SWTOR has "Failed" ~ Just looking for evidence.

Umbrex

I'd say it is somewhere in the middle.

Production Cost vs Total Cost though as well.

Production Cost of 200 million is still staggering. 500 million, if it is accurate is simply unbelievable. That is one investment I would be asking serious questions about come Feb 2nd at 2.

Edited by JediKnightKillah

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it is somewhere in the middle.

Production Cost vs Total Cost though as well.

Production Cost of 200 million is still staggering. 500 million, if it is accurate is simply unbelievable. That is one investment I would be asking serious questions about come tomorrow at 2.

Yea even at 200 million its still the most expensive video game ever. For some perspective.

200 million is a large Budget Blockbuster Hollywood production. The Dark Knight cost abotu 200 million to make.

500 million is about what the cruise-liner that just sunk in Italy cost.

Agreed but I doubt they have made back 500 million just yet....

http://www.vg247.com/2012/01/17/analyst-ea-has-invested-close-to-500-million-in-swtor/

and in case you need something from the actual market industry....

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-riccitiello-aims-high-2012-01-17?pagenumber=2

But that could be a lie as well. Either way you will never know by listening to the investor meetings as the breakdowns won't be there. Investors look for the bottom line. If they still see their $$$$ they don't care about the details for the most part.

I will never understand why people keep citing these gross estimations.

So far I've seen "EXPERT ANALYSTS" estimate anything between 80 million and 500 million.

What a joke.

How much did they spend on it and how much did they make on it. Sources would help as well. I dont think they are even close to making what they spent on it but thats just a guess.

Estimated between 100 and 300 million. Given they sold over 2 mil copies thus far, at an average of 90 bucks a copy, thats close to 200 mil.

Population shrinking since launch is a good indicator.

really, in what way has it been shrinking? I logged on last night at 1930 and I saw a crap load of heavy servers a crap load of standard servers and only 2 light servers....

but you say the server populations are shrinking but yet, they still appear the same......but you said they are shrinking........and I cant....oh nevermind. Take your facts and go back to the console...

Estimated between 100 and 300 million. Given they sold over 2 mil copies thus far, at an average of 90 bucks a copy, thats close to 200 mil.

2 million people bought collectors editions then? i dont even think 2 million people bought the game.

Its sad that people need others to tell them something is popular so they can decide if they like it or not. I personally like the game alot as does everyone else that i play with, its not perfect and never will be, it will always be improving as any ongoing game does. If you don't like the game why not just quit and not waste any more of your time.

If you do like it and have issues use your brain to make an educated suggestion on how you would like it to be fixed, think about how your suggestion would change the game in a positive and negative way, most peoples suggestions never go any where because they arnt very well thought out.

Being really stoned at 3am saying lighting need more dmg stealth broken isn't gonna change anything

Tldr : I play because I like the game not because 13million people do you should quit for the same reason

Wall of Text crits for over 9000...

I am almost inclined to agree with the numbers for this reasoning.

We were promised Epic battles and gameplay, having played every char to 30 and two 50's I have yet to find it.

General questing feels boring drawn out and pointless, republic is sensless killing that isn't gear toward anything, the empire is a little better because they reward you for pointless killing.

The PVP, we all love voidstar its cool an actual battle where teamwork comes into play and premades don't mean much, alderaan we tolerate because it's mildly interesting but if you have a premade its cake 96percent of the time, huttball enough said, you get three players on voice and the game is over before you begin.

The flashpoints, if you are a commando, bounty hunter, consular, inq you can solo all but two and the other two you only need one more person, same is almost true for hard but those are quite easily done with just two.

RPG in an MMO, ex, I am a combat medic: quest is go an kill all these people come back pick up the quest and go kill some more turn in and go kill some more, go talk to this guy and guess what go kill some more. Where are the heah medic we need your help healing the troops as they actually advance on the battlefield or prepping people for evac or something IDK something like a medic would do. Jedi all they do is kill, sith they don't kill enough, agents (they are suppose to be spy like right) do you see james bond going and killing all the people in a city, the best spies are the ones who you never hear about, not the one who kills the most.

The worlds are incredible and awesome to look at but if you sit there and quest then you know that nothing matters at all, just like um well all other MMO's save for guild wars or maybe rift. IE go and retake that fort and kill the sith lord who is there, you fight and fight and kill all in the base to get to the Lord and then kill him, he drops a durasteel chest piece and then guess what they all just respawn and nothing you have done means a thing, you may be saying oh its just a game but hey we all do the quest and spent the last twenty minutes of hard grinding to clear the base, the least they could do is make some friendly troops show up and hold it say for at least ten minutes or something to make us feel better.

