The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story?

chakkar

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story is great. Narrated quest text not so special.

you're kidding right? Ive just been doing some quests on Correllia for Darth Decimus, and actually seeing and hearing him adds an entirely new level to the game. There is a lot more context for what I am doing and why.

I just can't understand your way of thinking. Maybe you should go back to text based games.

Can you elaborate on the "little freedom" and "forge your own story" parts of your complaints please.

I can go where I want to go, the same as I have in other MMO's. There is no lack of freedom for me. As far as forging your own identitiy, are you saying that because you do the same story as everyone else in your class, you somehow don't feel unique?

I do the same stuff I did in other MMO's. I do Instanced dungeons, Raids and gather up ppl to go look for ppl of the oppsing faction. SAME AS I DID IN OTHER MMO's. There is noting lacking here. The game is not on rails.

How is PVP poorly implemented? I fight players of the opposing faction, I die, or they die. SAME AS OTHER MMO"S.

DONT LIKE THE GAME, LEAVE.

I'm still playing, and having fun (although I had to reroll on a higher pop server to feel like I was playing an MMO - there are some dead and dying servers out there), so I don't plan on leaving just yet.

That being said, there IS less freedom here than other MMOs (not ALL others, but some). There's only 1 questing path to max level, and it's about 75% or so identical for EVERY character on a faction.

But that's just the nature of any static world, which TOR is set in.

None of our choices ultimately matter, and none of the questing matters once you're at 50. It's been the same in pretty much every other MMO for years, and it's no different here.

The quests here, IMO, while being MUCH better done than any other MMO I've ever played, aren't any more important, beyond the fun you have doing them. No decision you made along the way matters once you're 50, except if you're Light or Dark (the only real "faction" you can grind in the game).

I'm not at all saying the story is bad, but that it's ultimately unimportant (the single player leveling up story) once you're 50. No decision I made on my 50 juggernaut can be accounted for in group or op stuff, because I might be grouped with another 50 juggernaut who made the exact opposite choices, so how can a group quest be crafted around one result or another?

Sure, those decisions can carry over to an expansion, but that will again be the solo class quests.

It's like decisions in Mass Effect 1 and 2 - none of them can be big (except the ONE big decision that you have to make, that Bioware planned for - I won't spoil it) because Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 have to start at some sort of base, and they don't want to make content that may or may not be seen because of decisions. Most of the ME 1 decisions are reflected in ME 2 by a line or 2 of dialogue, and that's it.

It's much the same here. How would you carry the story over to ops if, for example, your Ops group had a light side and dark side version each of Warrior, Inquisitor, Agent and Bounty Hunter? You really can't, and have it make any sense.

If i wanted story only, id read a book. Unfortunately, this is a game not a book, and if there are large holes in gameplay and features, then this isnt a fun game, regardless of how great the story is.

Pretty simple really.

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

You sure do have a lot of opinions. It's a funny thing about opinions, everyone has one and they all smell.

I don't play consoles and I don't play FPS, yet really I could care less now about any stories. I guess that makes me a bad person but I want to enjoy a game that I am paying for my way, amirite?

I love the story, the story drives the game, not crafting, not pvp, not expiring grinding or building my own house.

Story is why I play this game.

This.

I'm tired of seeing threads about "Why did Bioware waste money on VO", "Focus on story lead to bad endgame", "You can read faster than you can hear VO's, its superfluous"

To this day I still dont understand why people buy a product in a market with ALOT of diversity, dont enjoy it, but continues to play despite there being games that they would rather play.

I honestly cant say this enough to you people, but you might be playing the wrong game.

You sure do have a lot of opinions. It's a funny thing about opinions, everyone has one and they all smell.

I don't play consoles and I don't play FPS, yet really I could care less now about any stories. I guess that makes me a bad person but I want to enjoy a game that I am paying for my way, amirite?

Actually, you are absolutely right. So why are you playing this game if you arent enjoying it.

