Problem with Animations canceling abilities

Lormif

I keep noticing problems with animations cancelling my abilities and wondering if anyone else noticed it, and what is the reasoning hind it.

For example on SOA, with 32ms latency and 60FPS when I jump down from one ledge to another, if I start a heal as soon as I land it starts. As soon as my characters stand animation starts it is cancelled. I tested this around 20 times and got the same result.

Anyone else seen this?

It's client to server communication. Your ping is fluctuating as you're doing those actions, and you begin to cast that heal before the server recognizes that you've landed and are standing still. It's being worked on as an aspect of ability delay.

I keep noticing problems with animations cancelling my abilities and wondering if anyone else noticed it, and what is the reasoning hind it.

For example on SOA, with 32ms latency and 60FPS when I jump down from one ledge to another, if I start a heal as soon as I land it starts. As soon as my characters stand animation starts it is cancelled. I tested this around 20 times and got the same result.

Anyone else seen this?

Check the links in my sig for more info and the main thread on this issue.

It's client to server communication. Your ping is fluctuating as you're doing those actions, and you begin to cast that heal before the server recognizes that you've landed and are standing still. It's being worked on as an aspect of ability delay.

Dude I have a steady 32ms latency and did it over 20 times. If your theory was correct then out of those 20, statistically, I would have some that would have registered properly and was not cancelled, but NONE were...

To put it in perspective, a 1000ms latency is equivilant to a 1 second ping, so 32 MS is is 32/1000 second ping not even the best human can register that much.

Edited by Lormif

Yeah I get this a lot when I've died, revive and I start channeling the recovery spell too soon.

Also sometimes I swear deflecting things with my saber means abilities can't go off.

Edited by areto

Check the links in my sig for more info and the main thread on this issue.

Yes, I know and understand the ability delay in itself, however did not see anything in the developer blog about animation issues being fixed.

Yes, I know and understand the ability delay in itself, however did not see anything in the developer blog about animation issues being fixed.

Its not an animation issue, what you're seeing is an anti cheat measure. It's ping problems, and ToR not hiding the inherit delay produced by TCP/UDP protocols. You are pressing your heal button while the server thinks that you're still floating downward.

Trust me, its a ping issue. It's not your fault. I'm not calling you out. Pings spike at a constant rate. Way faster than you can see in the game. Having a 60ms ping time when you send the command, and having a 120ms ping time when the answer to that command is coming back to you, that is the delay you are experiencing. The server doesn't trust the client to make the distinction of where you are, that is also an anti cheat measure, to prevent botting, therefore the server must tell the client it's ok to cast that heal. You are casting it before you've received the OK.

Edited by mattdell

Its not an animation issue, what you're seeing is an anti cheat measure. It's ping problems, and ToR not hiding the inherit delay produced by TCP/UDP protocols. You are pressing your heal button while the server thinks that you're still floating downward.

Trust me, its a ping issue. It's not your fault. I'm not calling you out. Pings spike at a constant rate. Way faster than you can see in the game. Having a 60ms ping time when you send the command, and having a 120ms ping time when the answer to that command is coming back to you, that is the delay you are experiencing. The server doesn't trust the client to make the distinction of where you are, that is also an anti cheat measure, to prevent botting, therefore the server must tell the client it's ok to cast that heal. You are casting it before you've received the OK.

Do you know how short of a time 120MS is? Do you really? You cant even answer that question in your mind in 120ms.

The average reaction time of a person is .4 seconds, or 400MS This means that when I see my character hit the ground your 120MS ping has already resolved any problems before I actually click my mouse buttons.

In addition I can tell you statistically 20 out of 20 times would not have this issue if it was a latency issue as you state.

Also nothing you stated would prevent botting. At most it would prevent the old school EQ days pull your cable then plug it back in to get arround packs of mobs.

Do you know how short of a time 120MS is? Do you really? You cant even answer that question in your mind in 120ms.

The average reaction time of a person is .4 seconds, or 400MS This means that when I see my character hit the ground your 120MS ping has already resolved any problems before I actually click my mouse buttons.

In addition I can tell you statistically 20 out of 20 times would not have this issue if it was a latency issue as you state.

Also nothing you stated would prevent botting. At most it would prevent the old school EQ days pull your cable then plug it back in to get arround packs of mobs.

Well, I'm done. I won't argue with someone that can't see how limiting the clients abilities prevents botting. Go learn how the TCP protocol works, then argue this with me. Until then, just trust in the fact that the Devs know what is going on, and they're working on cloning the ways that WoW hid ability delay (ping differences & anti cheat).

Edited by mattdell

Well, I'm done. I won't argue with someone that can't see how limiting the clients abilities prevents botting. Go learn how the TCP protocol works, then argue this with me. Until then, just trust in the fact that the Devs know what is going on, and they're working on cloning the ways that WoW hid ability delay (ping differences & anti cheat).

Lol really, that is the best argument you have. I understand TCP, 4 year degree in both IT and CS, as well as several networking certifications.

Besides you still did not address the major point of the argument. How having a latency, spike as you put it, that is still faster by about 4x faster than the average reaction time will blow a statistical curve. I mean unless you think I have some ungodly reaction time....

Edited by Lormif