My issue with tradeskills

Pystov

I just capped out my Biochem, and learned my lvl400 stuff from the trainer. I figured I would get a jump start on getting my reusable med unit since I am only lvl46 atm. What do I see when I look at the mats required? A "Biometric Crystal Alloy", which says binds when picked up. So I pop over to Torhead and find out that they are only gotten from OP's and HM's.

I PvP. I play the game to PvP. I have little to zero interest in doing another raiding grind like I have in other games. Which is why I PvP, but from what I have seen anyone who PvP's is SOL on being able to make the top tier of their respective tradeskill since all the top tier requires them. Instead they either have to go without, or forced to do OP's or HM's.

PvE players are not forced into doing any PvP if they choose not too. Why are PvP players forced to have to do PvE content? I've seen interviews with the devs saying how a player can PvP (from lvl10) to cap and have the same equivalent of items as PvE players. Then why can I not craft my lvl400 items?

I hope they make these available to PvP players in some fashion. Even if they were to cost a high amount of comm's, or a single one is given away by random roll at the end of a match. Something. Players should not be forced into content they do not wish too, and if they are then all servers should be PvP.

I just capped out my Biochem, and learned my lvl400 stuff from the trainer. I figured I would get a jump start on getting my reusable med unit since I am only lvl46 atm. What do I see when I look at the mats required? A "Biometric Crystal Alloy", which says binds when picked up. So I pop over to Torhead and find out that they are only gotten from OP's and HM's.

I PvP. I play the game to PvP. I have little to zero interest in doing another raiding grind like I have in other games. Which is why I PvP, but from what I have seen anyone who PvP's is SOL on being able to make the top tier of their respective tradeskill since all the top tier requires them. Instead they either have to go without, or forced to do OP's or HM's.

PvE players are not forced into doing any PvP if they choose not too. Why are PvP players forced to have to do PvE content? I've seen interviews with the devs saying how a player can PvP (from lvl10) to cap and have the same equivalent of items as PvE players. Then why can I not craft my lvl400 items?

I hope they make these available to PvP players in some fashion. Even if they were to cost a high amount of comm's, or a single one is given away by random roll at the end of a match. Something. Players should not be forced into content they do not wish too, and if they are then all servers should be PvP.

I know how you feel, I play PvE but I need those alloys and so does everyone else...fighting over them over and over. To make it worse even OPs have their own hardmode schematics with raid boss mats. Just another long grind and hoping to win one like OTHER said games.

Are you seriously crying about 1 Biometric Alloy?

You know how easy ti is to get?

You know how easy HM modes are?

Have you ever heard of Taral V?

Ever head of skipping tons and tons of mobs, and doing the easiest hardmode ever?

The amount of time you spent typing out your QQ Essay, you probably would've gotten that Alloy and maybe a few epic pieces to replace your **** greens.

Did a hard mode BT run the other night and that biometeric alloy dropped. Found out no one in the group could use it, so it went greed roll to vendor it. If it wasn't bind on pickup, we could at least sell it on the GTN. Edited by Quiet

Are you seriously crying about 1 Biometric Alloy?

You know how easy ti is to get?

You know how easy HM modes are?

Have you ever heard of Taral V?

Ever head of skipping tons and tons of mobs, and doing the easiest hardmode ever?

The amount of time you spent typing out your QQ Essay, you probably would've gotten that Alloy and maybe a few epic pieces to replace your **** greens.

The point is you can only aquire them through PvE. I can not force a PvE player to fight me in a PvP battle, so why should a PvP player be forced to PvE.

Edit - Btw, we are not talking about 1 drop, 1 time. Every lvl400 scheme requires them for every prof. That means alot of farming.

Edited by Pystov

Did a hard mode BT run the other night and that biometeric alloy dropped. Found out no one in the group could use it, so it went greed roll to vendor it. If it wasn't bind on pickup, we could at least sell it on the GTN.

If they were not BoP I would have less of an issue with how they are aquired. At least then I could buy said alloy.

The point is you can only aquire them through PvE. I can not force a PvE player to fight me in a PvP battle, so why should a PvP player be forced to PvE.

Edit - Btw, we are not talking about 1 drop, 1 time. Every lvl400 scheme requires them for every prof. That means alot of farming.

You're not forced to PvE. You want a PvE reward (all crafting is inherently not PvP) thus it requires a PvE component.

I don't see scavenging nodes in Warzones, I don't see Lockboxes in Warzones, etc.

I have the same issue, with a slight twist. I am a solo player. I love the game and enjoy the way crafting has been implemented. I'd like to be able to obtain every crafting item through some sort of quest, even an onerously long one for BoP items. I don't want to group because I rarely have time to play for more than small snatches of time, and it's clearly not fair to the group to have to leave in mid stream. So...my choice to enjoy the game solo. I recognize that the whole thrust of MMORGs is social interaction, and SWTOR is certainly structured in that way to reward social game play, but for a player who does not want to group and does not want to join a guild, there ought to be a way to get to the highest content in crew skills through individual effort.

