Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Partial warzone solution: Boost everything

Chiricahua

That is what Guild Wars 2 is doing right from the start in their pvp. Direct from their website:

"Everyone plays at the same level in Guild Wars 2 PvP, where skill and strategy provide players with the winning edge. All players are set to max level and given all the skills and gear they need to meet their opponents on even terms."

It might seem slightly opportunistic to steal their thunder, but if it works why not. It would mean back tracking on brackets. Queue times would be less for everyone in warzones. You would still have the faction imbalance though. The boost wouldn't work for Illum. You'd still have to find a remedy for that.

That is what bolstering was for this game really.

SW:Tor and GW are entirely different games, and what works in GW doesn't work in SW.

Bolstering did bring everyone upto level 50 but this game also has gear progression and expertise so it didn't work. Unless they remove the gear progression, I can't see it working, sadly.

What it ultimately comes down to, is that this isn't a PvP game, it's a PvE game with a PvP minigame/addon ;) Because of this items dictate PvP ability.

Edited by Soazak

That is what Guild Wars 2 is doing right from the start in their pvp. Direct from their website:

"Everyone plays at the same level in Guild Wars 2 PvP, where skill and strategy provide players with the winning edge. All players are set to max level and given all the skills and gear they need to meet their opponents on even terms."

It might seem slightly opportunistic to steal their thunder, but if it works why not. It would mean back tracking on brackets. Queue times would be less for everyone in warzones. You would still have the faction imbalance though. The boost wouldn't work for Illum. You'd still have to find a remedy for that.

Everytime I hear that, it sounds so unappealing. Kinda feels like PVP of that fashion loses it's lure.

I was sort of thinking the same thing last night. Basically bump the player to 49/50 scaling, and give them a balanced spec a based on what they have the most talent points in (with current talent choices overriding defaults).

The only drawback is that all it would take is a silly bug to have a level 10 stuck with level 50 talents outside the warzone.

Illum... what it needs is a bolster buff... if it's 5:1... buff the smaller side so that each player can fight fairly 5v1

That is what bolstering was for this game really.

SW:Tor and GW are entirely different games, and what works in GW doesn't work in SW.

Bolstering did bring everyone upto level 50 but this game also has gear progression and expertise so it didn't work. Unless they remove the gear progression, I can't see it working, sadly.

I'm sure GW2 will still have gear progression for end game pve content. Not only do they add health points, but also top notch gear and level capped skills to compete in pvp. It would work in SWTOR. If they had it, the only griefing in warzones would be those who claim other classes are over powered.

Illum... what it needs is a bolster buff... if it's 5:1... buff the smaller side so that each player can fight fairly 5v1

This would make me lol so hard. I would roll a vanguard if they implemented this and never die then. Regardless, this would not work. You are simplifying this far too much. Let's say there are 4 Republicans and 10 Imps. You bolster the Republicans right? But what if they are all solo or 1 is solo and the Imps are all in a zerg ball ops group? So bolstered for a 4v10 but he is 1v10? Won't work. And tanks would be indestructible, while stealth classes (mainly OP and Scoundrel, but more the Scoundrels) would be OP as hell.

Everytime I hear that, it sounds so unappealing. Kinda feels like PVP of that fashion loses it's lure.

The big difference is that GW always has and will have ladders to see how good you are doing. Competitive PvP needs only that, not this endless carrot-on-a-stick equipment horsepoo.

Look at it a bit like sports. I doubt the players/athletes do it for profit (=gear). They do it for the fame and for being better (=ladder).

I'd love to have a system like GW(1) where everyone had the same equip. You don't win because you put hours of playing into getting equip by getting beaten to pieces to then beat others to pieces on their way to gear.

You win because of strategy (how to put your individual equipment together from the parts that you and everyone else gets), strategy (which skills to take with you; roughly equals the talent system), more strategy (how to put your team together) and how you're actually playing.

I prefer a system like that all day long to the garbage WoW introduced.

Plus I'd say it's way easier to balance if you don't have to take into account all different equip levels like class x being underdogs until they hit a cap of expertise when they start to morph into unstoppable killing machines.

But oh well it is how it is and I don't ever expect it to change. I'm back to losing for getting my equip again.

Edited by Cylide

This would make me lol so hard. I would roll a vanguard if they implemented this and never die then. Regardless, this would not work. You are simplifying this far too much. Let's say there are 4 Republicans and 10 Imps. You bolster the Republicans right? But what if they are all solo or 1 is solo and the Imps are all in a zerg ball ops group? So bolstered for a 4v10 but he is 1v10? Won't work. And tanks would be indestructible, while stealth classes (mainly OP and Scoundrel, but more the Scoundrels) would be OP as hell.

