The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

Funny thing is that the steps it takes to go from one planet to the next is actually realistic. Land your ship at space dock, go through a few levels on space dock to get to planet via shuttle.

Problem is that repetition gets very annoying after awhile and another sign that BW doesn't play its own game to realize this. I see no problem to offer an option to level 50s to land directly on a planet and by pass the whole planet space station altogether.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belsavis has the in game answer to fix travelling problems.

On Belsavis we have Rakata Teleporters, they teleport across the planet (if you are on the lvl 50 dailies)

When we finish Belsavis we should either get a Rakata Teleporter for our ship or be able to purchase a Rakata teleporter for our ship.

The Rakata teleporter would allow us when finished on a planet to contact a crew member and have them teleport us directly onto ship without having to backtrack the linear zone to return to the entrance to get off planet.

The Rakata Teleporters from Belsavis are the perfect answer to the problem, fit with in game lore and would solve transportation issues just like they do on Belsavis.

Belsavis the only planet where you don't have to use taxi's it's faster to use the teleporters.

So bioware could add quest on Belsavis make it a 2+ or 4+ heroic and reward is Rakata Ship Teleporter.

make it a cooldown ability of 1 or 2 hours.

easy peasy

sticks with in game lore and solves transportation problems all in 1 swoop.

The main issue is immersion vs. engagement.

If BW wants to keep subscriptions, they should be actively trying to keep players engaged and addicted in playing.

When I run through the empty station I am thinking about game design, and not about the next step on my hero's journey. The issue has caused me to log out earlier for the night than I would have otherwise, because I'm disengaged. Not the biggest deal, but the small things add up.

Running through areas to get to quests is engaging because there is stuff to do and variety (dangerous mobs, players, crafting nodes etc.) Obtaining a taxi point feels like an accomplishment for exploring, and using the taxi is a reward that has saved me time and still allows me to see the world around me.

Suggestions:

1. Take away orbital stations and change player spawn points accordingly.

2. Add content in the orbital stations that make them worthwhile places to visit, like quests, stores, services.

3. Add a bind point outside the ship's hangar. It is no different than any other bind point.

4. Let us use speeders on the space station. It is no different from using them on the fleet.

5. Change spawn locations to be more convenient. If there has to be an orbital station for server reasons, then let us respawn right outside the hangar instead of the far end.

Changing spawn locations/adding bind points wouldn't take the area away from the people who want to explore the area.

Do you really want me to copy&paste what I posted before taking your suggestion apart?

Sorry, I'll have to make you work for that... all it takes is to click on the < button a few times.

Well, I have to do that as I defend the 'elevator' button!

Again you've posted nothing about the speeder point to ship idea, except to say it has no flaws you can think of, which is nice. :)

There is no fix because there is no problem. You may be waiting a while...

Indeed as we have established there is no problem with my idea, but there is a problem with SWTOR main travel nexus. We agree so much! :)

If we're going to have an unavoidable load-time anyway, why not treat the load time and your travel time as the same thing?

I mean, I don't mind the journey... but if I'm going to take a journey, let me meet my friends first and take it together, y'know?

Exactly it is very possible, and fairly easy, to change things so the loading screens aren't in the middle of running. Which makes a big difference to the problem without actually changing too much in the game.

Scene 1: Luke flying through space.

Scene 2: Luke arrives at an empty orbital station.

Scene 3: Luke walks across the empty orbital station.

Scene 4: Luke takes an elevator down.

Scene 5: Luke walks across the hangar to a shuttle.

Scene 6: Shuttle arriving on planet.

Scene 7: Luke gets on a speeder, has a chat with yoda, goes back to the shuttle.

Scene 8: Shuttle takes off.

Scene 9: Luke arrives at an empty orbital station, shuttle hangar.

Scene 10: Luke walks across the empty shuttle hangar to an elevator.

Scene 11: Luke takes the elevator.

Scene 12: Luke walks across the empty orbital station.

Scene 13: Luke walks to a black door that represents his ship.

Scene 14: Ship flies away.

Personally, that doesn't look like the "important things in a space opera", but then I thought Jar-Jar was an annoying [censored].

You know Luke went all the way to that planet to watch Yoda die and he becomes one with the force so Luke can... see him... anywhere... he goes......... So Yoda couldn't just die and come chit chat with him as part of the force?

So sorry the same thing happens in the movies. Get over it.

Funny thing is that the steps it takes to go from one planet to the next is actually realistic. Land your ship at space dock, go through a few levels on space dock to get to planet via shuttle.

Have you ever traveled to another planet in real life? Is there loading screens when you get to a air lock?

