Rolling for companions...

Deepsquid

3rd time something like this has happened.

So I was going through a flashpoint with my Juggernaut. A shield generator dropped. An imperial agent rolled need and won. I asked why. The agent said "my companion can use it".

I hereby put everyone on notice. When I pug a flashpoint, I am going to roll on gear for any one of my companions, which pretty much means I'll be rolling on everything. I'm not gonna ask if it's cool or be polite about it. You know why...? Because the game allows it and cannot prevent it. If I don't do it, someone else will. Rolling on everything that you can possibly use is currently the optimal strategy in this game, by design. Not my fault, it's apparently the game designer's intention.

I MIGHT be nice and tell everyone at the beginning that I plan to do this.

NERD RAAAAAGE!

I play a healer and I only group with guildies who are cool with me rolling for an item for my companion if it is an upgrade. I know others may not be cool with it, so I only heal for friends. As a sith sorc healer, I am severely gimped solo without a decently geared Khem Val. Sometimes, Khem is our tank so it works out to everyones advantage when I have him geared well. I spend alot of time artificing, checking the kiosk and farming commendations to get him geared appropriate to my level. If an item pops that is better than I have on him to upgrade, ya I"ll roll need but it's rare. Now that being said, I only use Khem and I'm level 48. Khem and I are essentially siamese twins, which is... sorta creepy but it's the way it is. I don't on items that aren't his class, or items to gear other companions to strip down.

So, yes I will roll need on an item that is not of my player class, in specific circumstances. I won't roll if I know it's a great upgrade for one of my friends.

Notice that in two replies, there are two opposite opinions on this. The reason I intend to roll on gear for my companion is:

1. the disagreement exists, it is real.

2. the game allows it, the game appears to be designed to encourage this behavior.

3. If others are going to roll on gear for companions, it places me at a disadvantage to not roll on gear for my companion.

Notice that in two replies, there are two opposite opinions on this. The reason I intend to roll on gear for my companion is:

1. the disagreement exists, it is real.

2. the game allows it, the game appears to be designed to encourage this behavior.

3. If others are going to roll on gear for companions, it places me at a disadvantage to not roll on gear for my companion.

Well Bioware has stated you need to loot gear to keep your companions geared, and they are fully aware of the interesting aspects it will bring into the looting process.

The fact that you can does not mean you always should. Or that it is 'right' for that matter. There would be plenty of complaining if BW would not have implemented the option.

I would discuss this upon grouping though. Otherwise you will find out quickly and can adjust to what the others do. I personally see no justification for always choosing need.

Edited by Gokkus

There's a difference between "loot for my companion" and "loot for my companions".

I approve of the former. I disapprove of the later.

If you're a healing smuggler and you roll need on a strength shield, fine. You're rolling for your Wookie.

If you then roll on a aim shield, well. We've got problems. You don't NEED both Corso and your Wookie equipped. Healers need tanks. I get that. They don't need two though.

The fact that you can does not mean you always should. Or that it is 'right' for that matter. There would be plenty of complaining of BW would not have implemented the option.

I would discuss this upon grouping though. Otherwise you will find out quickly and can adjust to what the others do. I personally see no justification for always choosing need.

Bioware designed the game such that progressing in an instance is a co-operative undertaking, but distribution of rewards from an instance is a competitive undertaking.

When you are playing poker with strangers, do you discuss with them who is going to fold and who is not going to fold? If you are the only one playing cooperatively in an adversarial undertaking, you are guaranteed to loose, and can only win when others let you win.

Oh - you 'need' that gear for your companion? Oh well, I see - no of course - you go ahead and take it.

But you know what? Next flashpoint, why don't you just bring your companion, instead of me, ok? I mean - they're gonna be better equipped anyway, right?

See ya!

(and... /ignore)

There's a difference between "loot for my companion" and "loot for my companions".

I approve of the former. I disapprove of the later.

If you're a healing smuggler and you roll need on a strength shield, fine. You're rolling for your Wookie.

