Sniper (Very poorly designed)

JBGames

Alacrity might be nice for a lethality sniper, however, for the others .... no, because the stat comes not for free and therefore you will lose e.g. cunning.

And there is also the energy regeneration....

As for the "badly constructed" argument: I think talents like sniper volley show that the sniper is a tacked on class.

It is also apparent when you take the lacking synergy of talents and trees as well as sniper's bad performance (e.g. why do you have to hunker down to use cover pulse and every other class can just trigger their pushback on demand, why is our stun melee ranged...while we are a sitting-duck class, why does our cc fill the enemy's resolve bar in no time while sorcs can cc someone 24527424 times?) compared to other classes.

To some extend the class feels a bit like Frankenstein's monster: a part here, a part there, then the badly fitting parts are sewn togther and...voila: sniper

Edited by Desgarden

I'm writing this to try and get the community to come together and express some of their grievences with the poor design of the sniper advance class.Please add onto my list

1)Alacrity- You give use a bunch of percentage based alacrity specials yet you put no alacrity on any of our equipment.

2)Lack of a Ranged stun- To my knowledge we are the only ranged class w/o a ranged stun and this puts us at a disadvantage in PvP

3) All of Are skills are classified as Ranged attacks and have to go through evade/dodge/reflect and alot of other things

Fixes

1) Add alacrity to our gear or make the alacrity buffs power or surge buffs

2) Make debilitate 30-35m range

3) Make some of our ranged skills tech based

Please add to my list: Lets keep this constructive please

I would like to add:

4) the utter uselessness of our PvE/PvP set bonus

5)Sniper Volley uselessness

Cover required skills need more range:

-Make Ambush/Snipe 45 yards

-Cover should provide Camo until the sniper fires, and if they remain static for 6 seconds, return to camo.

CC's/Skills need to be reworked, the sniper's top priority and where they need help the most is in running away.

- Cover Pulse should be reworked to "proximity Mine", allowing you to engage it when you set up cover, and have it auto-go off when someone gets in melee range of you. CD begins on explosion.

- Need a "Surge of Speed" skill which boosts your runspeed, while disabling cover while in use, with snare/root immunity for the duration.

- Need to be able to drop 2 types of "drop mines" behind you while running

1. Spurs: Anyone who runs over them becomes snared for 6 seconds

2. Blast Mine: When set off, explodes for minor damage with knockback/knockdown.

Do these, and the MM spec is fixed and playable, as we can set up without being focused because of our big red glowy shield telling the whole world "A sniper is right here". We have 2 shots that have enough range to make us snipers, and allow us a much wider choice of cover locations, and the ability to run away to find another place to take cover if needed.

I would like to add:

4) the utter uselessness of our PvE/PvP set bonus

5)Sniper Volley uselessness

I would like to add another thing

6) Why does a sniper have flashing red lights when they set up on their cover shield? Remove the bright red shield and the flashing lights look. I thought the idea behind a sniper was to remain as conspicous as possible not to stick out like a sore thumb

Edited by JBGames

I'm writing this to try and get the community to come together and express some of their grievences with the poor design of the sniper advance class.Please add onto my list

1)Alacrity- You give use a bunch of percentage based alacrity specials yet you put no alacrity on any of our equipment.

2)Lack of a Ranged stun- To my knowledge we are the only ranged class w/o a ranged stun and this puts us at a disadvantage in PvP

3) All of Are skills are classified as Ranged attacks and have to go through evade/dodge/reflect and alot of other things

Fixes

1) Add alacrity to our gear or make the alacrity buffs power or surge buffs

2) Make debilitate 30-35m range

3) Make some of our ranged skills tech based

Please add to my list: Lets keep this constructive please

1) adding alacrity does nothing for us except make things worse. just don't get pieces with alacrity on them

2) Debilitate is a 4m range because you have to use your off hand weapon to do it. love to see you throw a knife 100-120 feet and drill someone in the chest.

