The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Grapple Minimum Range

jibboo

Meh I'm happy with the minimum range of grapple. If I'm any closer I can put the hurt on someone anyway.

The main thing that bugs me about grapple is that it's impacted by resolve, I understand why it's impacted but I still find it annoying to have my gap closer shut down by the white bar.

I definitely think the minimum range needs to be lowered. From a PVE perspective (I tank a lot of FPs) the minimum range is frustratingly just outside the typical mob spacing. I find myself more often than not having to back up a couple paces to grapple a mob in. Plus, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have such a long minimum range. Like, really? I can hook a cable to you and pull you to me from 10 to 30 meters, but not at 5, or 8?

In any case, the end result is that a PT tank needs to spend precious seconds backing up trying to find the minimum range. I've gotten to where if it's close, I just don't try it because I don't want to waste time targetting the mob I want to grapple and looking at the icon just to find I'm inside the minimum range and then I have to decide whether to back up or just switch back to my original target and forget it. I love this ability, think it's one of the best and coolest things they have done for the bounty hunter class and just want it to be made a little less frustrating, especially in hectic multi mob group/flashpoint situations.

I definitely think the minimum range needs to be lowered. From a PVE perspective (I tank a lot of FPs) the minimum range is frustratingly just outside the typical mob spacing. I find myself more often than not having to back up a couple paces to grapple a mob in. Plus, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have such a long minimum range. Like, really? I can hook a cable to you and pull you to me from 10 to 30 meters, but not at 5, or 8?

In any case, the end result is that a PT tank needs to spend precious seconds backing up trying to find the minimum range. I've gotten to where if it's close, I just don't try it because I don't want to waste time targetting the mob I want to grapple and looking at the icon just to find I'm inside the minimum range and then I have to decide whether to back up or just switch back to my original target and forget it. I love this ability, think it's one of the best and coolest things they have done for the bounty hunter class and just want it to be made a little less frustrating, especially in hectic multi mob group/flashpoint situations.

You know...it actually might be faster to just run a few meters forward and start wailing on the mob than to backpedal slowly until u can grapple it. Most of our attacks are 4-10m anyway. Less timespent and no wasted GCD. Just saying.

One of the first things I would do on a PT is to unbind S, bind A and D to Strafe left and right. There's always an ability you can use for threat within the minimum range. If you use strafe to move back, you will get in the minimum range for grapple in no time in that gcd you flame burst, rapid shots or AoE Taunt. Above method works the same in PvP too.

You know...it actually might be faster to just run a few meters forward and start wailing on the mob than to backpedal slowly until u can grapple it. Most of our attacks are 4-10m anyway. Less timespent and no wasted GCD. Just saying.

The problem can come when you have one mob of a group that's out of AOE range, but still under the grapple minimum range.

Also, by the fact that we're considering grappling the mob, either taunt is on cooldown or the mob is planted and doing ranged dps. Either way, the whole idea of grappling this particular mob is to get him closer to both yourself and the pack. This makes it easier to switch targets and melee, position him for flamethrower, flame sweep, etc. It also makes it easier to tell when he switches off of you and starts mauling your healer. If I wanted to spend all my time running back and forth chasing mobs around, I'd just play a Jugg.

Grapple needs to be unaffected by resolve.

No; Because it gives you control of the player. You have control over where they are going. They lose control. Resolve goes into effect on all abilities that cause loss control of character.

What DOES need to be done is that Jet Charge and Grapple need to switch places. Jet Charge needs to be base while grapple needs to be a talent in the tank tree.

I'd love grapple's minimum range to be reduced. Especially in PvP, I'm an ******e Shieldtech PT in Huttball. So many times I find a player next to me deliberately exploiting my grapple deadzone. They output too much DPS for me to handle them, so my only option is to stand on flamevents and yank them in. But they exploit it so that I can't pull them on and they successfully stay outside and that leaves me to unfortunately die.