Subscription could cost The old republic

Melaugh

Guild Wars 2 which is coming out soon with no subscription is getting some major hype and lots of my friends are preparing to get it, yet despite me showing them how amazing this game is and they all love star wars they refuse to get get it all due to the high price of subscriptions and there for is costing the game a major amount of players.

Play GW2 & SWTOR......? I will.

This. With no sub I will play it AND swtor, and will probably be playing D3 as well as it comes out this year, and probably SC2 expansion.

Having other games coming out that have no sub is actually a good thing, because people don't need to make a choice on which one they can pay for.

Funny. I've read nothing about GW 2 recently. Sounds to me more like you and your friends are just GW fanboys who want it out soon. There's nothing wrong with that but it doesn't herald the doom of The Old Republic. Edited by Jonlinar

While I'm sure a lot of us appreciate the use of your crystal ball at determining whether or not subscription based MMOs can hold their own against free to play maybe we can look into it for more content and patches? I don't mean this in a rude way but the two are completely different as GW2 focuses on a kind of fantasy and almost steampunk approach versus SWTOR's high sci-fi/sci-fi approach. I can't make comments on how active the introduction of content will be on GW2 but it's accepted that if folks pay a subscription then they should see results.

Now will the introduction of GW2 cause a hiccup in Bioware's new MMO? Well we don't know right now and it totally depends on what people want to do with their time. For all we know people could abandon WoW in favor of GW2 versus people jumping from this game. If you want to start talking about hype and games snagging customers from each other then you're going to be talking for a long time. SWTOR should do all right as long as they fix what needs to be fixed and keep players interested in shelling out the money month-by-month.

Funny. I've read nothing about GW 2. Sounds to me more like you and your friends are just GW fanboys who want it out soon. There's nothing wrong with that but it doesn't herald the doom of The Old Republic.

Actually GW2 is going to be amazing. Check out the videos for it that are out there. I'm not a fanboi, I hated the original GW with a passion, but this one doesn't look bad, in fact it looks like it could be revolutionary.

Guild Wars 2 which is coming out soon with no subscription is getting some major hype and lots of my friends are preparing to get it, yet despite me showing them how amazing this game is and they all love star wars they refuse to get get it all due to the high price of subscriptions and there for is costing the game a major amount of players.

OH wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder.

Actually GW2 is going to be amazing. Check out the videos for it that are out there. I'm not a fanboi, I hated the original GW with a passion, but this one doesn't look bad, in fact it looks like it could be revolutionary.

a video can make anything look amazing...

Funny. I've read nothing about GW 2 recently. Sounds to me more like you and your friends are just GW fanboys who want it out soon. There's nothing wrong with that but it doesn't herald the doom of The Old Republic.

I hate, HATE guild wars 1, and let me tell you, guild wars 2 looks pretty awesome.

Revolutionary? Please name a few things that are revolutionary so that I can understand this. The concept of revolutionary in the MMO world is pretty limiting since people want to easily progress through the game while producers want to maintain the carrot in front of the player's face to keep them playing. All of these fancy mechanics are really just one rehash after another. It looks nice but will it cause folks to say that it revolutionized the MMO gaming-scape?

I tried several times to like Guild Wars and just couldn't.

I also don't like the fact that you could create a max level character without earning it.

Makes PVP completely even. No one has any advantage other than the actual skill of the player. Oh I can't wait to hear the whining when noobs get pwned, and they try to blame it on the other guy having better gear. Lmao

They were saying the same thing about TOR when STO 1st started up, intill you play the game your self you cant really juge it,

i do think TOR is a great game btw :D

Hey there!

We are going to go ahead and close this thread, as this discussion is primarily discussing another game and considered off-topic. We welcome your feedback but ask that threads on the forums are firmly centered around discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Thanks!