So in point BW has failed on everything except the VO, it is wonderful its cool and neat the first time through but having played every quest on both sides getting to 50 you know all the quests and the VO and the only thing you have to look forward to is the class quest and they don't get you to 50, very sad. The class quests are the great saving grace to SWTOR, they are well thought out and progress the story extrememly well but I think after they put the class quests in the writers and design team took a vacation thinking they were done and then puked up the remaining quests. Remember that after a certain point the two sides are at war but having spent nearly a decade in the middle east and other places fighting so called wars this feels nothing like a war but a pathetic attempt to copy wow. I see so many quests that are carbon copies of wow and other mmo's merely wrapped in a star wars package, the only thing new is the VO and that gets old really quick.

So the sad part is I believe the numbers that they have lost alot of subscriptions based on so much that went wrong in the story and I feel really bad about it because they built up something that has been in development for nearly a decade and then let out something that was not able to follow through with what they promised. It is a sad day when people decide not to play star wars because I had such high hopes for a game I could play casually and with no grind with excellent story that they said but the sad truth is that BW should not have gotten the contract to do an MMO. KOTOR was a star wars game and well thought out with fun side games and quests that made since and a common story line throughout with twists and plot changes, surprise, intrigue and was well done. I wish someone at BW would have played KOTOR a couple of times and took notes on what the community said they did well insted of making something that is well not worth the fifty hours it takes to get to 50.

Moreover, just for giggles since that was posted I headed over to

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

And just looked (As I'm away from home right now), and it's saying only 15 US servers are light..so..ya know..if you're going to use that for a basis I would say you need to organize top/bottom ingame?

Ok so this near the month of January. My current time is 7:21 central U.S., so it's 5:20 in PST, 6:20 in MST, 7:20 CST, and 8:20 in EST.

No server list

10 light

A lot standard

Maybe 10 Heavy

and 1 Heavy

European Servers are all light at the moment, obviously cause they're all at work. Unfortunately I can't give numbers at the moment. Also do remember BW did add a lot of servers, due to high queue times, so naturally population would be spread around a lot.

Those who say it's light, are either on at 2 am and looking at server list or are playing when normal people are at work.

Tldr : I play because I like the game not because 13million people do you should quit for the same reason

I dont think anyone is saying that its failed because it doesnt have 13 million people, but rather that it might not have enough people to sustain for a long run to make back the money they spent.

well pop phasers only log how many poeple are on at a given moment, which =/= subs.

my servers tends to be high demand and rarely empity. feelt noramly 240+, even hoth had 100 poeple. Shadow hand server been busy and i see tons of pvp groups up in my guild.

once a few months go by i'm sure bw give out a sub number once they ready.

who knows maybe they give an out a shocking number for a "failing" mmo,4+ million i think shut up the "it doom game" crowd. will it get big as wow ina year? unlikely. but over time and some fixes.

Check again, CE is 150 bucks, and quite a few people bought it.

I think you need a basic business and economics lecture. Box retailers like Best Buy and Gamestop buy the boxes for 40$ and receive a profit of 20$ when they sell them.

That means EA only receive 40$ for each box sold. And, not that many bought the CE, not nearly enough to recuperate the 200 million development estimate from box sales alone.

No, EA needs massive subscriber numbers for at least one year before they can make positive economic profits.

I think you need a basic business and economics lecture. Box retailers like Best Buy and Gamestop buy the boxes for 40$ and receive a profit of 20$ when they sell them.

That means EA only receive 40$ for each box sold. And, not that many bought the CE, not nearly enough to recuperate the 200 million development estimate from box sales alone.

No, EA needs massive subscriber numbers for at least one year before they can make positive economic profits.

Source?

Quite a few aye?

The 90 dollar per box estimate is if less than 1/3 of the people bought CE, reg box is 60, digital download was 80, ce was 150, Id say average of 90 dollars a box is a decent estimate, and we know they sold over 2 million. Meaning they at least made back the claimed 180 million dollar pricetag on box sales alone. Not to mention subscriber base. Everyone still posting on the forums is still subscribed or they cant post.

Most it is just nerd rage, some of it seems to be true.

But there are some glaring errors, like the graphic glitch with those green lights around republic bases.

But over all its pretty well put together.

Edited by Talosred