Why can't Ilum run like this?

Ashanor

This video was taken 5 months ago (hardware is better now), it was also being played in a different country than the servers, on an alpha client, and will have many more optimizations done to it before release. Why does this alpha client with superior models and textures handle mass amounts of players so much better than TOR? I mean to be fair, there is some slow down at 7:20 or so when everyone is spamming spells, but there has to be around 100-150 people standing in a very small space so that is to be expected.

This isn't meant as an insult or to start any kind of argument, I am simply curious as to why TOR can't run like this.

This video was taken 5 months ago (hardware is better now), it was also being played in a different country than the servers, on an alpha client, and will have many more optimizations done to it before release. Why does this alpha client with superior models and textures handle mass amounts of players so much better than TOR? I mean to be fair, there is some slow down at 7:20 or so when everyone is spamming spells, but there has to be around 100-150 people standing in a very small space so that is to be expected.

This isn't meant as an insult or to start any kind of argument, I am simply curious as to why TOR can't run like this.

A friend of mine has been bringing this game up VERY often in chat and while i personally hate the fantasy setting with a passion i cant not atleast read up on it. It looks like the swtor killer lol.

A friend of mine has been bringing this game up VERY often in chat and while i personally hate the fantasy setting with a passion i cant not atleast read up on it. It looks like the swtor killer lol.

Oh please don't call anything an anything killer. It's a term that brings my ears to remember nails on a chalkboard. I for one will be playing GW2. I've already closed my SWTOR sub because it's just too much of the same uninspired Grind. I hope GW2 will be able to live up to what it's showing, and by research it should come pretty close.

Thrilled by the aspect that the world isn't so static, and you can actually explore underwater.

Anyway, I hope SWTOR lives on for a good long while.

Oh please don't call anything an anything killer. It's a term that brings my ears to remember nails on a chalkboard. I for one will be playing GW2. I've already closed my SWTOR sub because it's just too much of the same uninspired Grind. I hope GW2 will be able to live up to what it's showing, and by research it should come pretty close.

Thrilled by the aspect that the world isn't so static, and you can actually explore underwater.

Ya, I definitely plan to pick up GW2 when it comes out. I already planned to play it as my side game while playing TOR long before TOR released but with everything they have said about the game lately and TORs lack of delivery I may just be playing GW2 as my main game.

ur leaving this for it. Not a killer but its gonna hit swtor numbers, whether or not its a big hit depends on HOW MANY MORE BAGS GIVE ME CENT TOKENS.

ur leaving this for it. Not a killer but its gonna hit swtor numbers, whether or not its a big hit depends on HOW MANY MORE BAGS GIVE ME CENT TOKENS.

I think it will definitely effect the more PvP oriented players who don't mind fantasy settings.

So does anyone with any technical experience have any idea why GW2 runs so much cleaner than TOR?

Well I did some datamining the other day.

Apparently the I/O processes affect the input/output extrapolation of the server clusters, essentially causing the single threaded -

Aww hell who am I kidding: SWTOR'S ENGINE IS ****!

That video makes me want to play that game so bad, I've seen some PvP for it an it looks so fun.

Also looks really competitive.

Better engine, better developers, better ideas, better systems, better game. A lot of people I know are just hanging around in SWTOR until Guild Wars 2 is released.

This game cannot come soon enough.

I haven't read anything about Guild Wars 2, because the first one was meh, so the video linked by the OP is the second thing I have seen about it, so excuse my ignorance.

That said, the OP's video makes it look like a complete WOW clone with improved graphics, right down to the Taurens. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I am just sick of WOW after 6 years...

I think GW2 will be really good. However lets remember there is no OWpvp in that game so lets hope ilum gets fixed for our hit of that. I will def play GW2 alongside tor but its free to play so its not going to 'kill' anything...then again no mmo release ever has killed another game (and why would we want them to?)

Engine/Graphics does not make a game. Remember AION, looked pretty good etc. but there was no content whatsoever... when GW2 does not have good content, then i dont care about the engine beeing good. we will see.

If GW2 is "free to play", is it going to be a big chatroom like the first one, with only 4-6 of your friends out in the real zones where the actual gameplay is, or is it going to micro-transaction me to death?

Both probably. My main worry about it is that it will become a troll paradise. Look at these forums. People are willing to pay a sub to troll a game what kind of scum and villainy are going to be attracted to troll a free to play game with the hype gw2 is getting? Its probably the reason arenanet does not have an official forum for guild wars 2 (good idea :))

LOl, by looking at that video i really was ***?! is that ****.

I love fantasy, but what that really looked boring, and what was up with the walking by red riding hood ? wasnt really walking/running .. was like she was jumpfloating waiting for the full setup of the 300matrix cameras to come and take a clip of her while jump/walk/run-floating or whatever it was called.

and the game lagged, even before she hit the big cluster, remember that is a highly tuned testing environment with probably most features turned off, and especially as they were demoing it at a game convention.

for me that video just put the nail in the coffin that i WONT be trying it out.

Visual aesthetic aside, even GW1's engne was well optimized and ran fluently on a wide range of systems while still looking fairly appealing.

On the other hand, there is no beginning describing the short-coming of the HERO engine. It fails in almost every regard as an MMO engine. In fact, I cannot think of a single redeeming feature.

GW2 is my hope too. Unfortunately ANet seems a little perfectionist about it and is taking their sweet time developing it.