The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

i find the issue is not so simple.

in swtor, travelling is restricted on planet maps. distance of of places is irrelevent beside the 4-5 usual quest hubs on each planet. the high duration of traveling to one place is composed by the loading screen while traveling from alderan to crouscat or tatooine takes the same exact game time... no.. In wow if you took a flier lets say from darnassus to anq uiraj it would take you around 12-13 minitues on the flyer. traveling directly maybe and hour without a fast mount? it gave u sense of place and the illusion of travelling to far places.

In swtor places arent far... they're all the same... encourages the lines of "ok who cares"...

I think you've underscored the key problem. The actual 'travel', the part where you cross millions of miles, is instant (ie.. hyperdrive in space). To give a 'feeling of travel', Bioware has filled the pre and post part with a timesink of traversing hangars, elevators, stations and ship boarding.

So the sense of scale is lost, as people are going through paltry motions that are connected to the travel process. And people are sayng, as you said, "who cares".

If Bioware made the timesink part more engaging, then it may help the process. Currently walking empty, unpopulated corridors, and hearing an annoying droid, is probably not the best feat of design Bioware can lay claim to.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, we should support:

-teleporation to anywhere you want to go

-ability to instant level

-auto gear (no need to run an instance, just select the drops you want)

-anything that takes time

This idea/claim that people don't have time to play so X should be changed is silly. If you don't have time to play, don't play.

blind fanboyism, you can't even see the problem with having to go throu 3 loading screens to get into your ship to fly to another planet where you will have 3 more

I bet sitting on your Gluteus Maximus and getting ported to your destination would look like a superior solution, bundled together with all the other suggestions in a similar vein, based on a strong urge to avoid any initiative whatsoever. Massively Automated Games, here we come.

Why do anything that involves movement or time, when it could be magically instant? Blink, blink, blink, through the void, with a wizard staff and a world to avoid.

---

Ugh. Like EQ1 where you had to run on foot almost everywhere until you could afford a horse... and even then if you wanted to go to a different continent you had to wait for the boat for like 10 mins (unless you got lucky), then actually ride the boat across the ocean(more or less)... it took years to travel before they added the whole Nexus thing... I never minded it much though, made it more immersive even if it wasn't 100% necessary.

Not that I necessarily want that style travel again, but kids these days are spoiled and don't even realize it. I would rather have some travel than just open the map, click a location and be there instantly... that's just not fun.

P.S. And someone mentioned EVE... that game is just one big punishment that people pay to experience... I don't get it... I seriously felt like I was getting kicked in the groin every time I logged on. This game is a picnic...

I never got into EQ but if the boat travel was anything like it was in WoW, you actually got to interact with other players. Especially on a PvP server.

In EVE, while traveling was slow and tedious, the danger of being attacked was also there which added to the excitement. I always used to get a bit jittery when approaching a gate in EVE, especially in low sec space.

Interplanetary travel in SWTOR is a solo, uneventful run through a bunch of instances.

Edited by krookie

blind fanboyism, you can't even see the problem with having to go throu 3 loading screens to get into your ship to fly to another planet where you will have 3 more

Is this where you move the goal posts (the time it takes) because your "point" is so flimsy it is easily dismissed?

I'd rather save 5 minutes of travel time even if it means I have to click on two elevator controls or airlocks.

But hey some folks claim that a travel system you can AFK out and make a sandwich is better than actually playing the game.

Is this where you move the goal posts (the time it takes) because your "point" is so flimsy it is easily dismissed?

I'd rather save 5 minutes of travel time even if it means I have to click on two elevator controls or airlocks.

But hey some folks claim that a travel system you can AFK out and make a sandwich is better than actually playing the game.

Says the guy who equated people wanting travel to be better to:

Actually, go back and read. I was pointing out the faulty logic of "people don't have much time to play therefore travel needs to be sped up".

Good try I guess.

Are you saying that you prefer the 10, 15, 20 min travelling trips in fantasy games or are you longing for click portals so you can go everywhere without ever going anywhere...

