0.n a bad word?)

besides, could be chris hansen behind that avatar LOL

Ib4 the flood of "HATER! I know 50 fat nerd couples who met in an mmorpg are now happily in luv and getting married/are married and who have joined their children in making the next partridge family band!! It's real!!!"

RL names/screenshot or it didn't happen

Edited by MandraMoody

RPers, as they have come to call themselves these days, are generally the most rude, obnoxious, and inflammatory players in any mmo, and usually try the hardest to destroy forum communities for most games as well. Usually they try and destroy forums with incessant whining that the game has to be changed to revolve around them, and banding together to attack "the non-believers", as it were, that dare to challenge their misguided concepts. Usually it all stems from an overblown sense of self-importance brought about by having a complete misunderstanding of what the "RP" in "RPG" is supposed to be about.

The "RP" in "RPG" simply means, and has always simply meant (well since I started playing TT RPGs back in the 70's anyway) that the player fulfills a ROLE in the game having his or her own areas of specialty, i.e. Fighter, Wizard, etc etc.

Aside from some "character building" that involves the player choosing a race, a character class, an alignment, and a number of powers, skills and feats to enhance the character's basic abilities, that is essentially it. That's all. We didn't "act" at all.

This kind of "roleplaying" (that is essentially just play acting) that a comparatively tiny sub-group partake in, is something relatively new to RPGs.

There is absolutely no mandate for companies to cater to that style of play though. I think it's fine if they do to the extent of creating identifiable servers where people that choose to do this playacting can gravitate, but beyond that they shouldn't be held to policing these servers for "proper play" given that there is no agreed upon way to do this playacting. I do think they should stop calling them "RP servers" though. It is a real misnomer, since in truth given the proper definition of what "RP" in "RPG" means, all servers are "RP servers"

Thus, to be frank, trying to tell people how they are supposed to do it is the height of arrogance in my opinion. As distasteful as the stuff that goes on in Goldshire on that server is to me, I support their right to do it, since they do it on a server designated as RP, and that is what RP is to them. Since playacting has no basis in the history of RPGs, there are no rules, and their way of doing it is just as valid a way of doing it as any other person that chooses to playact on a playacting server in a mmo.

Ahhh, Starsider.

I spendt many hours guarding Twi'lek slaves there :D

RPers, as they have come to call themselves these days, are generally the most rude, obnoxious, and inflammatory players in any mmo, and usually try the hardest to destroy forum communities for most games as well. Usually they try and destroy forums with incessant whining that the game has to be changed to revolve around them, and banding together to attack "the non-believers", as it were, that dare to challenge their misguided concepts. Usually it all stems from an overblown sense of self-importance brought about by having a complete misunderstanding of what the "RP" in "RPG" is supposed to be about.

The "RP" in "RPG" simply means, and has always simply meant (well since I started playing TT RPGs back in the 70's anyway) that the player fulfills a ROLE in the game having his or her own areas of specialty, i.e. Fighter, Wizard, etc etc.

Aside from some "character building" that involves the player choosing a race, a character class, an alignment, and a number of powers, skills and feats to enhance the character's basic abilities, that is essentially it. That's all. We didn't "act" at all.

This kind of "roleplaying" (that is essentially just play acting) that a comparatively tiny sub-group partake in, is something relatively new to RPGs.

There is absolutely no mandate for companies to cater to that style of play though. I think it's fine if they do to the extent of creating identifiable servers where people that choose to do this playacting can gravitate, but beyond that they shouldn't be held to policing these servers for "proper play" given that there is no agreed upon way to do this playacting. I do think they should stop calling them "RP servers" though. It is a real misnomer, since in truth given the proper definition of what "RP" in "RPG" means, all servers are "RP servers"

Thus, to be frank, trying to tell people how they are supposed to do it is the height of arrogance in my opinion. As distasteful as the stuff that goes on in Goldshire on that server is to me, I support their right to do it, since they do it on a server designated as RP, and that is what RP is to them. Since playacting has no basis in the history of RPGs, there are no rules, and their way of doing it is just as valid a way of doing it as any other person that chooses to playact on a playacting server in a mmo.

Gary Gygax, a man I had the honour of meeting shortly before his death, would ferevently disagree with you on your opinion on Roleplay in Tabletop RPGs.

He sort of invented D&D.

Gary Gygax, a man I had the honour of meeting shortly before his death, would ferevently disagree with you on your opinion on Roleplay in Tabletop RPGs.

He sort of invented D&D.

Yet nothing he ever said, or did (including all the manuals and modules he created) ever once talked about "playacting a part". The only aspect of D7D that could even remotely be construed as "playacting" was the leeway Game Masters had within a GIVEN script to weave a story. In mmos, the story is already given. It wasn't about players creating their own stories or "acting" their roles.

Yet nothing he ever said, or did (including all the manuals and modules he created) ever once talked about "playacting a part". The only aspect of D7D that could even remotely be construed as "playacting" was the leeway Game Masters had within a GIVEN script to weave a story. In mmos, the story is already given. It wasn't about players creating their own stories or "acting" their roles.

Nearly every edition of D&D has had an entire part on 'Personifying' your character.

Each edition has increased this until you now have entire chapters dedicated to the concept of playacting your character.

They didn't codify roleplaying because you don't need rules to roleplay, you just do it.

When you play D&D as nothing but a combat simulator, you're called a "roll player" and you're the bane of any DM. You're no fun to play with, you're just a block of stats and a dice. You could be replaced by a computer program.

Playing D&D without playacting your character is like bringing a beautiful woman home and not touching her.

It's those moments of roleplay that make or break a game session. Those moments where you and your players are in tears from laughing so hard not because of some combat result, but because of playacting.

Acting is the very CORE of D&D. You can throw away half the rules if you want. Hell, I've run sessions where I made up the dice rolls in my head as a DM and my players loved it because, in the end, D&D is a terrible combat system, but it's the playacting that makes it.

HuH? take a look at virtually any character sheet for any D&D game and you will see pretty much nothing to do with "acting", or creating a persona for a player character beyond the stats.

We didn't sit in our kitchens and living rooms playing pretend. We didn't go to meets in gyms and conference rooms and playact. We went to play the games, and experience the story. In later years occasionally someone would show up in a costume, but it was done as a lark. Something for fun to identify with the game. No one playacted because it was ridiculous. It just would have looked plain silly. This whole playacting thing started to come on the scene much much later on sometime around the beginning of the last decade and was concentrated around online activities, and it's frankly responsible for having the playing of TT RPGs being very negatively perceived among the general populace.

Edited by Umbral

I find it amusing when anyone talks about Moon Guard and RP and Goldshire as if Goldshire were ever representative of any server as a whole.

Moon Guard's Goldshire in particular is a huge tourist trap populated by alts of people who normally play on other servers. If that's where you went to see what RP on Moon Guard is like, yikes, hehe

Good luck with that. I got to tell you, I have been a RPer since the original D&D was released and have never seen consistent good roleplaying in any online game, even on dedicated RP servers. I personally don't even want people to talk about RL in general chat, or RP in general chat, that should be done face to face IMO. I would love to see a strict rule RP server that penalized or kicked people for going OOC in places other then the OOC channel. I really don't want to hear about RL political music, whatever views while I'm trying to be immersed in a game world.

But honestly, RPers are a very small percentage of MMO players, so companies are never gonna cater to them. Now the marriage and other drama I think is unavoidable and not limited to RPers. I've never been in a guild yet that didn't deteriorate into drama at one point or another. Usually about some stupid raid or epic quest then different factions /ragequit the guild.