You know Luke went all the way to that planet to watch Yoda die and he becomes one with the force so Luke can... see him... anywhere... he goes......... So Yoda couldn't just die and come chit chat with him as part of the force?

So sorry the same thing happens in the movies. Get over it.

Pretty sure there's not one single loading screen in any of the movies...... I might be wrong though. :eek:

The main issue is immersion vs. engagement.

If BW wants to keep subscriptions, they should be actively trying to keep players engaged and addicted in playing.

When I run through the empty station I am thinking about game design, and not about the next step on my hero's journey. The issue has caused me to log out earlier for the night than I would have otherwise, because I'm disengaged. Not the biggest deal, but the small things add up.

Running through areas to get to quests is engaging because there is stuff to do and variety (dangerous mobs, players, crafting nodes etc.) Obtaining a taxi point feels like an accomplishment for exploring, and using the taxi is a reward that has saved me time and still allows me to see the world around me.

Suggestions:

1. Take away orbital stations and change player spawn points accordingly.

2. Add content in the orbital stations that make them worthwhile places to visit, like quests, stores, services.

3. Add a bind point outside the ship's hangar. It is no different than any other bind point.

4. Let us use speeders on the space station. It is no different from using them on the fleet.

5. Change spawn locations to be more convenient. If there has to be an orbital station for server reasons, then let us respawn right outside the hangar instead of the far end.

Changing spawn locations/adding bind points wouldn't take the area away from the people who want to explore the area.

This is one of the smartest posts I've seen on a video game forum, period. The one thing you omitted/failed to mention however is how the problem of player disengagement is exacerbated by having to transition through loading screen after loading screen when transitioning between planets and their ships. And not all of Bioware's player base, myself included, is fortunate enough to possess SSDs to speed up the loading times to tolerable levels. Note this is a problem with flashpoints as well where a group wipe/player falling off a ledge is greeted with 2 consecutive loading screens as a reward.

So not only do players have to trudge through a lot of empty space (the airlocks and orbital stations) but they have to face the fact that they'll have the added time sink of dealing with at least 2 loading screens in the process of doing so (ship and destination planet) with the added bonus of not being able to utilize the player vehicles they've spend a large sum of in game credits for. It's a lose-lose-lose proposition as just like the poster I'm quoting I've ended quite a few play sessions early rather than have to go through the "added MMO fat" present in this game when it comes to area transition.

I dont have any problem at all with traveling between planets. I actually enjoy feels immmersive to me. Now I wouldn't complain if they added a quick travel to our ship. If I need to get somewhere quick I just use my 1 hour cd fleet pass you can buy from the security key vendor.

Except you DO see them all the time.

Except you don't.

Because in SWTOR a "planet" is more like a zone in EQ1.

Hardly. Jutland would be on-par with a zone in EQ, not the entirety of Tat.

But frankly even if there was a loading screen at every zone (in SWTOR), it would still be better than a plethora of artifact loading screens at the central travel nexus.

Odd how more loading screens is better than fewer loading screens... or in the case of SWTOR, usually the one inbetween planets.

So again where is the justification for this? And why wouldn't the fixes to this suggested be a good idea?

They no more have to justufy the travel from planet to planet as they need to justify the travel from quest giver to quest area.

And "fixes" assumes something is broken.

Holy crap!! All these pages of people arguing over travel times and I've noticed that there are 2 prevailing thoughts on the matter.

There are the people that want faster and/or less repetitive travel, and those who don't.

The answer is quite simple: Make travel faster.

Those who wish to take advantage of the faster travel, do so.

For those who don't, when you are ready to travel, let me know and I will come to your house and beat you with a stick for 4-6 minutes. When it's over you can then use the faster travel system and still retain the experience of the old travel method.

Thank you.

It has been repeated over and over again by folks against the current system that it is not about time.

So you really didn't read the thread, did you?

This is annoying sometimes when you are in a rush but it makes a sense of realism in the game.

I for one am absolutely overjoyed that this game doesnt have trolls or elfs or wizards or silly portals that take you places.

For ONCE this is finally something different. If you do not enjoy something different and want to be "hearthed" or however you spell it to where you want to go.. honestly.. go back to w/e let you do that and let the rest of us enjoy the game.

QQing on the forums gets you nothing except making you look like an:

1. Idiot

2. Idiot

3. you get the point... ;)

Pretty sure there's not one single loading screen in any of the movies...... I might be wrong though. :eek:

No, but we get commercials. Also depending on where you live the cinema house might do an intermission in the middle of your movie. Gotta love those third world countries. There's your load screen.