Like I said, the only griefing would be those complaining about other classes as over powered. What you are saying is basically a false flag argument. You can complain about over powered classes, but it does not make it so. Also, groups should have the option to queue against other groups eventually. Only way that would work is cross server.

Sounds like a stupid idea. I like the fact that skill matters in pvp, but if i work hard i DO EXPECT to get new gear that is better than what others have, so i dont have to work that hard to kill people anymore. Also, i like to feel powerful... I will not be playing GW2.

Sounds like a stupid idea. I like the fact that skill matters in pvp, but if i work hard i DO EXPECT to get new gear that is better than what others have, so i dont have to work that hard to kill people anymore. Also, i like to feel powerful... I will not be playing GW2.

After another month, what will be the difference? Most level 50's will have gear, skills, and HP as good as you. The only weakling you can gank will be the brand new level 50. Your statement is convoluted logic (upside down logic).

Edited by Chiricahua

Really? Damn, I had high hopes for GW2...

After another month, what will be the difference? Most level 50's will have gear, skills, and HP as good as you. The only weakling you can gank will be the brand new level 50. Your statement is convoluted logic (upside down logic).

But you know everyone worked to get that gear. They all went through that "initiation" to acquire, and move up in the ranks, all while learning and perfecting strategies, skills, and timing.

GW2 sounds like it'll be 10 year old Bobby saying "HAY GUIS, LETS TRY PVP AFTER WE KILL THIS LEVEL 3" joining up, and running around the arena saying "TIS IS FUN GUYS" contributing absolutely nothing to the team, while the ones who enjoy PVP and are skilled die a little inside.

Edited by Sykologist

But you know everyone worked to get that gear. They all went through that "initiation" to acquire, and move up in the ranks, all while learning and perfecting strategies, skills, and timing.

If getting beaten for 2 weeks is your definition of "work", I don't want you to be my boss.

If getting beaten for 2 weeks is your definition of "work", I don't want you to be my boss.

Yes, some will take longer if they are in horrible teams and/or unskilled. Granted, I've had 4 losing streaks, but finally that win with a coordinated competent team just tastes that much better. And it's even sweeter if that one win got you a champion bag with gear in it.

GW2 seems to lack that "it was all worth it" feeling in the end. Don't get me wrong though, it will be an amazing game for casuals.

Edited by Sykologist

GW2 seems to lack that "it was all worth it" feeling in the end. Don't get me wrong though, it will be an amazing game for casuals.

Dude you're just soo wrong.

Professional gamers are the ones that don't need the gearing aspect. They want a solid ladder system. Being officially in the top 50 players/teams of EU or US or even the world is far more motivation for them than welfare epics. Those are for casuals.

Professional gamers are the ones that don't need the gearing aspect. They want a solid ladder system. Being officially in the top 50 players/teams of EU or US or even the world is far more motivation for them than welfare epics. Those are for casuals.

Then, as a professional gamer, why the hell would I buy GW2 for PVP when there is already League of Legends, DOTA, WoW Arena's, HoN, etc. who are already have an established solid ladder system, tournaments (whose awards are upwards of 1 million dollars+), and viewership.

If you think GW2 screams "professional gamers" then you are simply jaded.

Edited by Sykologist

This.

boosting stats mean that anyone who avoids the zerg will have hugely unbalanced fights as the 1 lower pop char is boosted way past the 1 player in the higher pop faction and will always win.

This.

boosting stats mean that anyone who avoids the zerg will have hugely unbalanced fights as the 1 lower pop char is boosted way past the 1 player in the higher pop faction and will always win.

It could be done as a vicinity thing, ie you are bolstered based on all players around central assault, etc.

Then, as a professional gamer, why the hell would I buy GW2 for PVP when there is already League of Legends, DOTA, WoW Arena's, HoN, etc. who are already have an established solid ladder system, tournaments (whose awards are upwards of 1 million dollars+), and viewership.

Why the hell would you want to buy SCII, DotA2, LoL when there's DotA, WCIII, SC and CS?

Personal preference.

I agree with you, casuals are the ones who want the gear. This is also why they have it in the game, and will continue to have it, as you get more money catering to casuals then you get from catering to the professional gamers.

Edited by Bnol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.