The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

An Epiphany: Voice Acted content.

Mackuss

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty hardcore, raid-focused player and I absoluetely love voice-acting.

Only thing I'd like would be to have an option to disable VO's for group content if all group members have already completed that quest. That would be a big time saver in flashpoints.

Voice acting itself isn't a problem at all, and it's extremely well done and adds immersion to parts of the game.

The problem that the OP, and the quoted post, seems to be missing is that it's not that the voice acting is there... it's that 90% of the people you talk to really have nothing interesting to say, but say it anyway. The voice acting itself is outstanding and adds to the portions of the game that it's used well in, but there's only so many times you can hear someone tell different variations of how you should fight your way through Imperials to turn the power back on before you start to ignore them.

It's compounded a bit by the simplistic responses being:

Choice 1) I am good! I'll do it because I'm good.

Choice 2) Well, I guess, pay me for it though.

Choice 3) I am evil! But I'll do it for xp.

Put simply, the voice acting works when there's depth to the conversations, and it doesn't when there's not. There's just too many places where the conversation serves no purpose other than to send you out to blast things or turn something back on just because filler was needed in the leveling process.

hahaha, great post. Bravo.

This is what I said during the beta as well. While I enjoy the voice acting the first time, I spacebar through it on alts and I always spacebar through the wookiee-******-pinchy gibberish aliens speak. Does that even really count as voice acting anyway?

Frankly, the whole "focus on story" thing is nothing more than a marketing gimmick that works on extremely gullible and/or stupid people. All MMOs have stories, and some even have great ones. That's what in that box with the paragraphs of text most of you disregard while you mouse over to the 'Accept' button. I suppose voice acting is a godsend to the illiterate, but it really is a waste of time and money and the quality of the game content (especially at end game) has obviously suffered due to a waste of resources and a lack of attention.

Nice angle of observation there.

It's sad to think what BW could have done with this game if they put the insane budget they used for VA's to something related to actual gameplay. Perhaps the entire end game wouldn't have been completely broken to start.

troof.

It's hardly useless. You may skip through it because you'd prefer to read it...

But if not for the voice acting? How many people do you think would simply click the NPC, find the objectives for the quest, and hit ACCEPT?

Do you honestly think people read the block text that comes with most quests in other MMO's? Because I sincerely doubt most people do.

I enjoy the voice acting. It's useful to me.

This exactly!

I love the voice acting. I listen to it with -every- quest. I do not space bar it. I do not find it boring at all!

In other games I rarely bothered to take the time to actually read the quest text, just the kill x amount of creatures in y area and then hit accept and be done with it. With the voice acting I listen to it all! Im not even a lazy reader I read books all the time the voice acting in games just adds to the immersion for me I guess - reading the text wasn't doing it for me.

You know, I bet a lot of people are going to overlook your comment, but that's a very very very good way of putting it. That's all it honestly is.

Quite honestly, there's nothing better than reading something, and how your creativity can interpret it, instead of being force fed something.

Like someone else mentioned, there's a parallel here to the advent of voice acting in motion pictures. Are you really suggesting that sound should not have been added to film because it's just a "time sink"? Really?

Some might suggest that it was added because that's how LIFE works. :) In life, people talk. Dont know if you've noticed that tho, cuz apparently you just read a lot.

But if not for the voice acting? How many people do you think would simply click the NPC, find the objectives for the quest, and hit ACCEPT?

Do you honestly think people read the block text that comes with most quests in other MMO's? Because I sincerely doubt most people do.

I always do it once per WoW expansion, turn off instant quest text and read all of the quests. Same as here, second emp char was spacebared through all nonclass dialogues.

This exactly!

I love the voice acting. I listen to it with -every- quest. I do not space bar it. I do not find it boring at all!

In other games I rarely bothered to take the time to actually read the quest text, just the kill x amount of creatures in y area and then hit accept and be done with it. With the voice acting I listen to it all! Im not even a lazy reader I read books all the time the voice acting in games just adds to the immersion for me I guess - reading the text wasn't doing it for me.

How long have you been playing the game for? The first few hours it is pretty cool, but past a certain point (and everyone's breaking point is different) the spell breaks. The facade ceases to impress, and you realize that they are just gussying up the same old content over and over again. For me it started to happen around 40 hours in. Some people are apparently amused by it for longer, some people are here purely for the MMO aspect of the game.

Regardless, the fact remains that the game makes the voiceover too common, too routine for it to remain impressive for hundreds of hours of gameplay.

The value of full VO content was questioned since the pre-release forums opened.

Knowing that any new content would also need VOs (aka. added time/money), a lot of people urged against it.

While I do enjoy some of the VO content (class story), most of it I do skip and simply read.

How long have you been playing the game for? The first few hours it is pretty cool, but past a certain point (and everyone's breaking point is different) the spell breaks. The facade ceases to impress, and you realize that they are just gussying up the same old content over and over again. For me it started to happen around 40 hours in. Some people are apparently amused by it for longer, some people are here purely for the MMO aspect of the game.

Regardless, the fact remains that the game makes the voiceover too common, too routine for it to remain impressive for hundreds of hours of gameplay.

I've been playing since day 3? Of early access.

Some people, SOME...

Like the idea of seeing/hearing something, a la Harry Potter, Twilight, Transformers, Game of Thrones, True Blood, Dexter.....

And some people like to read it.

As far as books vs. movies or shows, most people know the books contain more pertinent info, but as far as the story I am being told when going through a Flashpoint for the first time: You can have your text. I like the epic feel the voiceover and such has...

For myself, one obvious bonus the voice acting has over text is the ability to really depict just how culturally/biologically diverse the universe can be. Ugnaught grunts, the beeping of astromech droids, the low droning words of Ithorians, etc can arguably be best depicted with the voice over combined with subtitles. Some games simply use the convention that "<>" means the words in the brackets are alien but I like this better. My only complaint is that the alien languages are mostly random collections of phonemes and not actually syntactically developed, but that would be a needless use of resources. Edited by cortezmaverick

Like someone else mentioned, there's a parallel here to the advent of voice acting in motion pictures. Are you really suggesting that sound should not have been added to film because it's just a "time sink"? Really?

/facepalm

I never read content like that. I really do enjoy the voice acting. TOR is setting the bar of immersion. Feels like I'm actually playing a game instead of grinding out random quests that I don't care to read about.

For myself, one obvious bonus the voice acting has over text is the ability to really depict just how culturally/biologically diverse the universe can be.

I think it's coming clear. People are completely delusional, and that's why they like the voice acting, lol. I'm being serious, besides class quests, think about what it is you're doing. You are still doing WoW quests. Except being asked for more of a time sink to do it.

Yes, how diverse the universe is. Where there is nothing but humanoids, nearly everyone's British (even the Asians) and EVERYONE has a blank stare right after their sentences.

LOL.

I think it's coming clear. People are completely delusional, and that's why they like the voice acting, lol. I'm being serious, besides class quests, think about what it is you're doing. You are still doing WoW quests. Except being asked for more of a time sink to do it.

Yes, how diverse the universe is. Where there is nothing but humanoids, nearly everyone's British (even the Asians) and EVERYONE has a blank stare right after their sentences.

LOL.

OK so go kill 150 boars and bring me back 50 tusks. Don't even try lol.