Malavai Quinn *SPOILERS*

Rotha

it seems to me that crafting deficiencies are hardly a reason to eliminate the ability to kill off companions, since crafting is not really a game breaking decision. On the other hand losing your only healer would be something moreso along those lines, but is this option really the only way? Why with all the companions that are available are there not more options for this? It seems you could create a lot more variation in companion preferences if you allowed for two different ways in which you could utilize each companion. Take Jaesa as an example, she uses saberstaff which could easily indicate a possible tank as well as dps, but instead you only get an option for dps/bleed dps. Really? That really doesn't give up a lot of options. If they created an option to utilize the companions in different ways they might encourage more useage out of underutilized characters solely based on utility.

The droid is a healer as well. I was really disappointed in not being able to kill quinn especially after we super force pushed him against the door and went all glowy eyed. Then some force choking and a speech directed at a 5 year old to never do it again. Lame.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What BioWare should have done was just completely removed this from the game.

In beta, yeah, you could kill him, and yeah, it was removed.

On that note, I play a female character and I had him at (or close to) 10,000 affection on his betrayal. When I faced him in combat, his droid was pathetic. I don't know if it was because of my affection with him or not because I seriously don't remember it being this easy in beta. I was hitting the droid extremely hard.

But yeah, BioWare shouldn't have this in there since killing would be a very suitable option for such an act against a Sith Lord.

My Opinion has changed a little, and even as a no nonsense Dark V since L30 SW I recently played out the encounter and I am happy enough with the outcome, He has been Invaluble to me and the crew , Useful team player and depedable ( besides his AI bug that stops him from healing me he has killed me more than once that way hehehe) and made one slip up and not a very good attempt at that (was he not trying very hard?).

It would have been nice to have the option to kill him, But he is still useful, and there are easier ways to kill a sith lord, Bomb on the Ship for example having free run of the ship he could have done that easy.

But seeing what he has done for me in the past I am willing to give him one and only one more chance.

I choked him to almost death, with all intention of punishing him by bringing him to the cusp of death. I wanted no part of losing Quinn but I did want to be the one exacting his punishment.

I see it as a sign of power that I permit him to stay in my company. He is no threat to me, as was proven and his obedience is paramount to his role now. I always felt like his connection with Baras had to be severed and was gleefully surprised when he attempted to set me up.

I want Quinn by my side as I face Baras so he knows his efforts to usurp me are futile. Baras will see all of his failure as I deliver my previous master to his tomb, and Quinn will be there to witness how weak he is in my presence.

The fact that you cannot make a choice that ends in Quinn not leaving that space station is the single biggest failure of any Bioware game I have ever played, and I have played them all.

It goes against the entire story that they are telling, every fiber of the character they have developed along the SW arc, and the very essence of what they say makes SWTOR stand out from other similar games; story.

The entire point of the whole story is you hunting a person who betrayed you to the ends of the galaxy and doing whatever it takes to end them. Along the way you kill (or are given the option to) literally countless individuals who have done nothing whatsoever to deserve it, and eliminated a huge number of people who threatened your goals.

and right at what should be the high point of that story arc, here is this extremely prominent betrayal by a close ally who tries to kill you and has secretly been serving your arch-nemesis, and the only freaking option on the whole freaking game is to freaking forgive him and not tell anyone else on the team that he is a lieing, betraying, worthless piece of trash that doesn't deserve to be allowed to exist. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

the writers of twilight have more skill telling a convincing and consistent story then the worthless untalented two-bit hack who wrote this.

Ugh...I had used him frequently right before it happened. I had him out when he turned around to face me in my way and I just knew.....I wanted to choke the life right out of him. And I would have. Directly after I wouldn't use him either. But it looks like he's here to stay.

I managed to get spoiled on this point and it just doesn't feel right if Quinn is your LI.Until I know there is some kind of way to resolve this issue in a good way I will not lvl up my SW. It's not like I haven't got anything else to do in game. My first toon is about to hit 50 and I have a BH just waiting to get started. But for me, this doesn't feel right, you should be able to kick him of the ship and he should only be able to come back after proving that he is really there for the SW and the relationship.

Does he at least sound sad if you choose to end the relationship afterwards?

