Arsenal vs Pyrotech dps?

Adiva

i prefer pyro... i played arsenal until level... dunno, late 30s... it was soooooo boring... tracer missile, tracer missile, tracer missile... i couldnt stand it anymore and switched to pyro, partly because pve was boring, but mainly because i like mobility in pvp... arsenal is not really mobile... pyro is...

if you played thatothermmo, think of the merch like hes a warlock counterpart... arsenal is destruction and pyro is sorta affliction...

I used arsenal through 50 and then some after, i switched to Pyro about a week ago.

the difference in dps is one is instant dps(arsenal) and the other is DOT's(pyro)

with Arsenal i was doing anywhere from 250k to 320k in Wz's with about 25 to 30 kills

with Pyro i am not doing anywhere between 270k and 350k with about 40 to 50 kills

took a bit of time to get use to the rotation and heat management, you will use more heat with pyro than with arsenal. But once I got that down, i would never go back to Arsenal.

now pve is a bit tricky at first, but again, once you figure out your rotation you will be fine. One of the main tricks is your opening move, TD. Make sure you apply this nice little grenade first as it can do alot of damage to start off.

for me it is usually Thermal det, Incid missile, rail shot, then missile blast, then rapid shot, then start over or if the target is stationary do unload.

But you would like to keep your TD on the target as well as keeping them burning with IM.

Edited by Redmyst

Hmm, i dont understand why people find pyro as a clear cut decision for pvp. I would like anyone's input on that. I find arsenal does well in both and comes down to preference.

Arsenal is awesome in PVP if you have healer support. A couple of arsenal spec players with a healer can dominate the middle in huttball for example. Pryo is a lot more run and gun and gives you more options if you are playing a WZ solo IMO.

That being said pyro is not great 1 vs 1. I can not stand toe to toe with an arsenal spec player of equivalent gearing. I love the play style but it can be frustrating trying to burst down other players at times.

I am 53 valor at the moment. Going to run with pyro until I am fully geared. See how it goes for a while then try arsenal and see how that goes.

Arsenal is awesome in PVP if you have healer support. A couple of arsenal spec players with a healer can dominate the middle in huttball for example. Pryo is a lot more run and gun and gives you more options if you are playing a WZ solo IMO.

That being said pyro is not great 1 vs 1. I can not stand toe to toe with an arsenal spec player of equivalent gearing. I love the play style but it can be frustrating trying to burst down other players at times.

I am 53 valor at the moment. Going to run with pyro until I am fully geared. See how it goes for a while then try arsenal and see how that goes.

i havent had issues with 1v1 with my pyro merc. I dont feel as squishy as i did with arsenal. much more mobile and able to kite jedi helps a ton. Havent gone against many arsenal mercs since i switched but the few i have hasnt been a problem.

in pvp i love when i tag someone with TD and then switch to someone else and hear the boom and look back and see my old target dead from a 3k hit.

i havent had issues with 1v1 with my pyro merc. I dont feel as squishy as i did with arsenal. much more mobile and able to kite jedi helps a ton. Havent gone against many arsenal mercs since i switched but the few i have hasnt been a problem.

in pvp i love when i tag someone with TD and then switch to someone else and hear the boom and look back and see my old target dead from a 3k hit.

A lot of my experience 1 vs 1 is with an arsenal spec player I duel. He just does more damage faster than me and will almost always win. However, in WZs I almost always out damage him and have a higher kill counts.

I am not sure that your pyro is less squishy than your arsenal. I think it is probably you are just a target less often because of your mobility. Having to stay in one place and commit to attacks is tough in PVP.

A lot of my experience 1 vs 1 is with an arsenal spec player I duel. He just does more damage faster than me and will almost always win. However, in WZs I almost always out damage him and have a higher kill counts.

I am not sure that your pyro is less squishy than your arsenal. I think it is probably you are just a target less often because of your mobility. Having to stay in one place and commit to attacks is tough in PVP.

and that is what i meant, being able to move while doing damage is nice. I wouldnt switch back to arsenal right now.

If you want kill counts in war zones just rapid shot tab rapid shot tab... wash rinse repeat... kill counts should be called "i damaged a guy that died" counts

overall damage, same thing just drop aoe's every time you see more people.

personally kills and damage in a wz are not a sign of anything at all

but my epeen is so big i dont need it to get any bigger i guess.

Edited by Yazule

If you want kill counts in war zones just rapid shot tab rapid shot tab... wash rinse repeat... kill counts should be called "i damaged a guy that died" counts

overall damage, same thing just drop aoe's every time you see more people.

personally kills and damage in a wz are not a sign of anything at all

but my epeen is so big i dont need it to get any bigger i guess.

OK. For a class with very little utility other than damage, the damage you bring to a WZ IS actually pretty important.

But I think we are off topic. I was trying to use this as a very loose, anecdotal metric for comparing arsenal vs pyro performance in 1v1 vs an environment involving more people in PVP.

Not sure how 'epeens' got involved here:rolleyes:

Edited by _DaGreat

Switching frequently for the fun of it, I'm pretty sure the damage output is roughly equal.