You're not forced to PvE. You want a PvE reward (all crafting is inherently not PvP) thus it requires a PvE component.

I don't see scavenging nodes in Warzones, I don't see Lockboxes in Warzones, etc.

I must have missed it in the Codex where it says that crew skills are strictly for PvE, or when I gained the skill that said you MUST PvE in order to do this.

Saying crafting is not for PvP is wrong. Crafting is for everyone! It might cost the PvPer's a bit more credits to do it, but that does not mean that a PvP player can not engage in crafting skills. You are basicly saying that not only is the mat a PvE reward, but so is crafting as a whole.

I have the same issue, with a slight twist. I am a solo player. I love the game and enjoy the way crafting has been implemented. I'd like to be able to obtain every crafting item through some sort of quest, even an onerously long one for BoP items. I don't want to group because I rarely have time to play for more than small snatches of time, and it's clearly not fair to the group to have to leave in mid stream. So...my choice to enjoy the game solo. I recognize that the whole thrust of MMORGs is social interaction, and SWTOR is certainly structured in that way to reward social game play, but for a player who does not want to group and does not want to join a guild, there ought to be a way to get to the highest content in crew skills through individual effort.

IMO another valid point.

If you break the game up into 3 population groups (1- Raiders, 2- Casual/solo players, 3- PvPer's) then 2 of the 3 groups are left in the dark on this. I hate to mention "that game", but they made orbs non-BoP.

I must have missed it in the Codex where it says that crew skills are strictly for PvE, or when I gained the skill that said you MUST PvE in order to do this.

Saying crafting is not for PvP is wrong. Crafting is for everyone! It might cost the PvPer's a bit more credits to do it, but that does not mean that a PvP player can not engage in crafting skills. You are basicly saying that not only is the mat a PvE reward, but so is crafting as a whole.

Crafting may be doable by anyone, but you have to admit that it is aimed at PvE-ers, hence no crafted recipes that have expertise as a stat. On top of that, from what I understand (as I haven't PvP'd at all yet) PvP gear is in general better than crafted gear, especially for PvP-ers. Thus, to PvP, you can get the gear you need by PvP-ing - although I don't know how this applies to medpacks and such. I'm glad that you like crafting, and I have to agree that I'm not a huge fan of the BoP, but thinking that it should be changed for PvP-ers seems a bit ridiculous when you already get other benefits from PvP.

My main issue with your post is this...If you play this game to only PvP then you are not playing the correct MMO.

For an MMO to be considered "true PvP" the person who beat you should have the option to take as little or as much of your gear as he feels fit to take and vice versa.

This game like WOW doesn't fall short in PvP it failed. You might as well go play Candyland with your daughter, sister, or cousin.

If you really want to get a real PvP experience download Darkfall and start working your toon. I will not mislead you...it will be months before you will become viable in PvP but the fact that everytime you go out into the world you have a chance to lose everything on you is exciting.

Bug

Crafting isn't, it's inherently PvE natured because all of its source components are received via PvE.

You don't have to kill and harvest enemy players for Crafting.

Quite honestly, Biochem being a requirement for PvP is stupid enough as it is. They should just give PvPers valor/commendation bought re-usable stims/adrenals/medpacks that are at a standardized power level and leave crafting to PvE where it has always belonged.

Decisions around what professions you've picked (or didn't pick) or how many dungeons you've run (or didn't run) should have no bearing on the balance in a PvP match and PvP should be entirely self contained.

This is almost as bad as in WoW where Rogues with Vial of Shadows crit everyone for 80k in PvP.

LOL no, it's not a lot of farming.

Trust me, you'll only end up crafting like 2-3 items that need this ingredient.

They nerfed the Rakata Medpack so bad it's useless now, so the only thing you need is a Rakata Adrenal and a Rakata Stim....

The Reusable Ultimate Medpack is fine, but the best one is the Blue version.. it still has the H.O.T.

Hardmode BT runs are always happening all day long, hop into the fleet and get into a group,it doesn't take that long to complete.

My response to somebody who ONLY PvP's?

You're playing the wrong game. 90+% of this game is dedicated to non PvP. PvP is an afterthought. Like end-game raid grinding, it's there to try to keep people who've gotten through the game from cancelling their subs before more content rolls out.

I know how you feel. I mostly play solo and I'm only interested in the story. I couldn't care less for PvP and stuff.

The chances I have for grouping are scarce at best. And I keep reading that some materials/schematics whatever are only attainable through group operations. And some of that stuff is BoP, so you don't even have the choice of buying on GTN

My response to somebody who ONLY PvP's?

You're playing the wrong game. 90+% of this game is dedicated to non PvP. PvP is an afterthought. Like end-game raid grinding, it's there to try to keep people who've gotten through the game from cancelling their subs before more content rolls out.

Sorry if I gave the impression that all I do is PvP and refuse to PvE at all. That's not exactly the case. I like the storylines (for the most part) and do complete class/side quests. My issue is that I HAVE to run OP's or HM's to get this item. I have spent far too much time doing stuff like that in other games, and should not have to be forced to have to do it now.

I just don't feel that it is right that it is the only way to get said items. There should be other options as well.