Edited by SilentKitty

I managed to get spoiled on this point and it just doesn't feel right if Quinn is your LI.Until I know there is some kind of way to resolve this issue in a good way I will not lvl up my SW. It's not like I haven't got anything else to do in game. My first toon is about to hit 50 and I have a BH just waiting to get started. But for me, this doesn't feel right, you should be able to kick him of the ship and he should only be able to come back after proving that he is really there for the SW and the relationship.

Does he at least sound sad if you choose to end the relationship afterwards?

If you don't take any other companion on the mission the first part of his speech sounds a little more sad. I think either way if you end the relationship he says something about his mistake costing him dearly.

It is also worth mentioning that if you leave him on your ship during the Corellia mission A Jedi Spy, he will do something that will give you a little bit more dialog about it. It isn't a lot of dialog, but it's along the general lines of him trying to redeem himself. (I was glad someone else on the forums mentioned this before I did that mission myself. :) )

I found that saving my very last conversation with him until after the end of the SW quest line helped. The conversation and letters (assuming you don't end the relationship) seemed to fit better there than they could have at any point before the end of the story.

Edited by Llywela

If you don't take any other companion on the mission the first part of his speech sounds a little more sad. I think either way if you end the relationship he says something about his mistake costing him dearly.

It is also worth mentioning that if you leave him on your ship during the Corellia mission A Jedi Spy, he will do something that will give you a little bit more dialog about it. It isn't a lot of dialog, but it's along the general lines of him trying to redeem himself. (I was glad someone else on the forums mentioned this before I did that mission myself. :) )

I found that saving my very last conversation with him until after the end of the SW quest line helped. The conversation and letters (assuming you don't end the relationship) seemed to fit better there than they could have at any point before the end of the story.

I figured that was probably the case.....now I wish I wasn't so into seeing the companion stories so quickly....think I will try pacing out my IA's a bit better.

I'd kill Quinn.

I think the Empire should then assign a replacement. A generic "Imperial Captain" will work. They don't gain affection and have zero crafting bonuses. Companion skills "heals, dps abilities, etc" stay the same.

This^^^

I actually haven't gotten betrayed by quinn yet but I have built his affection well into the thousands. I have been going light side 95% of the time. Just knowing that I will have to be on a ship with someone that could slit my throat in my sleep not to mention his impending stunt makes me cringe.

As soon as I read of the his betrayal I started using Jaesa Willsaam (spelling?), I agree that I would miss having a healer, I haven't tried the robot as a healer yet though.

It would make sense that you just get a side quest that allows you to pick up a new companion that or you are simply assigned a new companion by whoever you are reporting to in the game at this no clue who that is, however I could expect the dialoge to go like this:

You: blah blah blah it was a tarp!

Hologram: OMG lol that sucks, I mean how unfortunate but it seems that his usefulness had expired.

You: Yes, Master Hologram, in any case I will be needing a new Captain.

Hologram: Naturally, apprentice (lord/whatever), I have a someone in mind. Qalavi Muinn, a young and promising pilot. He's not the strategist you had at your disposal before but his loyalty is not to be questioned and his reflexes at the helm are near sith. I will arrange a meeting.

[quest update]

*Travel to Dromund Kas to meet with Qulavi Muinn*

*Later*

You: Officer.

Muinn (in formal uniform a man of english decent age:22+/-): Lord (pause as he salutes), Lord Hologram informed me of your arrival.

You: Did he brief you?

Muinn: No my lord, he was short and I dare not waste his time.

You: Very well Qalavi, I'll cut to the chase. You have been reassigned.

Muinn: Lord?

You: I need a pilot and rumor has it you are the one for the job.

Muinn: My duties are not finished here, lord.

You: They will be tended to. Now you are needed for more pressing matters. Are you ready to serve your Empire where you are needed most or not?

Muinn: Of course my Lord.

You: Docking bay, D-17, Fury Class.

Muinn: [slight smile] Fury class?

You: Can you handle it?

Muinn: Gladly my Lord.

You: See you on deck, and... you can drop the "Lord."

Problem solved. I will be waiting for my royalty check.

Let me know if you need a voice actor for the new companion, my is quite smooth.

Thank you for those notes, if I indeed lvl up a femme SW I will follow your example. But still sort of hoping that a convo will be added at some point that makes it feel better. It's the married thing that doesn't work for me. See, I just have this thing with trying to keep husbands that try to kill you to a absolute minimum, I guess it perhaps work story-wise out if there is a seriously good apology and something with him really trying to redeem himself. *sigh* He just lost too many wife-faction-points in this for me at least, even if he has a wonderful voice, (a little "begging to please don't end this" would not go amiss but then I'm a romantic sap so that's just me).