Pyrotech probably has more burst potential and the execute phase is quite nice, but Arsenal is more steady and less dependent on it's proc.

I really like the manic giggle whenever Rail Shot is reset though, so I lean heavily towards Pyrotech at the moment. Plus Fusion Missile is usable a lot more often without crossing the 40 heat line. And I do love that missile. :>

Edited by Hxxr

If he's beating you 1v1, that just means he's better than you. I have never lost a 1v1 against an Arsenal/Gunnery mirror. The idea makes me frown.

Juggernauts and Healer Ops(and their mirrors) make me frustrated 1v1, besides that, I sail smooth through any class.

Don't listen to people who tell you only one is viable for pve and pvp.

Pyro was built with pvp in mind. That doesn't mean a smart Pyro can't keep up with Arsenal in pve.

Arsenal was built with pve in mind. That doesn't mean a smart Arsenal can't keep up with Pyro in pvp.

well i like pyro but arsenal i feel x2 stronger.

when i have a 1v1 vs a arsenal and nothing to hide behind he kills me with 3x tracer, heatseeker, rails, unload = im dead

i never could kill him this fast with pyro and that sucks... and that what drags me back to arsenal :(

Edited by Viashivan

OK. For a class with very little utility other than damage, the damage you bring to a WZ IS actually pretty important.

But I think we are off topic. I was trying to use this as a very loose, anecdotal metric for comparing arsenal vs pyro performance in 1v1 vs an environment involving more people in PVP.

Not sure how 'epeens' got involved here:rolleyes:

well if you are worried about kill counts and overall damage i told you how to do it.

for a class with very little utility other than damage, dropping IMPORTANT bodies is pretty important, i can get high damage and high kill counts without dropping one body... all you have to do is do damage to someone that dies for a kill count. Killing the guy with the ball, killing the guy healing the guy with the ball, Killing the bomb planter, Killing the guy taking the turret... all are top priority, everyone else is just a distraction from these targets.

some people like their "i am uber" screenshot, this is the most common thing I see other than "QQ I want to solo everyone and win every time"

I was originally going Ars until I saw that PVP = pyro? Which seems odd, im level 11, so im technically non of the skils trees atm, and almost always 1st, or in top 3 for damage/kills.

arsenal merc in pvp with an organized group imo is better than pyro just because we don't dot and wait we wtfpwn burst.

but for solo pvp it sure sounds like pyro is king, I need my dps for raids so not willing to convert until more guild dps get up to my level.

I really like the manic giggle whenever Rail Shot is reset though, so I lean heavily towards Pyrotech at the moment. Plus Fusion Missile is usable a lot more often without crossing the 40 heat line. And I do love that missile. :>

:)

I thought Death From Above was one of my favorite sound clips in the game until I went Pyro. I can't get enough, it makes me let loose a sinister giggle on the inside as well...

One of my favorite things to do with Pyro: TD>IM>Powershot>railshot

Awesome burst. Powershot/railshot hit soon after TD explodes for some nice burst and if you get lucky with a railshot proc, heat stays nice and low.

:)

I thought Death From Above was one of my favorite sound clips in the game until I went Pyro. I can't get enough, it makes me let loose a sinister giggle on the inside as well...

One of my favorite things to do with Pyro: TD>IM>Powershot>railshot

Awesome burst. Powershot/railshot hit soon after TD explodes for some nice burst and if you get lucky with a railshot proc, heat stays nice and low.

do: this time delayed bomb, tracer missile, tracer missile, Heatseeker, Railshoot and check the x2 damage you did

I tried Pyro for a couple of weeks before I hit 50, so I didn't get to use it with a full template (not TD, for example).

The mobility and damage over time was fantastic.

However I respecced back to Arsenal because I was missing the improved knockback from Afterburners (and the knockback on rocket punch of course).

I really felt it made a huge difference, especially in Hutball arenas (which is what I get 90% of the time on my server).

I intend to try Pyro again in the future, but like I said, I don't know if I could do without the knockbacks, even taking into account the great mobility Pyro offers.

I've tried both trees, admittedly more time has been spent in the Arsenal tree and I've found the mobility isn't necessarily THAT much higher. We are still casting Powershot and Unload in order to reset Rail Shot which still effectively roots us in one spot. I think for the most part, having an instant cast ability being what we're trying to proc and the fact that we don't need to root ourselves for the same amount of time as an Arsenal Merc trying to get his signatures and Tracer Locks up allow us to be more effective at positioning. I'm not saying that the more situational aware Arsenal Mercs aren't able to do that, it's just a bit easier to do on a Pyro Merc. Real mobility in the Pyro tree comes in the Powertech AC but at the cost of the 30M range. Pyro Mercs also don't have their spec revolving too much around 1 interruptable ability, which is pretty rad.

Edit: I also have a mid level Pyro Powertech and the playstyles within each ACs Pyrotech spec are pretty different which definitely speaks to Biowares ability to be a "Little bit country, little bit rock'n'roll".

Edited by loudernoises