LOL no, it's not a lot of farming.

Trust me, you'll only end up crafting like 2-3 items that need this ingredient.

They nerfed the Rakata Medpack so bad it's useless now, so the only thing you need is a Rakata Adrenal and a Rakata Stim....

The Reusable Ultimate Medpack is fine, but the best one is the Blue version.. it still has the H.O.T.

Hardmode BT runs are always happening all day long, hop into the fleet and get into a group,it doesn't take that long to complete.

Nerfed or not, it should be my choice as to if I wish to craft the item. HM's running all day are not my issue. It's that I HAVE to that is. As I have said before, there should be other ways to get the item. Even if they removed the BoP status so those who did wish to do said content could sell them to ppl like myself.

Edit - As far as the amount of farming, I have broken down over 50 lvl40 green reflex stims and have yet to get the pattern for the blue one. So it would appear to me that I would have to do a lot of farming to gain any higher lvl items of this sort.

Edited by Pystov

Crafting may be doable by anyone, but you have to admit that it is aimed at PvE-ers, hence no crafted recipes that have expertise as a stat. On top of that, from what I understand (as I haven't PvP'd at all yet) PvP gear is in general better than crafted gear, especially for PvP-ers. Thus, to PvP, you can get the gear you need by PvP-ing - although I don't know how this applies to medpacks and such. I'm glad that you like crafting, and I have to agree that I'm not a huge fan of the BoP, but thinking that it should be changed for PvP-ers seems a bit ridiculous when you already get other benefits from PvP.

It is easier for PvE to gain their mats, that is true. However making it so ppl HAVE to do OP's or HM's to gain mats is wrong. I could send my pets out, or buy off of trade for anything I needed before. Is it cost effective? No, but doable. There should be other ways of gaining said items.

Edit- Remember that I am not talking about gear. I have no issue what so ever with the fact that I should PvP to get better gear aimed towards PvP. The higher lvl PvP gear is aimed towards PvP and expertise does nothing for PvE. My issue is crafting mats that require that you HAVE to do OP's and HM's to get. Which PvP gear isn't directed to help with, and in a round about way wouldn't that gimp me if I were to attempt to run OP's or HM's?

Edited by Pystov

I know how you feel. I mostly play solo and I'm only interested in the story. I couldn't care less for PvP and stuff.

The chances I have for grouping are scarce at best. And I keep reading that some materials/schematics whatever are only attainable through group operations. And some of that stuff is BoP, so you don't even have the choice of buying on GTN

I agree. If these were opened to get in another fashion (even in a long quest, an insane amount of comm's, or rarely given as random rolls at the end of matches) I would have no problem with this. As it stands now though, the only way is to do OP's or HM's. Which leaves PvP and casual players left out.

Crafting isn't, it's inherently PvE natured because all of its source components are received via PvE.

You don't have to kill and harvest enemy players for Crafting.

Quite honestly, Biochem being a requirement for PvP is stupid enough as it is. They should just give PvPers valor/commendation bought re-usable stims/adrenals/medpacks that are at a standardized power level and leave crafting to PvE where it has always belonged.

Decisions around what professions you've picked (or didn't pick) or how many dungeons you've run (or didn't run) should have no bearing on the balance in a PvP match and PvP should be entirely self contained.

This is almost as bad as in WoW where Rogues with Vial of Shadows crit everyone for 80k in PvP.

You said that "You don't have to kill and harvest enemy players for crafting", but that prompts me to ask then... Why do I have to kill PvE mobs for crafting? Is it easier to craft when doing PvE? Ofcourse, but there were other methods one could take even if that meant having to do it a harder way. Atm there is no other method for these items.

Biochem isn't the only skill that requires them either. All the crafting skills do. So if I were to have chose a different craft, I would still be in the same boat. Players who prefer to PvP or those that do PvE but do not have the time to run OP's or HM's are left out. As I said before, there should be another method of gaining these.

While I like pve and I intend to do a lot of raiding it doesn't make sense to me for ingredients to be BoP.

Exactly. If they removed the BoP part then PvE players could sell them to players who prefer to PvP or PvE players who do not have the time to run OP's or HM's. Meanwhile those who do farm them get credits in the process while making these items available to players who otherwise can't. That's what you call a win/win solution!

Exactly. If they removed the BoP part then PvE players could sell them to players who prefer to PvP or PvE players who do not have the time to run OP's or HM's. Meanwhile those who do farm them get credits in the process while making these items available to players who otherwise can't. That's what you call a win/win solution!

for top end items you should have to put forth more time and effort than just a trip to the gtn.

for top end items you should have to put forth more time and effort than just a trip to the gtn.

Which is why I also would not mind making them available via a questline or comm's. I'm not asking for free. I'm asking for them to be made more available through other methods.

On the flip side to that though... That trip to trade would cost me credits that I would have to get. The value/price of the items would also be set by the players who did do the work. In the end that's how sets prices anyhow. The work required to gain the object to be sold. If that is the cost of supplies and/or physical effort. Basicly your overhead.

Edited by Pystov