4h. downtime... a SATURDAY???

zandadoum

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You all sure are an entitled lot aren't you? Who is less important than you who should have half their Saturday eaten then, or should they stagger the patches so that everyone has half of their Saturday eaten so they can wallow in self pity with you?

You were planning on unsubbing anyways if you actually did unsub, quit trying to act like this is the reason why.

Ya because this 68+ page it proof of how they are silencing people...

they remove delete posts all the time that have rela substantive info just becuase i guess it exposes them with intelect or factual info they dont want out

these forums are the worst for freedom of information between people ive EVER seen online period

if you pay attention posts and entire threads disappear very frequently for those that are paying attention ... particularly the customer serveice forums

in addition to the many posts made by what look like customers like us but if you follow their post patterns and frequency are obviously not playing the game but rather running interference for bioware internally

pay attention

take the red pill i guess :p

While I understand these maintenances need to happen, it shouldn't be as long, and it shouldn't be on a Staurday during the day.

I'm a very tolerant person but this is taking the micky.

I can see it happening too. however if it's SO urgent that it has to be done during weekend then theres is really no valid reason to wait untill after US peak. If it's SO urgent they shouldnt hesitate to put the servers down then and there... not write a post about how they are gonna do it during EU mid day instead.

So yeah..

Believe it.

Was it really that critical that they do it now and not wait till Tuesday? I mean they have a big fat 8 hours maintenance window to do it

Can't they split the maintenance window to effect different time zones more appropriately?

If you're happy, then great but others aren't and BW need to take note.

It doesn't matter. They agreed to this via the EULA. EA/Bioware have full authority to take the servers down at any time, for any reason, at any duration as seen necessary by them.

By clicking "play" you agreed you were alright with that.

Just got an awful lot of liars.

Well I just logged in after watching my favorite football (Soccer team, if your from the Americas!) team get knocked out of the FA Cup, SIGH! :(

Now I tried to join the server around 9.30am GMT, and of course I quickly became aware that the servers were going to be taken offline today, apparently for maintenance purposes.

I live in the UK, and if maintenance is required and urgently needed, then fine! I can be patient, and I'll fill my day with other arrangements, np! :)

However, I do feel a little confused!

You see I just logged in at 3.30pm GMT, and to my surprise! When the launcher opened, the client didn't download a single bloody file? :eek:

So exactly, what was the reason for the servers to be taken down during Europe's peak times? No offence Bioware! IMHO Your going about running your first MMO, completely wrong!

People would understand a lot more, if at the very least you would extend them the courtesy of explaining exactly why, this needed to be done, during these times!

Now the USA maybe a big country approx 3 billion in population, however I'm pretty sure last time I checked, if you added the population of all the countries within the European Union it was around 5 billion.

What exactly are you trying to say to your player base here?

What? You would rather have a possible 3 billion subscribers, as opposed to the combined possible 8 billion subscribers, you could have, if only you would just implemented a split zone maintenance schedule? I mean seriously! In today's economy were money is tight, this complete lack of customer consideration, is enough to cause people to unsubscribe!

Now i haven't been to the USA in about 2 years! However I'm pretty sure that, last time I was there! Saturdays and Sundays were still, largely considered to be the weekend! You know! Those two very short days you get off from work, were you can actually spend what little money you've made after you've paid all your household bills! To pursue your very own interests or hobbies, if you like!

Well like most things you pay for in your leisure time, IMO an MMO, can be classed, as a hobby or an interest, or even just a means of entertainment, like paying to watch a movie at the cinema etc, etc.

Who on earth in your company? Thinks it's a good idea! To charge people a monthly subscription, and then basically rob them of the time, using said product, for which they've actually paid for?

They say there's "Method in Madness", I say "Madness has no Method"!

Foolish! Very foolish, IMHO, and you could at least offer all European players 1 free day of gametime! Even CCP have done this in the past, with Eve Online, and they are a stubborn company.

I am reluctant to admit that I agree with this sentiment. Outrage over this is sadly riveting. I 'suffered' through weekly maintenance with wow cutting into my 'prime play time' every week...and MUCH OF THE TIME the maintenance went WAAAAAY over the time frame initially stated.

People need to get some serious perspective.

So you're saying that EU players, in spite of paying more and being a very large part of the game's subscriber base, should simply just "suck it up" and accept the situation.

I'm sorry, but we're talking 2012 and the world doesn't work like that anymore. If you provide a substandard service to paying customers, those paying customers will complain, and they have every right to do so.

But hey, enjoy your purely American game for as long as it lasts until it goes F2P. Based on how the game's treating EU players and how these EU players are unsubbing in droves, I expect that to happen in 2012, early 2013 at the latest.

example, my guild has lost a fifth of our players already, with another 30-40% seriously considering unsubbing.

It's not just the maintenance times. It's the total disregard for EU players combined with the game being extremely buggy even for a new MMO title as well as generally not being anywhere near what it's been hyped up to be.