Are you like hooked to a catheter or something while you play? Adult diapers maybe? Yes, I prefer longer travel times in exchange for the ability to AFK during them.

I would personally be fine if they removed the unecessary BLACK screens which are just there as a time-sink and audio, removed the air/tunnel things AND MADE THE LOADING SREENS IN THIS GAME ACCEPTABLE instead of the current 50+ second(on a SSD) ones for most planets after coruscant/Dromund Kaas

Edited by Fentz

I just don't get what exactly people want from the travel system... I like the system the way it is, I wish I could just hop in my ship and fly where I wanted though, like through space, by myself... random encounters, etc... but w/e... I'll take what I can get, I never played Galaxies and this is the best I'm gonna get for a Star Wars MMO...

Are you like hooked to a catheter or something while you play? Adult diapers maybe? Yes, I prefer longer travel times in exchange for the ability to AFK during them.

So in other MMOs you only take a break when on a boringly long griffin ride?

Man, if travel in this game was was unbearable because of the "wasting time", you've probably never played any other MMOs...

(Looks at the games on his system)

Hmm.

No, I think I can safely say that I have played rather a great many MMOs, and still play rather a great many. I've been playing them for a long, long time.

But SWTOR has managed to create a travel system that is on such a soul-sucking level that it actually annoys me existentially.

Okay, maybe not that bad. But it is quite possibly the worst I've seen in a long, long time. And that includes the 45 minutes I spent traveling from one place to another in Eve. At least Eve is pretty.

I know what a time sink is. But the travel in ToR is just tedious and annoying.

I just don't get what exactly people want from the travel system... I like the system the way it is, I wish I could just hop in my ship and fly where I wanted though, like through space, by myself... random encounters, etc... but w/e... I'll take what I can get, I never played Galaxies and this is the best I'm gonna get for a Star Wars MMO...

I agree!

Uhh..

How else, exactly, are you going to get to another planet?

:rolleyes:

I'd rather walk, or hop from asteroid to asteroid...

nothing about the current system is MMo friendly.

You never see anyone but yourself. There's no interaction with anything. Just an empty vacuous space that serves no purpose. I can't even call it immersive. It's far more annoying than it is immersive. Maybe throw a couple badguys in the airlock. Anything would be a welcome change. How you can defend having a loading screen take you to a empty hallway to run through, simply to get to another loading screen is absolutely ridiculous.

On FFXI, the boat ride would take 15 mins... sure it may seem like a long time to some... but heck, there were other people on the boat to talk to, you could fish. Even the odd monster would show up on the boat. That to me is immersion and MMO-friendly. And the ride takes you to a seemingly far-away land and the scenery was always nice.

I can't defend this travel system in any way at all. I honestly lose track there are other people playing this game at the same time as me.

Personally, I think that you should just zone into your ship when you click on that elevator button.

There are some story elements in the hangars so in that case the game should load you into the hangar.

(Looks at the games on his system)

Hmm.

No, I think I can safely say that I have played rather a great many MMOs, and still play rather a great many. I've been playing them for a long, long time.

But SWTOR has managed to create a travel system that is on such a soul-sucking level that it actually annoys me existentially.

Okay, maybe not that bad. But it is quite possibly the worst I've seen in a long, long time. And that includes the 45 minutes I spent traveling from one place to another in Eve. At least Eve is pretty.

I know what a time sink is. But the travel in ToR is just tedious and annoying.

So, we can conclude that your complaint about the time it takes to travel in SWTOR was at best dishonest? SWTOR travel is one of the faster ones in the MMO genre.

Yeah, so to prove your point you used a bunch of strawman arguments. You aren't very good at this.

I don't think you know what "strawman" means. If one argues that time is a main reason to change travel (people not having time to play and all) what about the other aspects of the game that take time?

So in other MMOs you only take a break when on a boringly long griffin ride?

Given a choice between two boring processes, one of which requires me to sit and watch the whole boring process, and the other of which allows me to do something else while the boring process plays out, I will always choose being able to AFK through the boring process. TOR's process is just as boring as any other game, but it's the only game that forces you to be there throughout the process.

Edited by Mannic