All of this is of course up to each player, how they feel that their SW would act afterwards. As far as my SW goes he better get started on those dailies: allowing Vette to pester him +10 Wife-Faction-Points ....

Edited by SilentKitty

• 2 months later...
I have to say, when Quinn later did something or other for me and made the comment, "I'm making up for a past indiscretion," I thought, "Let's just forget about that, Quinn; we'll pretend that it never happened. You see, if we assume that it actually did happen, there is no possible way I could explain how it is that you are not a mess of tiny pieces floating about in the coldest reaches of space. Probably my favorite thing to do is kill sniveling Imperial officers and have them replaced over the slightest hint of disrespect, and you would be no exception.

"After all, what use could you be to me if you had betrayed me? I wouldn't be able to trust you to make strategic plans, heal me, or hold a blaster behind me any more. If I instead left you on the ship, both it and my crew would always be endangered by you. The only way we could be having this conversation is if your 'indiscretion' never occurred, so you just keep following me around talking about how 'An opportunity is all you ask' until I see a dialog option with the tag <Brutally destroy Quinn permanently in a lengthy cinematic>, and then the subject may resurface."

I love you.

Babies?

I have to say, when Quinn later did something or other for me and made the comment, "I'm making up for a past indiscretion," I thought, "Let's just forget about that, Quinn; we'll pretend that it never happened. You see, if we assume that it actually did happen, there is no possible way I could explain how it is that you are not a mess of tiny pieces floating about in the coldest reaches of space. Probably my favorite thing to do is kill sniveling Imperial officers and have them replaced over the slightest hint of disrespect, and you would be no exception.

"After all, what use could you be to me if you had betrayed me? I wouldn't be able to trust you to make strategic plans, heal me, or hold a blaster behind me any more. If I instead left you on the ship, both it and my crew would always be endangered by you. The only way we could be having this conversation is if your 'indiscretion' never occurred, so you just keep following me around talking about how 'An opportunity is all you ask' until I see a dialog option with the tag <Brutally destroy Quinn permanently in a lengthy cinematic>, and then the subject may resurface."

I, too, would like to sign up for babies due to sudden love.

Actually I agree with 90% of the comments in this thread.

Anyway, I thought I would add an insight that Gnanika gave elsewhere:

I guess you can still run my ship and be privy to all my secret plots. Just call me Darth Moron.
http://www.swtor.com/de/community/showpost.php?p=3877922&postcount=37

Quinn's stupidity is astronomical. He thinks he can kill you with...two modified assault droids? After you took out all those Jedi, including the War Trust and numerous rivals and everything Baras threw at you?

Either kill him for his betrayal or kill him because his stupidity makes him useless to me.

Quinn's stupidity is astronomical. He thinks he can kill you with...two modified assault droids? After you took out all those Jedi, including the War Trust and numerous rivals and everything Baras threw at you?

Either kill him for his betrayal or kill him because his stupidity makes him useless to me.

That's not the fault of the character, it's the fault of the writer writing the character to do something incredibly stupid just to push the story the way it's already going (instead of re-writing the story so that the character isn't stupid). This happens constantly in pretty much every piece of US scriptwriting, characters are continually written as stupid just so the writers don't have to think of something new to give to the audience.

I doubt the story level difficulty of killing the droids matches the gameplay difficulty considering that the developers needed to be able to allow characters to be able to solo that particular fight. Also, keep in mind you get to beat Quinn's face in too during that fight. :D

2 droids supposedly programmed to predict and counter your every move and the guy who is supposed to be a deadly shot etc etc... Remember... we have plot armor...

That being said... My SW has decided that if ANYONE ever again tries to use her snuggle-bunny against her.. she's going to hunt them down and wish they had never been born. :mad:

Edited by Kalterien

This was just a poorly written scenario. I would have made more sense if there was some sort of coercion, brainwash, or torture that made him do it. Heck, they could have borrow tons of ideas from Hollywood's overused templates for movies. Come on, didn't any of you bump into several story lines that you said, oh my god, who wrote this? Without a doubt, this class story really needs a re-write.

