SWTOR has "Failed" ~ Just looking for evidence.

Umbrex

Casuals use arguments (this is a real example) such as "I paid for a 6 months subscription because I don't have that much time to play, so now I can just play whenever I can without having to worry about renewing"

In fact, the more you play, the more value you get for those 15$ bucks. Also, the more you play, the more glaring the flaws of this game becomes. That's why hardcore MMO players know more than your girlfriend and your sister.

I find the fact amusing that you are confusing the argument "This is a successful game" with "this is a quality game".

The OP was arguing success of the game, you are arguing that casuals don't know what they are talking about.

If the game maintains millions of casual gamers for a couple years, i'd say that's pretty successful, regardless of the qulity or ANYONE's opinion of it, casual or hardcore. If people pay to play, and keep doing it, then regardless of WHY they play (casual indifference or for quality) they make the game a success.

When you are looking at recruiting and retaining customers, who are easier to please?

-Bemm

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen quite a few people say how "SWTOR is failing" or something along those lines.

Just wondering where they are getting the "evidence" behind these claims.

I don't understand how anyone can take those people seriously when Bioware doesn't release subscriptions numbers...and almost all of the player-tracking tools are very far from accurate.

I'm just baffled that this many people can confidently write a post saying "Well its obvious SWTOR is a failure"

*Shakes head*

Did I miss some news article that release subscription numbers of people on their second month compared to the number of people that purchased the game?

it's very obvious that SWTOR is a failure. It's more like a common sense.

evidence?

#1. look at it. this is so crappy. eyes can't decieve how crappy this game looks.

#2. stupid designs choice. half of the monsters are droids you saw from the 1st dungeon and you still see it when you are level 50.

#3. pvp is so unbalanced.

#4. airlock, orbital station...

#5. look at the armor design, they are made out of fresh crap.

You need to read my response. EA and all other publishers only receive approx 67% of all box-sold profits. This excludes sales on origin which I assume are less than 10% of its total sale.

I also estimate that origin plus CE sales total only 15-20 % of all copies sold. That means roughly 80% of all copies sold are regular edition in retail.

Source? Again, I'm an MBA student and the videogame industry is my focus.

Well you must be failing if you think Origin and CEs account for 15-20% of sales.

It's indicative that you're making the assumption you want to make based on zero information.

I like how games like Rift have 100k subs and they fine with releasing that number. BioWare wanted sub numbers in millions but guess what with server pops at the level they are at constantly on EU servers I doubt they can post their sub numbers without it having an effect on EA stock prices.

The fact that this 200 million dollar, 4 year development game isn't releasing press-releases on their subscription numbers 5 weeks into the release speaks volumes.

If they had something to brag about, they would. I'm sure they'll spin this somehow positively in the investor phone call, but that'll just be good PR.

So why are you here?

I'm bored and have nothing better to do. Mostly the reason I was playing SWTOR, but at least this is free. I enjoy forums.

I could go to the D3 forums, but they're not really that interesting and I'd rather let that game sit in the back of my mind till release.

I could go back to WoW forums, but those are just full of trolls.

MMO-Champ? Yeah Maybe, haven't wandered around there too much other than the WoW section but if they're just going to talk about changes to a game I lost interest in ages ago it just seems more pointless than this.

Terraria forums? God that game is full of children, I wanted to enjoy it but those forums are just literally childish.

Those are my only options I have lol.

Edited by Ilsildor

I like how games like Rift have 100k subs and they fine with releasing that number. BioWare wanted sub numbers in millions but guess what with server pops at the level they are at constantly on EU servers I doubt they can post their sub numbers without it having an effect on EA stock prices.

Suuuuure, that's why.

It couldn't be anything else, they're hiding it from us!

I find the fact amusing that you are confusing the argument "This is a successful game" with "this is a quality game".

The OP was arguing success of the game, you are arguing that casuals don't know what they are talking about.

If the game maintains millions of casual gamers for a couple years, i'd say that's pretty successful, regardless of the qulity or ANYONE's opinion of it, casual or hardcore. If people pay to play, and keep doing it, then regardless of WHY they play (casual indifference or for quality) they make the game a success.

When you are looking at recruiting and retaining customers, who are easier to please?

-Bemm

Why do you measure a games success in dollar terms, you don't get that money so shouldn't you be measuring success by other indicators?

Do you plan on measuring whether your life was a success by how much money you have at the point of death?

Honestly, no one who actually moved on from this game would still be posting doomsday on the forums. Either they are trolls, people looking for attention, wow paid employees, or whiners who have too much time on their hands. Anyone who actually unsubed for not liking the game a) cannot post here (trust, my card got messed up and for an hour i didnt have a sub, I instantly couldnt forum post), and b) wouldnt care enough to post here.

Wrong, Unsubbed and posting :p

That says a lot about you.

You have nothing better to do than spew on about a game you aren't even playing.

I was never spewing on anything. I just gave out my thoughts on the topic. You're spewing by attacking my thoughts. You like it? Good for you, I'm not saying you're wrong.

They have their 3rd quarter financial call in 2 days. We will find out a lot then.

I bought 5 18 June calls this week.

I was never spewing on anything. I just gave out my thoughts on the topic. You're spewing by attacking my thoughts. You like it? Good for you, I'm not saying you're wrong.

Making "I unsubbed cause it sucks" basically makes your posts irrelevant.

Suuuuure, that's why.

It couldn't be anything else, they're hiding it from us!

I know right!

/sarcasm off

What else could it be? I mean you are really giving us alot of proof in your counter argument oh wait you dont have one....

Reposting because someone got all hurt over me calling the fanbois of this game stupid and getting my post removed.

Prime time 7:32 pm GMT

1- Full server Fatman

2- Very Heavy Servers

22+ - Heavy servers

?? number of servers - standard

2- Light servers

The population of SWTOR isn't dead, at least not yet. Probably by the end of the first (this billing cycle) or the second billing cycle depending on what the servers look like is what will tell you how the game is fairing.

Still lots of time. But SWTOR does have it's own meme already : TORtanic.

That's a pun on Titanic.

Also, this game sucks and has poor coding.

Yeah those are what we call "casuals"

Casual gamers are the ones that buy Call of Duty every year and think it's GOTY. Casuals are gamers who don't care about industry issues because they are detached consumers. Casuals are people who bought the Wii en masse. Casuals lack the experience to make informed judgments about the quality of a game.

Casuals are people who think playing a few hours a week is value for a 15$ per month subscription.

Casuals are people who fund ALL MMOs except for the fails like Mortal Online.

So if you want to kill this game (or any game) driving off the casuals is a good way to do it.

What makes a game "quality" anyway? Whether YOU enjoy it or whether others do?

The arrogance in this place reeks.

Casuals are people who fund ALL MMOs except for the fails like Mortal Online.

So if you want to kill this game (or any game) driving off the casuals is a good way to do it.

What makes a game "quality" anyway? Whether YOU enjoy it or whether others do?

The arrogance in this place reeks.

Yeah, but he is an MBA student, he knows EVERYTHING!