The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story?

chakkar

Story done. I'm not into alts. What now?

Unsub till they continue the story?

Has anyone heard when they are going to continue the story?

Has anyone even heard if the story will carry on?

If the story if the thing then why did it end?

1. Datacron collecting/Matrix shard hunting/Cube construction

2. Hard Mode Flashpoints/Operations

3. Dailies

4. Helping Guildies/Friends

They've already begun working on the next content patch, a new planet is even in the works. If I recall correctly, they started hiring voice talent for the new content around the time the game released. The story will continue.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest weakness of the game is its endgame content. No one's disputing that; it's widely known and agreed upon. Keep in mind the game has only been out for two months, and there will be expansion upon it. Even WoW upon its inception only had 2 (3?) raids available.

Are you fully geared? Do you have the best PvP gear available? Have you completed all the flashpoints/heroic missions/etc? If not, there's still things for you to do on your first ever character.

I'm not an altaholic either, but the game's brand new, and these are the types of things you're going to run into. You need to accept the reality of it.

How do any of those play into the story?

@OP

Because its not a 'great' story. Its a reasonably engaging story as far as class story is concerned (which is undermined by the little in terms of substantial long term consequences by your actions because of the need to balance out expansions to the story) and pretty god damn tiring as far as the generic quests are which make up about 90% of the game. A good story has consistency and build up. Something that is lacking in most areas of the game. And a fair few of the class stories are hit and miss.

How do any of those play into the story?

Seeing as your post dismissed the story when leveling ("I'm not an altaholic"), I don't see any reason for it to be a central argument in mine.

And if expansions don't play into the story, what do they do?

Edited by WeenisMcGee

This is one of the best MMO's I have ever played. So much precious time and detail went into this, and it angers me to see lame-brains complain about how they don't like it for whatever reason. If you don't like it then why are you still here? I've played the Sith Warrior so far and can't get enough. Great job Bioware! And keep it coming!

Hehe, the hate is strong in this one :D. Yes yes, more ad hominem attacks because i care when a random internet guy makes fun of me :) and it does actually. the story is the only thing that swtor got going for them, and ithey could've just made a single player KOTR 3 instead of an MMO. Why make it an MMO if it doesn't play like an MMO? Anyway, I am done here. Constructive criticism are lost on these forums, so I'll just go back to doing feedbacks in-game XD

If you didn't care you wouldn't be here telling me much you don't care. The effect of apathy is greatly diminished the more effort you put in, to display it.

You keep me posted, as to when you finally decide to say something constructive.

EDIT: Actually, don't do that.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

I personally enjoy the stories, which makes each class not having to do exactly the same quests.

Some stories seem much better than others. Smuggler and Bounty Hunter are so far my favorites. But I fail to see how someone will dislike them.

3. Dailies

They've already begun working on the next content patch, a new planet is even in the works. If I recall correctly, they started hiring voice talent for the new content around the time the game released. The story will continue.

Story, what do any of those have to do with the story?

Nothing you listed has any interest other than dailies for cash to play the RNG crafting game.

Seeing as your post dismissed the story when leveling ("I'm not an altaholic"), I don't see any reason for it to be a central argument in mine.

I'm done the story. How did I dismiss it? And I asked why did it end if the story is the selling point of this game?

Seems to me that you have no argument.

Is the story Pulitzer prize winning? No. Is it enjoyable and better than any mmorpg on the market? In my opinion, yes.

So far, despite the bugs and missing amenities, this is THE most enjoyable mmorpg I've ever played, and I've played a little over 20.

I'm done the story. How did I dismiss it? And I asked why did it end if the story is the selling point of this game?

Seems to me that you have no argument.

Endgame in any game, not just MMOs, tend to not advance the story much. Why is this a surprise to you?

That's what expansions and patches are for - one that they're already working on, as has been mentioned.

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

don't let the forums fool you. A very small percentage of the playerbase even knows where these forums are, let alone posts on them. The game is thriving and most people seem to love the story.

True roleplaying, is up to the player. The "opportunity" begins, as soon as two players can communicate with each other.

However, Bioware is doing what it can, with limited technology, to go further than any other mmorpg developer has attempted.

If you expect the same level of interaction that a GM/players situation can provide you may as well give up now. But Bioware is at least attempting to do what it can to get as close to that experience as possible, while supplimenting actual player/player RP. Yeah it's their story, however it's still one you can modify.

KOTOR and ME didn't change the story, you still ended up in the same places, fighting the same enemies, you just took branching paths, just like this game. All of their single player games are "their story" too.