I played Elder Scrolls for a while. The last two. I found the gameplay to be fantastic, but the lack of compelling characters and an intriguing story did not keep me playing. I do not play them anymore.

Should I be complaining in the Bethesda forums about the Elder Scrolls lack of compelling story?

Edited by Lord_of_Stone

YOu've been around since 2008. You knew this was a "story driven MMO". You have no room to complain.

Look at my join date. You can watch someone else' story or create your own. A dialogue wheel does NOT equal "good story". Its a cosmetic replacement for game play.

And a tad bit more on the "story"......

Have you ever read a classic novel? Or how about someone who just writes exceptionally well...i.e. Christopher Hitchens?

If you're going to advertise a game for its "great story" make sure you have "great writers".

Standing around exchanging a dialogue for 30 seconds is NOT a "great story".

That kind of story has no depth, character development, story archs, etc.

This is worse than a WB show....for clarification.....

The WB is to good stories like crunch berries are to fruit.

Look at my join date. You can watch someone else' story or create your own. A dialogue wheel does NOT equal "good story". Its a cosmetic replacement for game play.

And a tad bit more on the "story"......

Have you ever read a classic novel? Or how about someone who just writes exceptionally well...i.e. Christopher Hitchens?

If you're going to advertise a game for its "great story" make sure you have "great writers".

Standing around exchanging a dialogue for 30 seconds is NOT a "great story".

That kind of story has no depth, character development, story archs, etc.

This is worse than a WB show....for clarification.....

The WB is to good stories like crunch berries are to fruit.

I've read numerous books, and still do. Your point?

Your trying to insinuate I don't know what a "good" story is, yeah? This is a good interactive story, actually its more like a narrative with some choices. Is it "tale of two cities" good. No, but what is these days? I'm sure Bioware does have quality writers on staff, one being Drew K. I love reading his Star Wars Novels. "Deceived" was really well written and entertaining.

These writers are writing within the constraints of a video game. What people fail to consider, is that they have to write with the lowest common denominator among us in mind. There are children playing this game as well. Can't go to deep or they'll be like "uh". They had to balance between their audiences. I believe they did a real good job of it. I loved the Bounty Hunter story. Was it deep? No, was it entertaining and engaging? Yes.

The STORY, along with the voice acting and great cutscenes really do add another layer of context to the game. I am more invested in what I am doing and why I am doing it. THis goes for alot of the side quests as well. I've played some really great ones. One that comes to mind is "battle for Corellia" on the empire side. The characters in that quest were well fleshed out and their motivations were expressed. Great series of quests, if you get a chance check them out.

You think you can do a better job? Apply at BioWare.

Edited by chakkar

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

I'll be waiting for Mass Effect 3 for a good story.

For my $15 a month, I want a dynamic and interactive virtual world full of many activities in which to socialize with other human players. That is the definition of "MMO".

I'll be waiting for Mass Effect 3 for a good story.

For my $15 a month, I want a dynamic and interactive virtual world full of many activities in which to socialize with other human players. That is the definition of "MMO".

How do you not have any of that in TOR?

Whats missing? Be specific.

How do you not have any of that in TOR?

Whats missing? Be specific.

Interactive and dynamic world- what is interactive and dynamic about TOR's world? Other than kill thousands of mobs, what can you do? You can't interact with any of the props you see. Can't play the pazaak, chess, dajarrik tables. Can't interact with the tons of gambling machines on Nar Shadda. Nothing to do in cantinas. Your ship have maybe 3 objects you can interact with. Do I need to go on? Have you played other MMOs before? Ever got to try the player music systems in SWG or LoTRO? Ever got to try the fun festival like activities in WoW or LoTRO? Ever got to entertain another player or give them unique character customization options in SWG? Ever win a horse race in LoTRO? Ever got to man another players ship turret in SWG, or perform repairs on their ship while in battle? Ever gone fishing? Ever dyed a custom set of armor you put together yourself? Need I go on?