3) some are but most aren't and if they were tanks would be absolutely useless in pvp then.

4) none of them are useless, just one of them (pve 2pc) isn't very good in comparison to other bonuses

5) not entirely useless just better choices (happens in all trees)

6) cover's color/flashing lights isn't the reason you are probably getting lit up in pvp.

1) adding alacrity does nothing for us except make things worse. just don't get pieces with alacrity on them

2) Debilitate is a 4m range because you have to use your off hand weapon to do it. love to see you throw a knife 100-120 feet and drill someone in the chest.

3) some are but most aren't and if they were tanks would be absolutely useless in pvp then.

4) none of them are useless, just one of them (pve 2pc) isn't very good in comparison to other bonuses

5) not entirely useless just better choices (happens in all trees)

6) cover's color/flashing lights isn't the reason you are probably getting lit up in pvp.

So you think there is perfect synergy to all the skills in the sniper MM tree? You don't see any problems?

Yes, and it feels bad.

I'm following your last set of posting and it seems like you add nothing to any of the last 8 threads you responded to other then some trolling response. So please go back to the game if you don't have something constructive. Its ok if you don't agree but then post it.

Edited by JBGames

I'm fat, bald and short. I went to my parents facebook and myspace to complain that it was their poor design as to why I cant get a date or anyone to fall in love with me.

The response was simple, it is what it is.

How does this fit into this thread? The sniper was designed and worked through beta etc and what we have now is the product. The OP has posted many of threads complaining that he only play one of three trees and calls anyone that doesnt play said tree a moroon or something else.

Point being, the lack of versatility of the OP is what needs to be fixed not the class. Sure there are plenty of bugs in every class. But to continually post new thread after new thread offering the same river of tears is hardly going to get a positive response.

I am currently playing a leth sniper and 99% of the time i am in warzones. I see no problem with the mm snipers that I am in there with. But I dont know how the OP plays his sniper compared to myself or any other sniper. Could be a case of the OP not utilizing all skills/talents and just wants a skill to kill all in LoS of him.

I'm fat, bald and short. I went to my parents facebook and myspace to complain that it was their poor design as to why I cant get a date or anyone to fall in love with me.

How does this fit into this thread? The sniper was designed and worked through beta etc and what we have now is the product. The OP has posted many of threads complaining that he only play one of three trees and calls anyone that doesnt play said tree a moroon or something else.

Point being, the lack of versatility of the OP is what needs to be fixed not the class. Sure there are plenty of bugs in every class. But to continually post new thread after new thread offering the same river of tears is hardly going to get a positive response.

I am currently playing a leth sniper and 99% of the time i am in warzones. I see no problem with the mm snipers that I am in there with. But I dont know how the OP plays his sniper compared to myself or any other sniper. Could be a case of the OP not utilizing all skills/talents and just wants a skill to kill all in LoS of him.

First off, I do alright in PvP. There are little bugs and things that could be tweaked in this class to make it better. I understand Lethality works perfect for you. Yes, MM works but there is lack of synergy amoung many of the equipment and skills. Apperently you do not wish to have a conversation about improving the class as a whole. Your only interested in insulting people and offering no constructive feedback.

Its perfectly fine that you don't agree. But please post some counterarguments on why you think 1)snipers should have alacrity 2) Skill delay and cover bugs should exist etc.

Edited by JBGames

Apperently you do not wish to have a conversation about improving the class as a whole. Your only interested in insulting people and offering no constructive feedback

Pot, Kettle over

With that said you are stilll tunnel visioning. If I go do a raid or a pve instance, am I going to do it as leth? no I'm not. Each tree has its use and to want one tree to be the end all of it all is narrow minded.

The mods and enhancements can be changed on pvp gear, the set bonus for all ia sets are a little weak so to me they are not a big deal.

Pot, Kettle over

With that said you are stilll tunnel visioning. If I go do a raid or a pve instance, am I going to do it as leth? no I'm not. Each tree has its use and to want one tree to be the end all of it all is narrow minded.

