Are we easy nerf targets?

Bejita

It seems to me that most developers dont want to nerf a overplayed class even though its obviously overpowered (sith sorceror), and instead opt to nerf the less overpowered but almost unplayed classes (such as powertechs)

i feel that after the OPs nerfs we are going to be the next big target for bioware, why would they nerf mercs and sorcs when 50% of the population is those classes? that would anger so many people and so many people are already on the verge of quiting because of how horrible illum is

I just feel if bioware one day says , hey this class is doing to much ranged damage for a "melee tank class" that it will cripple this class to be pointless, i know that if they ever touch pyro in anyway that nerfs its ranged damage i will immediatly dump this class because thats the only thing i found interesting about powertech, being a great close range and ranged hybrid

just somethin to think about

Edited by Bejita

Do yourself a favor and try not to worry about these types of things. Game changes regarding class balance will hit every class, it is only a matter of time. If you're the type that rerolls after every nerf/buff, then perhaps MMOs aren't for you.

Do yourself a favor and try not to worry about these types of things. Game changes regarding class balance will hit every class, it is only a matter of time. If you're the type that rerolls after every nerf/buff, then perhaps MMOs aren't for you.

This.

Nerfs seem to be centered around classes that tend to roflstomp noobs especially (at least that was what operatives excelled at), because those will come to the forums and qq about it the most. At the moment pts are so rarely played that they have gone quite under the radar, so if anything, sorc or merc should be next in line.

I just feel if bioware one day says , hey this class is doing to much ranged damage for a "melee tank class" that it will cripple this class to be pointless, i know that if they ever touch pyro in anyway that nerfs its ranged damage i will immediatly dump this class because thats the only thing i found interesting about powertech, being a great close range and ranged hybrid

You must be trolling just because one tree is a shield does not make then entire AC "melee tank class" If anything PT needs a buff because AVPT is terrible. We deserve to do as much damage as we already do plus wz charts are hardly any evidence of being OP.

Thankfully Sorcs and Mercs are complained about way more than us. And Operatives will still be complained about. So Bioware won't cave on nerfs for us any time soon, probably.

My original main was an Operative. I loved it in beta and Champion geared post-release. But I found that the Rogue arch-type was just not my style, so I rerolled before any nerfs were announced.

Now the funny thing with both my Operative and my Powertech, is that when I pop CDs/relics/adrenals I literally destroy people in a matter of seconds. The only reason we don't get 50 nerf threads a day is because we don't do it upfront with one attack, and we don't faceplant people while we do it. But we're still capable of killing someone very quickly.

Edited by Sevvy

I don't see the burst kill capacity of PT. I think people that fight and die to them will feel like they had a fair fight and any drastic adjustment seems unlikely. Granted my PT doesn't have 31 pts to spend.

Nerf targets at least initially are always those that make opposition targets feel helpless. And in the operative nerf the dev's specifically said it was about burst.

That said every class in this game will eventually take class changes. It's the nature of MMO's.

OP,

First, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. The next target seems to be Assassins. In case you don't read Sin forums, the last two patches the tooltips on Sin abilities keep changing. Each change effectively kills a hybrid spec. Changes are along the lines of specific abilities requiring a specific stance (or cylinder, in PT lingo) to function.

While the abilities themselves haven't changed, they still work the same, tooltips have. And they keep changing them more each patch. When the patch comes that makes abilities work like tooltips say, Sin hybrid specs will be finished. Totally annihilated. Nothing less than full 31-pointers will work.

Second, as a Powertech, I DO worry about the upcoming nerf. And it IS coming. Maybe not any time soon, but it is. Let's face it, Carolina Parakeet is popular. After seeing the preview of that is coming for Assassins, I'd say it is a very safe bet that Parakeet will be annihilated as well. Probably along the lines of Prototype Particle Accelerator requiring you to use the Combustible Gas Cylinder to function. A change like that would make the Parakeet extinct. And that's EXACTLY what they did with the tooltip for Raze talent of Sins today.

So, easy nerf targets? You betcha! But probably not the way you think.

Powertechs may have been underplayed to start with but at least on my server they're all over now. The other day I was in a WZ with 6 other powertechs. An 8th joined and immediately said "8 PT's? F that" and left haha. (Probably good thinking cause with such a homogenous group we did indeed get slaughtered).

