Cut scene = player ambush

jaGator

I understand why there are cut scenes for the end bosses of many missions and especially class missions. It seems a crucial element of the story.

However, unless you play a tank (and even generally not then) it is incredibly suboptimal to start a fight (generally the toughest fight of the quest) surrounded by mobs with one's defenses expired.

Yet this seems to be almost the norm. I can see talking to someone if there is a non-violent option, but as it is this is not often the case. All options involve death.

Instead the cutscene setup just makes me fight at a disadvantge and die so that I could then start a fight normally. Maybe just putting a delay between the end of a cut scene and the transition of the NPC from green to red would fix this.

I've had no problems as a sage. its usually obvious when a cut-scene is going to end in combat and it takes a couple seconds for the enemies to spawn. I use this time to buff anything that needs to be buffed, send my companion in, then CC any mobs that need to be CCed.

I understand why there are cut scenes for the end bosses of many missions and especially class missions. It seems a crucial element of the story.

However, unless you play a tank (and even generally not then) it is incredibly suboptimal to start a fight (generally the toughest fight of the quest) surrounded by mobs with one's defenses expired.

Yet this seems to be almost the norm. I can see talking to someone if there is a non-violent option, but as it is this is not often the case. All options involve death.

Instead the cutscene setup just makes me fight at a disadvantge and die so that I could then start a fight normally. Maybe just putting a delay between the end of a cut scene and the transition of the NPC from green to red would fix this.

Good suggestion - hate getting thrown into an Elite fight with them already beating down on me when you could see it coming a mile away. Don't mind the odd surprise where someone turns on me unexpectedly, but taken to extremes at times. Just been a cheap death when I then come back and blow them away.

Ditto

Playing a Smuggler or Agent, I have many times had to run for cover while an elite and his henchmen shoot me in the back side. Some of those fights are tough enough without starting at half life.

Same thing for anyone who usually relies on stealth to start a fight.

Except for the stealth thing (can't help you with that) there's a buff you get when entering cutscenes that stops your buffs from ticking off. Pop all your defenses prior to talking to someone if you know it's going to be a fight and they'll still be there when the talking is done and the fighting starts.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Most players, including myself, have a flow for dealing with various types of camps. Usually that flow does not include starting right in their face without a clear understand of what type of enemies they are.

I have died in encounters that I easily won when I could approach them on my own terms because of this.

SI ending spoiler

During the final fight on Corellia vs. Darth Thanaton I was able to kill him on my first try. However I died to his two stupid silver assassin droids because of this very thing

Edited by SpikeRosered

Well, BH has this one guy, something Barrows. You must have Skadge to start the fight. Skadge dies quick, you don't have Mako to heal you, and a bunch of droid joins in to finish you half way into the fight.

Worst part is this one boots you from the instance when you die. You must start the conversation over each time, so you stuck with it.

My main is an Infiltration Shadow. I almost never had any problem entering stealth right away after a cut-scene that ended up in combat. There seems to be a bit of a grace period for most. Some of the bosses engaged immediately, but that's what I have a companion for.

Way back when I started and it happened the first time, yeah it was a surprise. But after once you should learn to prepare. They almost always start with a "speak to so an so" or you need to walk withing a certain distance. Now I just clean up the loot from what you killed getting there, get back to full health, have the right companion for the upcoming fight and then start the last quest.

Rather refreshing that the game requires some thought.

On my Sorc, I pop a shield up on Khem Val just before I go into a room, and the timer doesn't tick down while in the cut scene, so once the fight starts, he is shielded, and I can send him off immediately to pew pew the boss. It is rather a cool mechanic and glad BW allows it, because it lets you prepare for those end fights right after a cut scene.

I agree. Also.. you know when you beat down a boss until right before he dies, it stops, then you can click on him to talk.. like he is going to surrender to you or something? I have made a point to always heal-up, buff-up etc BEFORE I click on it to continue the converstation... cause some times, certain bosses will come out fighting again at full health, while I am not. I learned my lesson after that happened to me twice.

Well, BH has this one guy, something Barrows. You must have Skadge to start the fight. Skadge dies quick, you don't have Mako to heal you, and a bunch of droid joins in to finish you half way into the fight.

Worst part is this one boots you from the instance when you die. You must start the conversation over each time, so you stuck with it.

OMG I hate those! When killing trash, running away from elite's starting position, die, res, regenerate back to full, stealth (if applicable), and open is pretty much the only viable way of winning it's especially annoying being forced to start again.