The one and only right we have is to decide continuing playing the game or not.

QQing here will only make ppl laugh at you with smart comments.

Do you think that if we complain in these forums...Bioware will change anything?

Ofc not if it is something not already programmed.

So...don t compair SWTOR with other mmos or Bioware services with other companies,just keep the anger for yourself and stop playing when your subscription ends if those things persist.

Sadly I ll have to cope with Bioware a bit more as I have put a prepaid 2 month card.

they remove delete posts all the time that have rela substantive info just becuase i guess it exposes them with intelect or factual info they dont want out

these forums are the worst for freedom of information between people ive EVER seen online period

if you pay attention posts and entire threads disappear very frequently for those that are paying attention ... particularly the customer serveice forums

in addition to the many posts made by what look like customers like us but if you follow their post patterns and frequency are obviously not playing the game but rather running interference for bioware internally

pay attention

take the red pill i guess :p

I have seen some stupid comments in my Life but this wins the Gold star *Golf clap.

I think your Tin foil hat is broken.

One big problem that i can see with having a *split* maintenance time is that we have just the one client for both EU and US regions.

You don't need to change anything to play on an US server or an EU server, you just login and go.

However, when it comes to patch time... if the US server got patched 1st, then it could cause problems for when you wanted to play on the EU servers before they got their patches.

Now, although the patches that we deal with are client side, there are also server side patches as well that need to be taken into consideration. The launcher is what checks if a client is up to date/valid, and if it is, then you are good to go. The actual "servers" themselves on the server select screen do not do this check AFAIK.

So how do you cope with a single client that has a different version number to what the server is expecting, without bringing the server up to date as well (some fixes also rely on both the server and client to be patched correctly, and difference between them will throw up errors).

So, i guess people prefer having separate clients for the EU servers and the US servers just to satisfy their need for separate downtimes?

((note: Rift has a similar problem as well around patch times, and it can result in a large patch download, especially if you are going from an "up to date" region to a "about to be patched" region. But you also have to change your launcher settings between the regions as well ))

So is it possible for them to do rolling patches on servers? Yes... is it worth it? I am *not* to sure on this one, there are pro's and cons for separate clients, separate patches... but there is *no* one perfect answer.

From what i hear last night alot of people were being effected by it. It couldnt wait tell tuesday

Possibly but even then PR it right and still nobody would complain hardly but their announcement was no different than the typical Tuesday one. If in the announcement they said," Sorry folks, we hate to do this to you guys on a weekend but we need to bring the servers down for emergency maintenance because of an issue causing mass disconnects in fleet." this thread wouldn't reach 70ish pages heh.

Edited by Asuka

So you're saying that EU players, in spite of paying more and being a very large part of the game's subscriber base, should simply just "suck it up" and accept the situation.

I'm sorry, but we're talking 2012 and the world doesn't work like that anymore. If you provide a substandard service to paying customers, those paying customers will complain, and they have every right to do so.

But hey, enjoy your purely American game for as long as it lasts until it goes F2P. Based on how the game's treating EU players and how these EU players are unsubbing in droves, I expect that to happen in 2012, early 2013 at the latest.

example, my guild has lost a fifth of our players already, with another 30-40% seriously considering unsubbing.

It's not just the maintenance times. It's the total disregard for EU players combined with the game being extremely buggy even for a new MMO title as well as generally not being anywhere near what it's been hyped up to be.

Jesus christ.. Its all about you you you you. Dont go so nieve to think your the only one to be effected. I wanted to play last night. But no i couldnt. Get off your high horse. And i'm american

Edited by Kelenae

. :mad: Throw in lousy patch times, such as Prime-Time gaming hours (read: WEEKENDS), and BW may just find people abandoning this game faster than rats scurrying from a sinking ship.

If people are going to 'jump from the sinking ship' (LOL at use of hyperbole there) because of 4 hours of urgent maintenance, then there is likely nothing that BW could ever do to make them happy, and they will complain about the next thing that strikes their fancy.

People like that seem to be common in this genre of entertainment. Always looking for the newest, best, fastest, and most importantly PERFECT thing.

I'm not a fanboy (such a stupid word) not by any stretch of the imagination. I actually get a lot out of reading the threads posted by mature and thoughtful players who are actually objective and state the problems they have with the game intelligently. They are out there.

This one is not one of those threads. I am entertained however.

Possibly but even then PR it right and still nobody would complain hardly but their announcement was no different than the typical Tuesday one. If in the announcement they said," Sorry folks, we hate to do this to you guys on a weekend but we need to bring the servers down for emergency maintenance because of an issue causing mass disconnects in fleet." this thread wouldn't reach 70ish pages heh.

Even if they said something. We aer still gonna have this 70isp page.. Seriously.. People are gonna QQ regardless!

Jesus christ.. Its all about you you you you. Dont go so nieve to think your the only one to be effected. I wanted to play last night. But no i couldnt. Get off your high horse.