What is dynamic? There is always groups of mobs standing around waiting for you to come destroy them. NPCs always have pre-scripted actions and dialogue. These are not worlds. They're static hubs which have no reason to exist outside the dialogue you can only do so many times before not caring. From 1-50, you will never do anything more than kill something or click on a glowing blue object. Have you experienced rifts and invasions in Rift? Hot spots in WAR? Dev run monster attacks in LoTRO or the skirmishes which literally have thousands of random events, mob encounters, quests built into them? World PvP that actually meant something in SWG? Enjoyed any of the unique quest activities added to WoW with Catacalysm that involved more than mass murder and gathering things? Need I go on?

Edited by LaManoNera

I've read numerous books, and still do. Your point?

Your trying to insinuate I don't know what a "good" story is, yeah? This is a good interactive story, actually its more like a narrative with some choices. Is it "tale of two cities" good. No, but what is these days? I'm sure Bioware does have quality writers on staff, one being Drew K. I love reading his Star Wars Novels. "Deceived" was really well written and entertaining.

These writers are writing within the constraints of a video game. What people fail to consider, is that they have to write with the lowest common denominator among us in mind. There are children playing this game as well. Can't go to deep or they'll be like "uh". They had to balance between their audiences. I believe they did a real good job of it. I loved the Bounty Hunter story. Was it deep? No, was it entertaining and engaging? Yes.

The STORY, along with the voice acting and great cutscenes really do add another layer of context to the game. I am more invested in what I am doing and why I am doing it. THis goes for alot of the side quests as well. I've played some really great ones. One that comes to mind is "battle for Corellia" on the empire side. The characters in that quest were well fleshed out and their motivations were expressed. Great series of quests, if you get a chance check them out.

You think you can do a better job? Apply at BioWare.

1. I know i could do a better job

2. Dont advertise a "story" if its not a good one.

3. You used entertaining. Now you get subjective. Watching a fat person fall down stairs is entertaining however i dont need a writer to tell that story.

Interactive and dynamic world- what is interactive and dynamic about TOR's world? Other than kill thousands of mobs, what can you do? You can't interact with any of the props you see. Can't play the pazaak, chess, dajarrik tables. Can't interact with the tons of gambling machines on Nar Shadda. Nothing to do in cantinas. Your ship have maybe 3 objects you can interact with. Do I need to go on? Have you played other MMOs before? Ever got to try the player music systems in SWG or LoTRO? Ever got to try the fun festival like activities in WoW or LoTRO? Ever got to entertain another player or give them unique character customization options in SWG? Ever win a horse race in LoTRO? Ever got to man another players ship turret in SWG, or perform repairs on their ship while in battle? Ever gone fishing? Ever dyed a custom set of armor you put together yourself? Need I go on?

What is dynamic? There is always groups of mobs standing around waiting for you to come destroy them. NPCs always have pre-scripted actions and dialogue. These are not worlds. They're static hubs which have no reason to exist outside the dialogue you can only do so many times before not caring. From 1-50, you will never do anything more than kill something or click on a glowing blue object. Have you experienced rifts and invasions in Rift? Hot spots in WAR? Dev run monster attacks in LoTRO or the skirmishes which literally have thousands of random events, mob encounters, quests built into them? World PvP that actually meant something in SWG? Enjoyed any of the unique quest activities added to WoW with Catacalysm that involved more than mass murder and gathering things? Need I go on?

Other than kill thousands of Mobs….what can you do? You can find Datacrons ( I know its not fun), you can explore and find rare mobs, you can run operations, you can do war zones. THe game was just released, you can't expect it to have everything.

WHile you're right you can't interact with most things, I'm sure they'll be making mini games for future releases. I don't understand why its not there now, but meh. Its not really that important. How much time did you spend fishing is SWG?