The mods and enhancements can be changed on pvp gear, the set bonus for all ia sets are a little weak so to me they are not a big deal.

Again I read nothing constructive except: Lethality is the only spec for PvP and if you want to raid you must spec MM/Eng. Here are some quotes for you to mull over

MMORPG.com: The Imperial Agent breaks down into the Sniper and Operative. How do these stealth style classes work in conjuction with the more melee heavy classes?

Georg Zoeller: The Operative gets access to the stealth field generator, the Sniper does not. In regards to synergies with more melee heavy classes, it really comes down skill point distribution. The Sniper gameplay is a lot about setting up your attack, delivering maximum damage from long range and utilizing cover for defense while the Operative relies a lot more on his stealth field generator to get behind targets (preferably those paying attention to one of those heavy melee classes) to introduce them to their scatter gun at close range.

Another option available only to the Operative via skill tree choices is medical support.

In terms of the two factions how do the Advanced Classes stack up? Does every class have its equal? How are you handling class balance?

Georg Zoeller: To ensure faction balance, each Republic class has it's 'nemesis' on the Empire side, balanced for equal access in utility, mitigation and damage potential, etc.

At the same time, we're taking care to retain the proper Star Wars feel and identity for each of the classes (e.g. a Trooper won't get access to the jetpack/jetpack themed abilities the Bounty Hunter has and the Bounty Hunter won't get access to Assault Cannon style weapons).

Visually, each of the classes has their own set of animations, sounds, visual effects and appearance to ensure that characters can be easily identified on the battlefield and to support the unique feel of each class.

For Advanced Classes, we're working to ensure that each class is viable in their roles (e.g. all Advanced Classes that can fill a medic role are designed to be fully viable as such) and that there is no second class citizen.A lot of thought is also going into the design of the technology based classes to ensure they match the Force using classes in capability. Jedi are fearsome opponents, but certainly not immune to some well timed shots in the back from an Imperial Agent's sniper rifle or the flames of a Bounty Hunter's flamethrower.

As always, please remember Star Wars: The Old Republic is in ongoing Game Testing and as part of that, any of the details provided here about skills and abilities might change before the game launches.

You can be part of the problem or you can help the developers know what are some of the issues with the class. Or you can keeping insulting everyone with a different view and I'll have to keep reporting you.

Edited by JBGames

Yes it is....

1. Cover is a hindrance with little benefit to outweigh how much of an obstacle it is.

2. Long cast times and restrictive cover mechanic required on biggest attacks, the damage dealt is in no way commensurate with the hassle to set up said attacks.

3. What little benefit cover provides is conical so a side step and an attack negates it

4. long cast times allow attackees to simply run out of range when the tell tale giant ambush symbol appears on them. Or they can simply step behind a wall and save themselves any damage at all.

5. Sniper damage does not scale well against player defensive progression

6. While snipers may say they have little trouble staying alive (though snipers are easy to kill) it is very very easy to negate a sniper's attacks and render his offensive measures much less effective.

7. Range is similar to pistol wielding players...

I'm sure there is more.

Though I have said before I like playing an underpowered class...so I'm cool with it.

Add to it I am not a hyper competitive PvPer...I leave a WZ with comms and credits every time..so not complaining.

I'm following your last set of posting and it seems like you add nothing to any of the last 8 threads you responded to other then some trolling response. So please go back to the game if you don't have something constructive. Its ok if you don't agree but then post it.

I don't agree.

How does this fit into this thread?

It doesn't.

One is genetic, and has nothing to do with the choices of your parents, the other is a game design issue which is easily rectified based on willful and specific design.

While on your parents' FB page, be sure to let them know that of all your other physical flaws, to add "The inability to craft a valid analogy".

So you think there is perfect synergy to all the skills in the sniper MM tree? You don't see any problems?