It's not about us us us us. It's about that Bioware is all about U.S. U.S. U.S. U.S. Get it? So there needs to be one maintenance for everyone? Make it in turns. Once during EU night time and once during US night time. How's that? Fair enough? We'll see how you react to downtimes up till 8:30 PM on a regular day. With a 12 hour notice.

Regards,

Kalantris

If people are going to 'jump from the sinking ship' (LOL at use of hyperbole there) because of 4 hours of urgent maintenance, then there is likely nothing that BW could ever do to make them happy, and they will complain about the next thing that strikes their fancy.

People like that seem to be common in this genre of entertainment. Always looking for the newest, best, fastest, and most importantly PERFECT thing.

I'm not a fanboy (such a stupid word) not by any stretch of the imagination. I actually get a lot out of reading the threads posted by mature and thoughtful players who are actually objective and state the problems they have with the game intelligently. They are out there.

This one is not one of those threads. I am entertained however.

Same here, its like the nerd rage fuels my Laughter.

It's not about us us us us. It's about that Bioware is all about U.S. U.S. U.S. U.S. Get it? So there needs to be one maintenance for everyone? Make it in turns. Once during EU night time and once during US night time. How's that? Fair enough? We'll see how you react to downtimes up till 8:30 PM on a regular day. With a 12 hour notice.

Regards,

Kalantris

Still talking about you. I'm sorry

Regards,

Kalantris

Yet this has nothing to do with planned maintenance, So your comment is irrelevant :rolleyes:

Edited by Kanharn

Read it.

Or don't - here I'll save you the trouble.

14. Limitations on Warranty and Liability.

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT THE USE OF TOR SERVICES, TOR SOFTWARE, AND THE INTERNET IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. TOR SERVICES, TOR SOFTWARE, AND THIRD-PARTY SERVICES AND PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS FOR YOUR USE, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, UNLESS SUCH WARRANTIES ARE LEGALLY INCAPABLE OF EXCLUSION. BIOWARE PROVIDES TOR SERVICES ON A COMMERCIALLY REASONABLE BASIS AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS OR USE TOR SERVICES AT TIMES OR LOCATIONS OF YOUR CHOOSING, OR THAT BIOWARE WILL HAVE ADEQUATE CAPACITY FOR TOR SERVICES AS A WHOLE OR IN ANY SPECIFIC GEOGRAPHIC AREA.

TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH BIOWARE, LUCASARTS OR ITS LICENSORS IS TO STOP USING TOR SERVICES, AND TO CANCEL YOUR TOR ACCOUNT. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT BIOWARE, LUCASARTS, ITS LICENSORS AND AFFILIATES ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY ACT OR FAILURE TO ACT BY THEM OR ANY OTHER PERSON REGARDING CONDUCT, COMMUNICATION OR CONTENT ON TOR SERVICES OR USE OF TOR SOFTWARE. IN NO CASE SHALL BIOWARE, LUCASARTS OR ITS LICENSORS, AFFILIATES', EMPLOYEES', OFFICERS', OR DIRECTORS' (COLLECTIVELY, "TOR AFFILIATES") LIABILITY TO YOU EXCEED THE AMOUNT THAT YOU PAID TO BIOWARE FOR TOR SERVICES. IN NO CASE SHALL BIOWARE, LUCASARTS OR TOR AFFILIATES BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF TOR SERVICES, TOR SOFTWARE, THE INTERNET OR FOR ANY OTHER CLAIM RELATED IN ANY WAY TO YOUR USE OF TOR SERVICES OR ACCOUNTS. BECAUSE SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, IN SUCH STATES OR JURISDICTIONS, BIOWARE’S, LUCASARTS AND TOR AFFILIATES' LIABILITY SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. BIOWARE AND LUCASARTS DOES NOT ENDORSE, WARRANT OR GUARANTEE ANY THIRD PARTY PRODUCT OR SERVICE OFFERED THROUGH BIOWARE AND WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing contained in this Terms of Service limits BioWare’s and LucasArts liability to you for fraudulent misrepresentations, death or personal injury caused by BioWare’s or LucasArts' negligence, or any other liability to the extent such liability cannot be excluded or limited as a matter of applicable law.

So, if you want to complain - cancel your sub and walk away. The only person you have any right to be upset at is yourself if you either a) didn't read what you agreed to, or b) thought that you would never in any way get inconvenienced. This is pretty standard for MMO's by the way.

HOWEVER - I don't want you to cancel. I want you to keep giving Bioware money so EA doesn't push this to the F2P graveyard. Unless you just really hate the game and don't think it has any chance, just deal with the growing pains people! For as much as EU players have been inconvenienced by these downtime, I have as well. But I've also played these games since EQ launched - this will happen with any decent game. Bioware isn't the first to have bad timing with fixes, and won't be the last. Don't fool yourself into thinking that there will be a "perfect" setup with a MMO company.

Regards,

Kalantris

Oh get over yourself. For starters, Bioware is Canadian.