Race Options

Crazysithslayer

Why are the race options for Republic side very weak in comparison to the Empire. We have darth maul, sith purebloods, ratataki, chiss vs humans, toad face humans, and humans with ugly customizable and bland blindfolds. I actually want to roll a pub to offset my sorc and PT but I really hard it find which bland race I will be stuck looking at for the rest of my playtime.

Hmm? All the races in this game are different colored humans, some with an assortment of headthings.

Yes but all the Imperial ones are a lot more interesting. If the Republic got a race like Togruta which has some character to it.. I could see it being more balanced... however in the current state Empire has better classes, better races, better class story lines.. basically better everything.

Even looking at this from a newcomers perspective... not looking at classes or gameplay some people like to just look at the race options and will probably find the Imperial ones a lot cooler than the boring Republic ones that pretty much all look the same.

Edited by Crazysithslayer

Hmm? All the races in this game are different colored humans, some with an assortment of headthings.

What did you expect, a wookie? Ithorian? Its friggin Bioware, can you imagine how LAME the following video would be if you replace the character with a wookie?

What did you expect, a wookie? Ithorian? Its friggin Bioware, can you imagine how LAME the following video would be if you replace the character with a wookie?

Oh come off it. One of the companions on Imperial side is a togruta, and that character is a romance, so I think the old excuse of "we need humanoids to make sure animations work" doesn't always apply. If a Togruta can be a romanceable companion I don't see why they couldn't be made fully playable, with a little bit of work creating more textures for character creation options.

Oh come off it. One of the companions on Imperial side is a togruta, and that character is a romance, so I think the old excuse of "we need humanoids to make sure animations work" doesn't always apply. If a Togruta can be a romanceable companion I don't see why they couldn't be made fully playable, with a little bit of work creating more textures for character creation options.

You know a Togruta is in fact a humanoid, right?

You know a Togruta is in fact a humanoid, right?

And wookies aren't? Have you ever looked closely at the wookie model in SWTOR? Next time you see one, look at its hands.

It's a standard human body with fur meshes attached in place of armor.

Edited by marshalleck

Problem with new races is that the race has to one: Be humanoid, two: Speak basic, and three: have a mindset that can be shared within whatever class that race can be played as. You won't have a Togruta thats a tech expert or say a Mon Calamari whos evil. Its just not part of their normal mindset.

Now were did I ever say they weren't? Looking for an argument, you are. :csw_yoda:

If you don't want to discuss this why did you presume to tell me Togruta are humanoid? Obviously I am aware of this, given my earlier post detailing how extremely similar they are to playable characters in SWTOR (read: exactly the same, for purposes of animation).

But the justification Bioware have trotted out about the extremely limited options in character creation is that supposedly "alien" character's animations wouldn't work. At least in the case of Togruta I don't see how that's possibly a problem. See: Ashara Zavros.

Problem with new races is that the race has to one: Be humanoid, two: Speak basic, and three: have a mindset that can be shared within whatever class that race can be played as. You won't have a Togruta thats a tech expert or say a Mon Calamari whos evil. Its just not part of their normal mindset.

Togruta could be jedi. There are already multiple togruta jedi in the game. There is also a Mon Cal bounty hunter in either the Agent or BH opening story on Hutta whom quite aggressively picks a fight with the PC.

Togruta

Uses standard human body model

Speaks basic

Multiple instances of Togruta jedi class NPCs in the game

Mon Cal

Speaks basic

Multiple instances of Mon Cal tech class NPCs in the game

Would be awesome to see both of these added to Republic via the Legacy system. Might help balance out the population issue.

Edited by marshalleck

Well togruta are humanoids arent they? >_>

In any case, i think once they find a way to solve the twilek lekku + hoods problem (if they ever do :p) We might just see playable togruta, cathar, changrians nautolans etc. But people will still call them re-skinned humans. With horns. And cat ears. And tentacles instead of hair. People just like to complain now that i think about it :rolleyes:

Hmm you know any alien made by humans are going to be humanoid because lets face it, we don't know how to imagine really alien, aliens.

Eyes, arms legs, mouths, feet, toes, fingers, intestines, skin, blood, muscles. Human characteristics reshaped into tentacled, swirling masses of flesh mouths and sinew.

Enjoy your human aliens.... you filthy humans!

Indeed they are. I'm not the one saying they can't be playable; Bioware are the ones who gave the "you get humans because of animations!" thing.

Hey, considering how limited the hairstyles and other customization features we get for the available races im happy we have that many already. Just give it time, more will appear. Just because they use togruta models for a few npcs doesnt mean there are enough customizations options to make a playable race out of them. -Yet.

Edited by Zangaboing

Hmm you know any alien made by humans are going to be humanoid because lets face it, we don't know how to imagine really alien, aliens.

Eyes, arms legs, mouths, feet, toes, fingers, intestines, skin, blood, muscles. Human characteristics reshaped into tentacled, swirling masses of flesh mouths and sinew.

big stupid jellyfish

http://www.creaturespot.com/

Have fun... just hope you dont get nightmares. There are some weird drawings there sometimes :D

LOL

Edited by Zangaboing

Togruta could be jedi. There are already multiple togruta jedi in the game. There is also a Mon Cal bounty hunter in either the Agent or BH opening story on Hutta whom quite aggressively picks a fight with the PC.

Togruta

Speaks basic

Multiple instances of Togruta jedi class NPCs in the game

Mon Cal

Speaks basic

Multiple instances of Mon Cal tech class NPCs in the game

Would be awesome to see both of these added to Republic via the Legacy system. Might help balance out the population issue.

Their mind set is not similar to the standard mindset present in the classes. As much as I would like to see them I wouldn't be surprised that if they did, they would be restricted to a single class or not even be available to PCs.

To whom are you referring?

We already have playable races restricted to single classes or archetypes: sith can only be Sith Warriors or Inquisitors, for example. I don't see any problem with making Togruta available as Jedi Consulars and Knights, considering the game already has dozens of them. Same with Mon Cals for Smuggler--Guss Tuno being a prime example, amongst others.

Edited by marshalleck

I really think that Togrutas and Cathars are going to be future race additions for the republic, they are humanoids, there are companions of those races that can be romanced, there's already the model for male/female in the game (even different body types), and they would fit perfectly into the republic story.

I'm so sure about Cathars that I don't even know why they are already not a playable race from the beginning, there are Cathars Jedi (Ashara's master), Sith/Fallen Jedi (Juhani from KOTOR I), Trooper (Trooper's companion Jorgen), Bounty Hunter (BH questline), etc

Now for the empire I can't think of any other race that would fill the reqs for being a playable race in a Bioware game.