SWTOR has "Failed" ~ Just looking for evidence.

Umbrex

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 90 dollar per box estimate is if less than 1/3 of the people bought CE, reg box is 60, digital download was 80, ce was 150, Id say average of 90 dollars a box is a decent estimate, and we know they sold over 2 million. Meaning they at least made back the claimed 180 million dollar pricetag on box sales alone. Not to mention subscriber base. Everyone still posting on the forums is still subscribed or they cant post.

You need to read my response. EA and all other publishers only receive approx 67% of all box-sold profits. This excludes sales on origin which I assume are less than 10% of its total sale.

I also estimate that origin plus CE sales total only 15-20 % of all copies sold. That means roughly 80% of all copies sold are regular edition in retail.

Source? Again, I'm an MBA student and the videogame industry is my focus.

You need to read my response. EA and all other publishers only receive approx 67% of all box-sold profits. This excludes sales on origin which I assume are less than 10% of its total sale.

I also estimate that origin plus CE sales total only 15-20 % of all copies sold. That means roughly 80% of all copies sold are regular edition in retail.

Yeah, we hear you, youre someone who is going to fail a fake MBA program because you dont understand that in order to claim something you have to cite a source.

I have no evidence, I just think most people were not looking to play WoW with light sabers. I'm personally waiting for the 40k MMO or better yet the next guild wars looks very interesting. They have elements that would have saved Galaxies from their flop. I never did write that game off as a total loss. It was in may ways better then WoW.

I really shouldn't have wasted my money but I am happy I didn't buy the collectors edition. In retrospect I was hoping this game would be as good as Galaxies before they screwed it up. It really seems like they went backwards on this one. Even as a 'WoW re-skin' it fails to have everything that Blizzard has packed in that falling star. I am happy they didn't have pandas and at the same time crushed they didn't give you more race/class options (Wookie's being better then Pandas of course...) Hate on me if you want but it's all there. Just go back to the release of Galaxies and compare the two. Sony had it right for the most part but the era, the limitation on Jedi and a lack of player direction. Outside of that the game was spot on.

I guess the only real question would actually be why would they waste their money on a company that made Warhammer Online. EA's track record isn't the best when it come to MMO's and yet Lucas Arts teamed up with them. Lucas Arts should have stuck with Sony or gambled on a no name company compared to the proven failure they shacked up with. I hope they made their $300 Million back on release. That's all I'm going to say on that.

I really don't care if you like what I'm saying or even if you agree with me. I know Lucas Arts **** on me and stole my money. I find myself playing Facebook games more then TOR and the FB games are free.

None of that is true. At least 60% of sales were via origin.

I know because I'm Warren Buffet and I own stuff.

As an MBA student, you'll know you don't actually have the data to claim any of the things you claimed until their investor call when they release their financials, which is early February.

Being an MBA student isn't a source. It's a joke.

Most of the executives I know with actual MBAs are out making money, not trolling forums. They recognize that their time is more valuable than this.

Bragging about being an MBA student on a game forum means just as claiming you're the Queen of England. If you actually learned anything from your business classes, you'd certainly have more confidence and education than to brag about being a student on a game forum while simultaneously proving you don't know what you're talking about by by presenting no facts and claiming a potential degree in the future is a source.

Edited by Mannoth

On a separate note:

I have quite a few friends / family members that have no idea there is even a debate about this game.

They just play their mild amounts of time day to day and only bother to ask when the game is turned off for them by maintenance.

I know plenty of others like this out there exist.

I have no evidence, I just think most people were not looking to play WoW with light sabers. I'm personally waiting for the 40k MMO or better yet the next guild wars looks very interesting. They have elements that would have saved Galaxies from their flop. I never did write that game off as a total loss. It was in may ways better then WoW.

I really shouldn't have wasted my money but I am happy I didn't buy the collectors edition. In retrospect I was hoping this game would be as good as Galaxies before they screwed it up. It really seems like they went backwards on this one. Even as a 'WoW re-skin' it fails to have everything that Blizzard has packed in that falling star. I am happy they didn't have pandas and at the same time crushed they didn't give you more race/class options (Wookie's being better then Pandas of course...) Hate on me if you want but it's all there. Just go back to the release of Galaxies and compare the two. Sony had it right for the most part but the era, the limitation on Jedi and a lack of player direction. Outside of that the game was spot on.

