My swtor experience

CocaPuffs

Hello. I bought the game off origin (Digital copy-standard edition). I check my email and go through the hopes off actually activating the game. Had some weird glitch where it kept telling me the code i entered was being used...

Long post-My personal opinions of my SWTOR experience.

Well I finally set-up subscription and I was ready to play! Log in and look at the opening cinematic which was great. Choose my faction and once again saw cinematic which was again great. I choose to be a sith inquisitor.. log in and instantly hit lag.. nearly unplayable lag..

I walked around and found a quest giver.. had to wait for the dialogue to start.. clicked "ok" Basically mass effect/Kotor style dialogue choices.. which is fine. Voice acting was good, awesome I thought lets do this im ready to start leveling!

Well.. thats where the fun ends for me. Basically the game is a world of warcraft/eq clone. Just about everything is a carbon copy of world of warcraft set to the star wars universe. Not impressed. Killed some mobs and got a "green" item.. wow i thought new gear.... its green... I click on it and it sounds equipping soulbounds the item to you.

Ugh so this game is a complete gear grind just like world of warcraft.. great sweet. So I took a break after achieving level 4. I was interested in this space combat.. only to find out its a really bad very poorly lazy attempt at a mini-game. That did it for me.

Quietly exited the game and cancelled my subscription. I would ask for a refund but i believe there are no refunds to digital purchases which is a shame.. Had this game had a FREE TRIAL I would not have wasted 60 dollars, I would have gotten to level 4 found out the game is not for me at this time and went along my way.

I am however looking forward to Bioware/EA console games in the future. Sadly I am disappointed at my purchase currently.

All that for 4 levels, maybe a half an hour worth of time invested.

YUP your right you were able to spot the commonality in the MMO genre.

Sadly you bought an MMO and expected it to not be an MMO, not sure what else I can add.

I could say you didn't spend enough time, but as you obviously already made your mind, I wish you luck on your next game.

Might I suggest you do a little more research before your next purchase.

Edited by Korizan

Hello. I bought the game off origin (Digital copy-standard edition). I check my email and go through the hopes off actually activating the game. Had some weird glitch where it kept telling me the code i entered was being used...

Long post-My personal opinions of my SWTOR experience.

Well I finally set-up subscription and I was ready to play! Log in and look at the opening cinematic which was great. Choose my faction and once again saw cinematic which was again great. I choose to be a sith inquisitor.. log in and instantly hit lag.. nearly unplayable lag..

I walked around and found a quest giver.. had to wait for the dialogue to start.. clicked "ok" Basically mass effect/Kotor style dialogue choices.. which is fine. Voice acting was good, awesome I thought lets do this im ready to start leveling!

Well.. thats where the fun ends for me. Basically the game is a world of warcraft/eq clone. Just about everything is a carbon copy of world of warcraft set to the star wars universe. Not impressed. Killed some mobs and got a "green" item.. wow i thought new gear.... its green... I click on it and it sounds equipping soulbounds the item to you.

Ugh so this game is a complete gear grind just like world of warcraft.. great sweet. So I took a break after achieving level 4. I was interested in this space combat.. only to find out its a really bad very poorly lazy attempt at a mini-game. That did it for me.

Quietly exited the game and cancelled my subscription. I would ask for a refund but i believe there are no refunds to digital purchases which is a shame.. Had this game had a FREE TRIAL I would not have wasted 60 dollars, I would have gotten to level 4 found out the game is not for me at this time and went along my way.

I am however looking forward to Bioware/EA console games in the future. Sadly I am disappointed at my purchase currently.

sorry your pc sucks so bad you had lag, ever think your 04 POS pc needs upgrade? no lag here sorry.

Basically the game is a world of warcraft/eq clone. Just about everything is a carbon copy of world of warcraft set to the star wars universe.

I'm going to stop reading your post right there. You are so far off, it's not worth my time reading the rest.

. So I took a break after achieving level 4. I was interested in this space combat.. only to find out its a really bad very poorly lazy attempt at a mini-game. That did it for me.

yeah...i'm just going to go ahead and all you a liar...no way you could have attempted the space combat at level 4...especially since you cant attempt it until after you get your space ship after finishing Dromund Kaas.

All that for 4 levels, maybe a half an hour worth of time invested.

YUP your right you were able to spot the commonality in the MMO genre.

Sadly you bought an MMO and expected it to not be an MMO, not sure what else I can add.

I could say you didn't spend enough time, but as you obviously already made your mind, I wish you luck on your next game.

Might I suggest you do a little more research before your next purchase.

Lol I was thinking the same thing... Stop whining, level 4? Really? Stop there? What a joke, this had to have been a drunken forum post, because NO ONE would post this thinking they would get an actual response...

I see your point and I am a little bit upset at myself for believe this hype. I had a very high opinion of Bioware and EA partnering together on a project with help from Lucas Arts.. who wouldn't have high expectations from a team of that caliber?