But like you all, I'm not really giving him much attention, and I use him as a toy for pleasure and nothing more. Now I'm waiting for the same sex romance so I can go after a bigamist marriage with Vette and Jaesa. LOL Yeah right. :rolleyes:

He didn't want to kill you at all.

What choice did the guy have? A sith lord made him do it, he used puny droids to show he 'tried' so Barras didn't kill him. By attempting to set you up, he focused your rage back on Barras even more by getting to your companion.

A very clever tactic from a tactical mastermind, as detailed throughout the story line.

That's how i justify his continued existence at least. :D

He didn't want to kill you at all.

What choice did the guy have? A sith lord made him do it, he used puny droids to show he 'tried' so Barras didn't kill him. By attempting to set you up, he focused your rage back on Barras even more by getting to your companion.

A very clever tactic from a tactical mastermind, as detailed throughout the story line.

That's how i justify his continued existence at least. :D

And he couldn't have let me in on the gambit so we could set something up together and I would, I dunno, trust him? "Darling, you know how I'm always trying to get you to open up and tell me what's going on with you? THIS WAS ONE OF THE TIMES YOU SHOULD'VE TALKED ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS." *smack* "Next time try an honest heart-to-heart before resorting to lethal force. Yes that's an order."

Your theory is in fact the best I've heard to account for the ease of the fight.

Edited by bright_ephemera
rephrasing

And he couldn't have let me in on the gambit so we could set something up together and I would, I dunno, trust him? "Darling, you know how I'm always trying to get you to open up and tell me what's going on with you? THIS WAS ONE OF THE TIMES YOU SHOULD'VE TALKED ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS." *smack* "Next time try an honest heart-to-heart before resorting to lethal force. Yes that's an order."

Your theory is in fact the best I've heard to account for the ease of the fight.

Thank you!.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=383808&page=3

I had to do a lot of thinking as to why such an intelligent guy like Quinn would *do* something like that, after I played out the quest. Finally, it came to me. In the somewhat sad tradition of "suicide by cop," Quinn may well have been attempting "suicide by Sith." He knows you can kick his rear, he knows he owes Baras way, way too much to be able to just duck out on him, no matter how much he might want to. So when Baras orders him to kill you, the time he's spent with you and the admiration for you he's developed set the poor guy up into a no-win situation. From his point of view, he may well have thought that either he kills you, or Baras kills him for failing, or you kill him for trying to attack you and failing. He might have decided that you'd make his death a whole lot quicker than Baras would. Hence suicide by Sith.

Which would explain his obvious surprise at being allowed to live afterwards, regardless of whether or not you chose to punish him for the action. Granted this is indeed, as an earlier poster said, one of those times when it would have been really helpful if Quinn had just come to you and said something before choosing this course of action - but I've never seen Quinn as being all that open with his emotions (though as I play a male warrior, it may be different for the ladies, I don't know).

Granted this is indeed, as an earlier poster said, one of those times when it would have been really helpful if Quinn had just come to you and said something before choosing this course of action - but I've never seen Quinn as being all that open with his emotions (though as I play a male warrior, it may be different for the ladies, I don't know).

Ha! No. Here, let me spoil you on the entire emotional aspect of Quinn's romance line:

-- ACT 1 --

QUINN: Please go away. Please stop talking. Please go away.

-- ACT 2 --

QUINN: Please go away. Please stop talking. Please go away.

-- ACT 3 --

QUINN: You're trashing my productivity, my lord. *kiss* There, now I can get back to work.

-- later --

QUINN: Huh, maybe I have feelings after all. How about that. Let's bone!

WARRIOR, unspoken: I'm not sure that qualifies as -

QUINN, unspoken: Shut up.

-- later --

QUINN: I'm falling in love with you.

WARRIOR: Yeah, me too. (or some similarly silly line)

QUINN: Great. Let's table this discussion.

-- extremely romantic proposal --

QUINN: Let's get married and be awesome at our jobs together for years to come. Then I want children so they can also be awesome at their jobs.

-- correspondence --

QUINN: I'm happy at how awesome we are at our jobs. Also I like you more than I would like a desk job. (D'awww.) The end!

Any habit of mentioning stuff that bothers him? Nah. With both male and female Warriors he could really stand to work on the transparency/communication/teamwork thing. But hey, withholding his great plan from his immediate superior worked out great for him once already, right?

Edited by bright_ephemera