I guess the only real question would actually be why would they waste their money on a company that made Warhammer Online. EA's track record isn't the best when it come to MMO's and yet Lucas Arts teamed up with them. Lucas Arts should have stuck with Sony or gambled on a no name company compared to the proven failure they shacked up with. I hope they made their $300 Million back on release. That's all I'm going to say on that.

I really don't care if you like what I'm saying or even if you agree with me. I know Lucas Arts **** on me and stole my money. I find myself playing Facebook games more then TOR and the FB games are free.

So, why are you still subbed after the first month? If you werent subbed, you couldnt post...

On a separate note:

I have quite a few friends / family members that have no idea there is even a debate about this game.

They just play their mild amounts of time day to day and only bother to ask when the game is turned off for them by maintenance.

I know plenty of others like this out there exist.

Thats me, my family and all my friends. I spend time in the forums when I am doing other things and can't play but I'm the only one I know that even comes here. BTW we all love the game.

As an MBA student, you'll know you don't actually have the data to claim any of the things you claimed until their investor call when they release their financials, which is early February.

Being an MBA student isn't a source. It's a joke.

Most of the executives I know with actual MBAs are out making money, not trolling forums. They recognize that their time is more valuable than this.

Bragging about being an MBA student on a game forum means just as much to anyone as claiming you're the Queen of England. If you actually learned anything from your business classes, you'd certainly have more confidence and education than to brag about being a student on a game forum while simultaneously proving you don't know what you're talking about by by presenting no facts and claiming a potential degree in the future is a source.

Assume for a second you know for a fact that I am in an ACCREDITED MBA program. Compare my opinion to a guy with absolutely NO background in business and economics. Whose opinion would be more credible?

Yeah I'm not out there making millions of dollars because I am in school.

Thats me, my family and all my friends. I spend time in the forums when I am doing other things and can't play but I'm the only one I know that even comes here. BTW we all love the game.

How DARE they enjoy themselves without being fully informed of the true tragedy of this game's eternal shortcomings! It's almost as if they're ignoring the efforts of the windowlicking trolls on the forums to disrupt their ignorant bliss - it's inconceivable! ;)

Assume for a second you know for a fact that I am in an ACCREDITED MBA program. Compare my opinion to a guy with absolutely NO background in business and economics. Whose opinion would be more credible?

Seeing as how I have no way of verifying whether or not you are an MBA student, or if you're actually doing well at it if you are one, I see no reason why I should I give your opinion any more weight than I would my barber's.

How DARE they enjoy themselves without being fully informed of the true tragedy of this game's eternal shortcomings! It's almost as if they're ignoring the efforts of the windowlicking trolls on the forums to disrupt their ignorant bliss - it's inconceivable! ;)

Yeah those are what we call "casuals"

Casual gamers are the ones that buy Call of Duty every year and think it's GOTY. Casuals are gamers who don't care about industry issues because they are detached consumers. Casuals are people who bought the Wii en masse. Casuals lack the experience to make informed judgments about the quality of a game.

Casuals are people who think playing a few hours a week is value for a 15$ per month subscription.

Casual gamers are the ones that buy Call of Duty every year and think it's GOTY. Casuals are gamers who don't care about industry issues because they are detached consumers. Casuals are people who bought the Wii en masse. Casuals lack the experience to make informed judgments about the quality of a game.

Casuals are people who think playing a few hours a week is value for a 15$ per month subscription.

You got a problem with casuals?

/yawn

MBA's are people who fabricate market data out of thin air. At least if 2008 was any indication.

Here is an excellent sample of this game's failure: http://beta.xfire.com/games/swtor

Just keep an eye on it in the next few weeks. Its sampling nearly 10,000 players. I don't care if the demographic is different or what have you. With that many players you have a really nice mix of people. Enough to give you a good idea of how the overall trending of the game's population is going.... AND ITS GOING DOWN - FAST.

Edited by Proto

Neither, really - as neither of you have any actual experience in that field, never mind the field actually being discussed, what would be the point of asking either of you?

You're a virgin with a copy of the Kinsey report - I could ask you and another virgin about sex, but, as neither of you has any applied knowledge in the subject, I'd get two different, but probably incorrect, answers. The fun part, though, is that the virgin with a copy of the Kinsey report would be smugly confident in their incorrect answer - got that report and all.

Indeed.