Here's a question, why the **** are you still here, paying a sub for genre of game you clearly hate, and clearly have hated for quite some time? Why aren't you offline playing any of those games? Could it be that, as single player games they've lost replay value?

Where have I expressed that I "hate" MMOs?

You talk about roleplaying being up to the player...which is exactly right. But where in TOR is the opportunity for that? The story is given to you. You watch it unfold in front of you with very little control over it (especially compared to true RPGs like ME and KoTOR). Emphasis isn't placed on giving players the opportunity to "role-play". The only thing that progresses your character in this game is repeated slayer/fetch quests, which by the end of the game have NO story.

Limited technology? Have you played SWG? A nearly 10 year old MMO which truly allowed players to do what you describe as "role-playing". Players could build their own communities by constructing their own towns, buildings, and starships. Participate in a galaxy wide PvP war where your victories and failures actually effected the game worlds. There was even a system that allowed players to create their own quests for other players to complete and receive rewards and experience. You didn't have to fight a SINGLE MOB in the game to level up, either. In a game like SWG, people made their own stories because they had the opportunity to do that. They weren't being shuttled down a narrow tunnel like sheep.

Where is any of this in TOR? Every thing is static. Everything is a prop. The most community building you can do is form a guild and chat in your own little chatroom. PvP is NOTHING compared to SWG or DAoC or WAR (three games which were all developed by people who currently work with BW Austin). You don't fight a war in TOR. You grind endless warzones to get a random chance to get PvP gear. Or you exploit a waste of space PvP zone which was never tested once in 6 years of development. Go look on the PvP forum and see all the amazing suggestions paying customers are giving BW to make PvP as meaningful as it was in the MMOs these developers created in the past. Those ideas are what an MMO should be.

By your own definition, an MMO isn't anything like AO, Asheron's Call, Lineage, DAoC, SWG, etc. But could simply be KoTOR with a chatroom and the ability for your best friend to watch your class story and not be able to participate in at all.

And to the OP who listed space combat as a great feature...what is so massively multiplayer about a single player minigame?

I believe, the problem with players hating on the voice-acting, is because the audience for Star Wars: TOR is younger on the average, than they were for Dragon Age or Mass Effect.

Now, yes, Star Wars is an MMO, and DA & ME are single player games. So, what would this have to do with anything?

Well, DA & ME were created for a more mature audience (hence their adult rating, rated M for Mature here in Canada, ages 17 and up). Now, while people under 17 have played them, not as many did as those over the age of 17. They are adult games, with involved storylines, the kind of thing we adults enjoy. Yes, some younger people do as well, but the majority of you players under the age of 17 are looking for instant action and challenge, not deeply-involved storylines.

Bioware took a great idea, creating storylines with voice acting and choices in DA & ME, and tried to apply it to a game rated for a younger audience. Its too bad the majority of that younger audience cares more about PvP and gearing, PvE is just a way for them to get lvl 50 and PvP/Raid their brains out.

They should have stuck to their formula, creating mature games for a mature audience has worked very well for them. As much as I like Star Wars and Bioware, they will continue to be hated on by the younger audience whose only concern is getting their fat lewtz, and getting them NOW!

..........*stares*...

I'm sure there are tons of cold cases out there, just waiting to be solved by a keen deductive mind such as yours. An mmorpg forum is a clear waste of such talent.

haha, your posts crack me up man. :D

agree with most of what you say.

Story, what do any of those have to do with the story?

Nothing you listed has any interest other than dailies for cash to play the RNG crafting game.

If you pay attention when you pick up Datacrons, you realize that they exist for a reason, they are information collections of the Infinite Empire, and each one provides background history of the game world. (located in your achievements)

Each one has a story based introduction complete wit conversations, many have moral choices as well.

3. Dailies

Just like any other quest, minor story. Only repeatable.

Allows you to experience their stories too, without rerolling.

The point was, someone asked what to do at end game. I told them. I even just now provided story presentation in each.

Where have I expressed that I "hate" MMOs?

You talk about roleplaying being up to the player...which is exactly right. But where in TOR is the opportunity for that? The story is given to you. You watch it unfold in front of you with very little control over it (especially compared to true RPGs like ME and KoTOR). Emphasis isn't placed on giving players the opportunity to "role-play". The only thing that progresses your character in this game is repeated slayer/fetch quests, which by the end of the game have NO story.