Anyway to my point for posting this, I enjoy space combat.. which is why I also play Eve online. I would like to see this game have some complexity to it with regards to player made structures/ships and manufacturing. I see too much influence of World of Warcraft in this game and it just instantly sours my opinion and I can not continue to play it knowing that fact :(

Maybe I will be back a year or two from now and test it out again. As to your comment about researching before a purchase.. well friend I did the reading and watched the videos on youtube and took a gander at these forums. You can not play the game without paying for it.. a trial would have been sufficient for me to find out all of these flaws.

I'm just very disappointed at the product I have purchased. :(

Anyway may the force be with you :p

Whoa simmer down everyone... My pc is fine, will buy a new one with tax money soon :D

I took a gander at youtube and saw some of the "space combat". Watched some videos and looked at this very forum to see some opinions. I played wow on and off for six years.. i see the GLARING similarities between this game and that. For me personally its a deal breaker, i was hoping for a more Kotor/mass effect experience with regards to combat/itemization and space combat :(

I dont think I deserve some of the hate being directed at me, I am simply voicing my opinion about why I am disappointed.

So I took a break after achieving level 4. I was interested in this space combat.. only to find out its a really bad very poorly lazy attempt at a mini-game. That did it for me.

you got your ship at lvl 4 ? , bravo !

only by this i call your whole post BS ..

and also its a mmorpg title what did you expect ? leveling up getting gear in the proces defeating monsters .. ? ..

if you didnt figure this out for yoursefl before you buyed the game ..

YOUR OWN FAULT buddy !

Also World of warcraft isnt the standard for .... evrything ..

most things you mensioned games had before of wordl of warcraft ..

it's a mmorpg , it gotta meet standard of a mmorpg ... and again wow didnt make the standard for it >< !

Edited by Genesizs

A whole four levels? From the tone of your post I'm feeling that you're someone who played and hated WOW and now sees it in all other games. However I will agree with you that SWTOR is far from perfect and the long wait did nothing to level expectations of the game for many people.

SWTOR looks lovely and plays as a non-mmo quite nicely for me. Clearly the lead game designers came from a stand-alone background because the solo story is unmatched in quality as far as I'm concerned. However I'm yet to experience the community that other MMO's offer.

I'm keeping an open mind with regards to meeting and playing with new people. I had nearly solo levelled to 80 (the old cap) in SWG before I really started meeting people so still being at the 30ish mark in SWTOR I feel there is room for wiggle. The most interaction I've had outside buy and selling on the market terminal is a relentless stream of... erm... lesser beings whispering me to "dool ritard" - I don't consider this interaction but merely the behaviour of a misplaced (perma-banned) population from WoW and WoW'like MMOs.

Other issues. Yes! The game runs hot and one should use a cooling fan of some kind. I'm blasting my laptop with a desk fan and am now experiencing no 'lag' except at the fleet instances which I suspect is people racing around on their speeders indoors - kind of funny for a RP server, no?

I would give the OP some life advice here but I fear they won't read it as they have already moved on to thrash their joystick elsewhere. However I would say - don't ever have high expectations and you won't live a life of disappointment.

It's not all that bad. The stories are interesting. The side quests are standard fare for MMO's but made laborious by the full VO's for each and every one even if it's just killing 10 womp rats.

The game itself doesn't get any better than it is at level 4 at 30. It actually gets quite a bit more tedious at the higher levels because you have to complete so many more side quests just to level and most of them have you running all over the map over and over. You will cover the same areas multiple times at different junctures when completing side quests and main story arc quests. You will kill a group of mobs on your way to a quest point and kill them again on your way back to the quest giver then kill them 20 more times running back and forth to the same area on different quests.

The combat is fairly fast paced which is good but it boils down to tapping out the exact same rotation in the exact same sequence for every fight. Timing isn't as critical on the rotation as in WoW because there's the global CD on all skills so you have plenty of time to hit the next key so it's nearly impossible to mess it up. This makes combat repetative and boring.

After 34 levels on a sith inquisitor I can literally close my eyes after engaging a elite mob, tap my rotation and never once have to worry about getting killed even if another wandering mob aggros.

99% of the deaths I have suffered were due to me trying to avoid a fight by trying to sneak around a large group of mobs, aggroing them and stumbling into another large group in my frantic run.

Right now my main reason for playing is to see how the story turns out. I'm not very interested in hitting 50 because from all accounts the game is pretty much over at that point and it's time to reroll. I don't think I can stand running all the same side quests again with any more characters just to see the main story arc.

I don't blame you for quitting. the game really is the same throughout and if you don't like it at level 4 you probably won't like it any better at 50.

Hi there!

While we welcome all feedback, positive and negative, there is little room for constructive discussion in reply to this topic. For suggestions on how to improve this game, please feel free and encouraged to post your ideas in a new thread in the Suggestions Forum

Also, the following threads are available for the sharing of suggestions and/or noting of bugs/issues.

The Suggestion Compilation Thread - Regularly updated!

Ultimate Bug List

For guidance on how to provide constructive feedback, please visit Allison Berryman's thread on that topic available here.

Thanks!