If you then roll on a aim shield, well. We've got problems. You don't NEED both Corso and your Wookie equipped. Healers need tanks. I get that. They don't need two though.

I thought about this too... but this approach, like the "don't roll for my companion" strategy requires that everyone agree. Pugs don't always agree. I offer the differences of opinion expressed here as proof that pugs don't agree.

Loot distribution is an adversarial game... we roll a random number and the highest roller wins. Simple adversarial game of chance. If you are the only one "being nice" you loose every time.

Bioware designed the game such that progressing in an instance is a co-operative undertaking, but distribution of rewards from an instance is a competitive undertaking.

When you are playing poker with strangers, do you discuss with them who is going to fold and who is not going to fold? If you are the only one playing cooperatively in an adversarial undertaking, you are guaranteed to loose, and can only win when others let you win.

If it was truely that competitive than BW would not have added the 'greed' button. It is of course everyones own business how (s)he perceives the other players, but groupmembers to me are never competitors. This is not how I experienced it either, people were more likely to apologise for pressing 'need' than they were to gloat.

It is a game, not business.

Edited by Gokkus

Not the first time this has come up. Would be nice to have a "Need" "Companion" and "Greed" option when rolling. It wouldn't eliminate the entire problem, (they would need to also lock gear to AC's when rolling Need and grey it out for gear that isn't primary for the player) but it would help groups where someone doesn't want to roll need and beat a player, but doesn't want to lose the gear on the random greed to someone who would otherwise just vendor it.

Oh - you 'need' that gear for your companion? Oh well, I see - no of course - you go ahead and take it.

But you know what? Next flashpoint, why don't you just bring your companion, instead of me, ok? I mean - they're gonna be better equipped anyway, right?

See ya!

(and... /ignore)

You cannot prevent this from happening by ignoring everyone that engages in this behavior. People can roll different characters. New players come along all the time. Bottom line is, the only way to consistently not get taken advantage of is to roll on everything you can possibly use.

But...wha?

I'm assuming that shield gen had str on if a jugg is rolling for it. I don't recall any agent companions being str based.

Good point. There was no reason for him to roll NEED on it. Better to ignore/black-list this one, as he/she has no idea what's going on.

You cannot prevent this from happening by ignoring everyone that engages in this behavior. People can roll different characters. New players come along all the time. Bottom line is, the only way to consistently not get taken advantage of is to roll on everything you can possibly use.

Rubbish! Get down in the hole that you're in, ya grubby loot snatcher? Not a chance. Follow the rules or get dumped. Simple.

3rd time something like this has happened.

So I was going through a flashpoint with my Juggernaut. A shield generator dropped. An imperial agent rolled need and won. I asked why. The agent said "my companion can use it".

I hereby put everyone on notice. When I pug a flashpoint, I am going to roll on gear for any one of my companions, which pretty much means I'll be rolling on everything. I'm not gonna ask if it's cool or be polite about it. You know why...? Because the game allows it and cannot prevent it. If I don't do it, someone else will. Rolling on everything that you can possibly use is currently the optimal strategy in this game, by design. Not my fault, it's apparently the game designer's intention.

I MIGHT be nice and tell everyone at the beginning that I plan to do this.

NERD RAAAAAGE!

Come on bro. Don't be a coward. Tell us your server and character name. :rolleyes:

Because if somebody does something to you that makes you mad, the correct response to it is to sink to their level and do the same thing to people that aren't that person.

I'll be just fine passing on anything that I don't absolutely need, and only needing ONE thing per instance, and keep my self-respect intact.

Not the first time this has come up. Would be nice to have a "Need" "Companion" and "Greed" option when rolling. It wouldn't eliminate the entire problem, (they would need to also lock gear to AC's when rolling Need and grey it out for gear that isn't primary for the player) but it would help groups where someone doesn't want to roll need and beat a player, but doesn't want to lose the gear on the random greed to someone who would otherwise just vendor it.

I like this idea. Need, Companion, Greed or Reverse Engineer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.