1) alacrity doesn't do anything for us, why? after 1.5 second cast time GCD keeps alacrity from helping, out of the 4 skills MM has that have an activation time (SoS, Snipe, Ambush and OS) 1 of them is good with its cast time (channel) the other 2 are either a) already 1.5 seconds or b) are easily brought to 1.5 seconds with procs and the last one is 2 seconds talented. so no we don't need alacrity. synergy is happening without alacrity

2) debilitate is to be used when they get close it isnt intended to stun at range, its an oh **** button (pardon the french). so this is working perfectly and is very synergetic when use properly. (especially with cover pulse).

3) ambush has 20% arp and with shatter on the target its now at 40%, how much more flipping arp do you want? not to mention with shatter we are then at 20% for every other ability as well. reducing anyones armor by 20% pretty much makes it so their armor is at the next lower tier of armor. working very well.

4) 1 more hit on OS is awesome (especially on void star and civil) and is great on the pve side as well. the pvp 4pc is awesome can't begin to tell how usefull it is (in pvp that is). pve 2pc like I said earlier is a bit lack luster but not useless as the cooldown it is tied to is something that should be used on cool down (if appropriate and you aren't runing out of a void zone or something). pve 4 pc is absolutely awesome. 20% energy savings on my execute? yes pls.

5) is it an amazing talent? no. is its buff something we should strive for? no. does it help a couple of our abilites? yes. therefore not useless but there are several other choices that are indeed better. SV does play well with SoS however.

6) the color of the cover graphic doesn't impede gameplay of the class to any extent whatsoever.

3) ambush has 20% arp and with shatter on the target its now at 40%, how much more flipping arp do you want? not to mention with shatter we are then at 20% for every other ability as well. reducing anyones armor by 20% pretty much makes it so their armor is at the next lower tier of armor. working very well.

And yet i regularly crit Shattered targets with Ambush for ... 600, 700, 800 damage. The problem isn't just armor pen, its that ALL OF OUR ATTACKS except dart, grenade, and o. strike are mitigated by EVERY DEFENSE IN THE GAME.

That's the problem.

It's avoidable by playing lethality (slightly lower damage overall, but done equally to anyone, as it is all internal), but the moment you get out of PuG ville, Lethality takes a giant crap all over itself when an alert healer reduces your DPS to near zero.

Aha...armour protection gain is linear or how should we interpret your little rant here? Actually you must think that else your post makes no sense at all.

Edited by Desgarden

And yet i regularly crit Shattered targets with Ambush for ... 600, 700, 800 damage. The problem isn't just armor pen, its that ALL OF OUR ATTACKS except dart, grenade, and o. strike are mitigated by EVERY DEFENSE IN THE GAME.

This.

I swear I was in match where EVERY warrior had a blue shield and trooper a red shield - I didn't know who to target. If they remove defense, we can tear through them easily. With defense, we might as well don't bother attacking. No idea how they are gonna fix this.

Edited by Kilrach

Cover required skills need more range:

-Make Ambush/Snipe 45 yards

-Cover should provide Camo until the sniper fires, and if they remain static for 6 seconds, return to camo.

CC's/Skills need to be reworked, the sniper's top priority and where they need help the most is in running away.

- Cover Pulse should be reworked to "proximity Mine", allowing you to engage it when you set up cover, and have it auto-go off when someone gets in melee range of you. CD begins on explosion.

- Need a "Surge of Speed" skill which boosts your runspeed, while disabling cover while in use, with snare/root immunity for the duration.

- Need to be able to drop 2 types of "drop mines" behind you while running

1. Spurs: Anyone who runs over them becomes snared for 6 seconds

2. Blast Mine: When set off, explodes for minor damage with knockback/knockdown.

Do these, and the MM spec is fixed and playable, as we can set up without being focused because of our big red glowy shield telling the whole world "A sniper is right here". We have 2 shots that have enough range to make us snipers, and allow us a much wider choice of cover locations, and the ability to run away to find another place to take cover if needed.

Also, a red cape and shirt with a big S. R u serious guy?