SW:TOR, place for (semi) hardcore players?

First, let me start by telling that i haven't personally experienced nightmare mode yet. I've heard that it's only a nightmare because of bugs, but i'll leave that to the people that have actually been there, to decide.

My guild has just finished EV and Karagga on normal. I realise normal modes are meant to be puggable, so i'll just leave my comments on those 2 operations. We also did HM EV afterwards. We got 4/5 in an hour or 3. The hardest part of EV HM was actually the 2 pillar-turrets right at the start (we only had 1 ranged dps). After we found out how to not bug the puzzle, everything else was easy. I heard SOA is a challenge, but it better be 10 times as hard as the other bosses..

The thing i'm really worried about, is that we will have cleared NM mode months before the next operations tier. We're not really a really hardcore guild, but we do take operations quite seriously. It's where we find out fun in the game. Working together to down new bosses. But at this alarming pace, we're going to be standing in the fleet next to our mailbox, dancing, having not much to do.

Since i started the game, i've been getting the feeling that this game is aimed at casuals. Now don't get me wrong, i find nothing wrong with that idea itself. But where does that leave the more hardore players? Clearing content in a few weeks, then setting on our behinds? Switch game for a few weeks/months, waiting for new content?

HM Soa should be really easy now, I haven't done it since 1.1 was released, but we did NM in like 3 attempts, and it only took 3 attempts because of slack, prior to 1.1 HM Soa was really tricky, extremely RNG, and an absolute pain if you didn't have someone to soak ball dmg, which we didn't but eventually got it down amidst all the bugs, and it is one of my favourite boss kills ever.

Since the nerf it's extremely lacklustre, the only NM boss we're struggling with is Jarg and Sorno, as we're running one tank, but I'm pretty sure we've overlooked a mechanic so that should be sorted soon.

But yeah, it all depends on how quickly the content comes, next reset we will be 10/10 nm 8 man, but we're going to maybe expand to 16 man, get the timed run titles etc, get everyone fully geared - hopefully this will keep us busy until the next content arrives.

Bioware has aimed SWTOR at the casuals, yes.

And?

There's no "and". As i said, i don't have a problem with it, i just want to know what i'm playing. I mean, if this game was aimed more at hard-core players, i could whine about how stuff isn't hard enough. But knowing it's aimed primarily at casuals and doesn't intent to cater much for the more hard-core players, i know that would be futile.

Yeah, the MMO genre has - for some time - been moving away from the whole "hardcore" focus and shifted more to a "casual" focus.

Terms in quotes because they're extremely hazy terms that can cover any wide range of things. Neither is intended to have any negative connotation.

Unfortunately the mentality of most players now is that if they fail at anything, it must be bugged. That's not really a hardcore or casual attitude, it just seems to permeate the entire population now. I guess that's why you see so many threads about certain class quest bosses being "impossible" (Jedi Knight final mission, woo!) or some Flashpoint bosses being "impossible" even though pretty much all of them pre-hardmode can be done with 2 people.

End result is that if you're into big challenges and tough content, you're going to find it difficult to come across, because as soon as the general population becomes aware of it, they're going to demand it be "fixed".

End result is that if you're into big challenges and tough content, you're going to find it difficult to come across, because as soon as the general population becomes aware of it, they're going to demand it be "fixed".

Yeah, i was afraid of that. So far the only challenges we've encountered, were G4 B3 and SOA. SOA was only hard because of the extreme RNG and loads of bugs. G4 was a genuinely good fight though. Even though we got him after 2 hours, it was a really entertaining fight. The main thing that made it hard for us was having only 1 ranged, but hey, if we were all ranged we might have just rolled over that boss too, like all the other ones.

Nightmare is unfortunately very easy.

No new mechanics as you may expect, just a few % shoved on here and there.

Soa was a challenge on hard mode before the patch and impossible on Nightmare pretty much. We had to work hard to get the kill on Hard mode in 16 man and it felt like a promising start to raiding progression, with a challenging end boss on hard mode as you would expect. Normal did of course cater to the casuals very well in my opinion with the majority of the instance being easily doable, with Soa probably being a nice challenge.

They patched it, we went in and 1 shot the Nightmare version - despite having to deal with several fight breaking bugs. (The pillar in last phase that is supposed to break the bosses shield, failed twice despite it being a direct hit)

This is a single player game with an easy way to party and see what is some of the stuff other people are doing, and a few "stereotypical mmo" features tacked on. A little like most MMOs out there are the polar opposite: a gear or level grind fest with a few story elements.

They never hid that was their goal, several interviews said so. People just didn't listen.