Course that's a really extreme example. But I'd say PT are indeed pretty potent and people are noticing. For me it's the utility that's so addicting (especially jet charge / grapple) more than butt-kicking per se.

Powertechs may have been underplayed to start with but at least on my server they're all over now. The other day I was in a WZ with 6 other powertechs. An 8th joined and immediately said "8 PT's? F that" and left haha. (Probably good thinking cause with such a homogenous group we did indeed get slaughtered).

Course that's a really extreme example. But I'd say PT are indeed pretty potent and people are noticing. For me it's the utility that's so addicting (especially jet charge / grapple) more than butt-kicking per se.

Voidstar PWN team interlocking AOE death, enemy literally can't get the corner to stop the plant. And try capping against all that AOE. It's a steamroll played agressively.

OP,

First, I wouldn't worry about it just yet. The next target seems to be Assassins. In case you don't read Sin forums, the last two patches the tooltips on Sin abilities keep changing. Each change effectively kills a hybrid spec. Changes are along the lines of specific abilities requiring a specific stance (or cylinder, in PT lingo) to function.

While the abilities themselves haven't changed, they still work the same, tooltips have. And they keep changing them more each patch. When the patch comes that makes abilities work like tooltips say, Sin hybrid specs will be finished. Totally annihilated. Nothing less than full 31-pointers will work.

Second, as a Powertech, I DO worry about the upcoming nerf. And it IS coming. Maybe not any time soon, but it is. Let's face it, Carolina Parakeet is popular. After seeing the preview of that is coming for Assassins, I'd say it is a very safe bet that Parakeet will be annihilated as well. Probably along the lines of Prototype Particle Accelerator requiring you to use the Combustible Gas Cylinder to function. A change like that would make the Parakeet extinct. And that's EXACTLY what they did with the tooltip for Raze talent of Sins today.

So, easy nerf targets? You betcha! But probably not the way you think.

Well, if the parakeet build goes the way of the bird people will just switch to the iron fist build, the only way to nerf that one is to... fix pure AP builds.

Won't happen any time soon.

We don't look cool, we aren't very flashy, and our numbers really aren't big. Just consistent and constant.

Sin/Shadows, Ops/Scroun, and Sorc/Sage will be nerfed before anything else. And if you check the Ops forums, many of them are saying that the "nerf" they just got is a blessing in disguise.

Our AC is overtuned though, but it matches with the fact that proper tanking of damage from certain attacks is undertuned.

why would they nerf mercs and sorcs when 50% of the population is those classes? that would anger so many people

ever wonder WHY 50% of the population is those classes? When folks realize something's better, they flock to it. If BioWare's looking for "balance," wouldn't they look at 50% of the population residing in 2 advanced classes as being UNbalanced? Wouldn't they want to fix that?

We don't look cool, we aren't very flashy, and our numbers really aren't big. Just consistent and constant.

This. I think the fact that most of our animations are so underwhelming, especially on the Vanguard side of things, most people don't see that we're capable of dealing a lot of punishment, while taking it, too.

Our hardest hitting ability, Railshot/High Impact Bolt is near unreconizable.

Hell, I can't even tell when I actually shoot one in PvP, except for the big damage number.

I really don't see why they'd nerf Powertechs. Or that if they did, that it'd be anything significant. It's a strong class, but there's no mechanics that even remotely appear egregious.

Sin/Shadows, Ops/Scroun, and Sorc/Sage will be nerfed before anything else. And if you check the Ops forums, many of them are saying that the "nerf" they just got is a blessing in disguise.

Our AC is overtuned though, but it matches with the fact that proper tanking of damage from certain attacks is undertuned.

Uh, why shadows? I thought they were considered fairly universally to be nothing particularly special. ?

I don't see the burst kill capacity of PT. I think people that fight and die to them will feel like they had a fair fight and any drastic adjustment seems unlikely. Granted my PT doesn't have 31 pts to spend.

Nerf targets at least initially are always those that make opposition targets feel helpless. And in the operative nerf the dev's specifically said it was about burst.

That said every class in this game will eventually take class changes. It's the nature of MMO's.

Youve never seen the burst capacity?

About 75% of all games I play I get 4 medals within the first 15-20 seconds, including run time.

Solo kill

Killing blow

2.5k hit

5k hit

Thats on whoever I want it to be, even battlemasters, pyrotechs dont discriminate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.