Bioware said that they were working on space, I don't know what that means, but it can only get better, although I like it now. Its entertaining for what it is. Were you expecting SWG's space game? The game where hardly anyone went to space after the first few months? You want fun festivals like in WOW? Did WOW have these fun festivals during the first few months of the game? I don't think so…

Your mad because you can't horse race "like in LOTRO". Like I said, I am sure they are going to be putting in mini games in the future, they would be stupid not to.

In all the MMO's Ive played, each of them had mobs which just stood around waiting for you to engage them. EVERY ONE. In Rifts the invasions were very cool at the beginning….then after 4 months or so you could barely get anyone to do them, and the defiant wold always bank people killing the invasion instead of "doing" the invasion. Rift server wide events were cool…when you could play them. There was way too much lag in the world events. Every rift I walk by now days is empty, who does rifts anymore?

The game was just released. You sound like a spoiled child who wants everything now. An MMO is a living breathing piece of software which is forever changing over its life span. It takes time to mold it into a masterpiece.

Edited by chakkar

1. I know i could do a better job

2. Dont advertise a "story" if its not a good one.

3. You used entertaining. Now you get subjective. Watching a fat person fall down stairs is entertaining however i dont need a writer to tell that story.

I stopped reading after 1. "I KNOW I COULD DO A BETTER JOB"

lol. DO IT THEN! http://www.bioware.com/careers

Sorry chekkar, but they had years of development to add minigames in lol. Why wouldn't they include some interactive stuff in when they know they have a few MMOs to compete with that had them? LOTRO had most of those stuff the guy listed at launch.

Sorry chekkar, but they had years of development to add minigames in lol. Why wouldn't they include some interactive stuff in when they know they have a few MMOs to compete with that had them? LOTRO had most of those stuff the guy listed at launch.

You can interact with space, right? Arent the space missions a mini game?

LOTRO MAY HAVE HAD IT at launch, but it wasn't enough to keep subs, obviously. can you say F2P?

Like I said, I dont know wht tehy didnt include these things, we'll never know. WHo knows how corporations work. Im sure the devs wanted it but prolly couldn't get the resources from EA to hire the guys to work on that specifically and everyone else was busy. Who knows. I dont really care.

I dont play MMOs to interact with the small details. If its there, nice. If its not, then I just do other stuff.

As If I ever spend a lot of time swimming or fishing in an MMO, lol.

If there's no "other stuff" to do, what do you do after you've done everything? XD Right now, once you're level 50, you just do dailies, pvp, or the buggy ops/flashpoints (which are easy and don't even take long). Crafting is a joke, GTN is a joke, and space missions are hardly minigames; they're more like a chore you do for extra experience... and once you're level 50 there's really no point in doing them lol.

And just because a game went F2P doesn't mean it necessarily failed. LOTRO revenue almost doubled and they saw a super large increase in population :)

A lot of people come from other MMOs that are light on the story. So they are used to ignoring it. Unfortunately with SWTOR, the story is the main focus, when you ignore it TOR's other shortcoming become even more visible.

It doesn't mean anyone is dumb, just that this isn't their type of game.

Yes yes. I just wish they would realise that, cancel sub and stop ************.

If there's no "other stuff" to do, what do you do after you've done everything? XD Right now, once you're level 50, you just do dailies, pvp, or the buggy ops/flashpoints (which are easy and don't even take long). Crafting is a joke, GTN is a joke, and space missions are hardly minigames; they're more like a chore you do for extra experience... and once you're level 50 there's really no point in doing them lol.

And just because a game went F2P doesn't mean it necessarily failed. LOTRO revenue almost doubled and they saw a super large increase in population :)

Did you get that from a Turbine press release?

Im 50, and still do lots of stuff. and the OPS are not "easy". They are challenging, unless of course you have the best gear....but if you have the best gear then why do you wonder why they are easy?

Crafting is not a joke.

How is the GTN a joke? I can buy stuff there and put stuff up for sale. Its doing what it was intended to do.