Limited technology? Have you played SWG? A nearly 10 year old MMO which truly allowed players to do what you describe as "role-playing". Players could build their own communities by constructing their own towns, buildings, and starships. Participate in a galaxy wide PvP war where your victories and failures actually effected the game worlds. There was even a system that allowed players to create their own quests for other players to complete and receive rewards and experience. You didn't have to fight a SINGLE MOB in the game to level up, either. In a game like SWG, people made their own stories because they had the opportunity to do that. They weren't being shuttled down a narrow tunnel like sheep.

Where is any of this in TOR? Every thing is static. Everything is a prop. The most community building you can do is form a guild and chat in your own little chatroom. PvP is NOTHING compared to SWG or DAoC or WAR (three games which were all developed by people who currently work with BW Austin). You don't fight a war in TOR. You grind endless warzones to get a random chance to get PvP gear. Or you exploit a waste of space PvP zone which was never tested once in 6 years of development. Go look on the PvP forum and see all the amazing suggestions paying customers are giving BW to make PvP as meaningful as it was in the MMOs these developers created in the past. Those ideas are what an MMO should be.

By your own definition, an MMO isn't anything like AO, Asheron's Call, Lineage, DAoC, SWG, etc. But could simply be KoTOR with a chatroom and the ability for your best friend to watch your class story and not be able to participate in at all.

And to the OP who listed space combat as a great feature...what is so massively multiplayer about a single player minigame?

Because your complaints here apply to the entire genre. You ignore everything that sets this game apart and instead complain about what is fairly standard in every mmorpg. As if you expected SWTOR to completely reinvent the wheel, when so many other genres of game have gotten away with virtually zero evolution.

Yes I have played SWG. You missed my point entirely. I'm talking about conversation, choices that change the game, etc. That's all coding. You can only include so many choices and so many diverging paths. Until we can create perfect A.I.s to react to any response, the tech is limited.

By definition, an mmorpg is a persistent world, accessed by a large number of players. Nothing about what I said, rules out any of the games you mention, and I consider all of them mmorpgs. I just consider them to be terrible at representing the RPG part.

Also the Space Combat was added late in the development cycle and the developers are already working on expanding it. (with multiplayer being an example.) why does every activity need to involve a **** ton of people to be in an mmorpg.

Edited by Fiachsidhe

If you pay attention when you pick up Datacrons, you realize that they exist for a reason, they are information collections of the Infinite Empire, and each one provides background history of the game world. (located in your achievements)

Each one has a story based introduction complete wit conversations, many have moral choices as well.

3. Dailies

Just like any other quest, minor story. Only repeatable.

Allows you to experience their stories too, without rerolling.

The point was, someone asked what to do at end game. I told them. I even just now provided story presentation in each.

Indeed, even if not an altaholic, there is plenty of story to gain by progressing through each companion's affection levels, or completing quests left behind on varying planets.

In addition, to declare that there is no further storyline progression while implying you ignore alts in a game where the majority of the story is focused on leveling is like playing a heavy RPG, ignoring side-quests and complaining that it's too short.

you're kidding right? Ive just been doing some quests on Correllia for Darth Decimus, and actually seeing and hearing him adds an entirely new level to the game. There is a lot more context for what I am doing and why.

I just can't understand your way of thinking. Maybe you should go back to text based games.

I said the story was great, what is hard for you to understand?

The meaningless pulp voice acting surrounding the ancillary quest to kill 10 rats are pointless.

I said the story was great, what is hard for you to understand?

The meaningless pulp voice acting surrounding the ancillary quest to kill 10 rats are pointless.

Not if you appreciate the cinematic flair. Why see a movie then, if a book is usually better? Why add sound to anything when you can just read it? Why sing when you read the lyrics?

I enjoy the voices, and frankly going back to silent characters is unappealing to me. This game has actually spoiled me on it.

why does every activity need to involve a **** ton of people to be in an mmorpg.

Because that's what sets MMOs a part from every other game. Massive space battles with other real players as seen in the movies would be something you can't experience anywhere else. That is the type of content and service that justifies $15 a month. Not something you offer to a lesser degree than what you already offer in your single player games that don't require a monthly fee.

Because that's what sets MMOs a part from every other game. Massive space battles with other real players as seen in the movies would be something you can't experience anywhere else. That is the type of content and service that justifies $15 a month. Not something you offer to a lesser degree than what you already offer in your single player games that don't require a monthly fee.

while I level in other games, like Rift, I was alone. Sure, I would see other players about sometime but I was solo. In Most MMO's there are things you do alone, such as quests and exploration, and some things you go in a group. You DO NOT constantly need to be around people and grouped with them for a game to qualify as an mmo,