Auto Turn

TwitchingFiber

Auto turn needs to be removed. For Melee characters getting behind our enemy is our number 1 skill. Having a tracer missile spammer or a sorcerer spinning in circles it basically nurfs us.

If a melee player has a remote idea of how to play his character he/she knows they need to get behind the enemy. With Auto turn on, we can hardly ever do what we need to do. Unless we stun the player or they target someone else. Yeah, finding a player that's fighting someone else works too.

Strafing behind your opponent is an essential part of a Melee class. That's where the part that takes skill comes out.

Now the PvE aspect (While questing) it's the same issue, you can't get behind the guys unless your companion has the threat or you sneak up on them.

All in all, if BW turns auto turn off. It will benefit everyone, it'll make everything better.

Just my 2 cents.

Auto turn needs to be removed. For Melee characters getting behind our enemy is our number 1 skill. Having a tracer missile spammer or a sorcerer spinning in circles it basically nurfs us.

If a melee player has a remote idea of how to play his character he/she knows they need to get behind the enemy. With Auto turn on, we can hardly ever do what we need to do. Unless we stun the player or they target someone else. Yeah, finding a player that's fighting someone else works too.

Strafing behind your opponent is an essential part of a Melee class. That's where the part that takes skill comes out.

Now the PvE aspect (While questing) it's the same issue, you can't get behind the guys unless your companion has the threat or you sneak up on them.

All in all, if BW turns auto turn off. It will benefit everyone, it'll make everything better.

Just my 2 cents.

Care to explain how to turn in cover?

So... basically what you want is for the mob to stand there like a dummy with his back to you while you whack away?

That's how I got your post anyway.

You already mentinoed how backstab in two ways, either companion or stealth, what's the matter?

If you got their full attention, how would you think being able to backstab was possible?

*Stun them and get behind or whatever, it works fine as is, of course they will turn to you if you attack them and keep their attention. If you grab attention from your companion, just shed it.

Really? So I have to get out of cover, then get in cover, then out of cover, then in cover again? Amazing PvP ideas you have there.

Even out of cover you will still do mass damage, think about all the other people who don't have cover. I know pushing a button to get into cover is tough, and takes a lot of time to do.

Auto turn doesn't just benefit melee classes, it will benefit everyone too. Because getting behind or away from an enemy is essential for everyone.

Really? So I have to get out of cover, then get in cover, then out of cover, then in cover again? Amazing PvP ideas you have there.

What he wants is the old WoW tactic where a 1-on-1 battle was a guaranteed win for the melee player because they could run right through the caster and the caster would have his ability canceled and be helpless. The caster turns around and starts casting again. Melee runs through them again. Rinse and repeat.

So... basically what you want is for the mob to stand there like a dummy with his back to you while you whack away?

That's how I got your post anyway.

You already mentinoed how backstab in two ways, either companion or stealth, what's the matter?

If you got their full attention, how would you think being able to backstab was possible?

*Stun them and get behind or whatever, it works fine as is, of course they will turn to you if you attack them and keep their attention. If you grab attention from your companion, just shed it.

So you're saying that someone who can cast while auto spinning is a good thing?

Nobody said anything about them standing still, have you ever played a game w/o auto turn? They still attack, you just have to actually use skill and get behind them, with auto turn you cannot.

Even out of cover you will still do mass damage, think about all the other people who don't have cover. I know pushing a button to get into cover is tough, and takes a lot of time to do.

Auto turn doesn't just benefit melee classes, it will benefit everyone too. Because getting behind or away from an enemy is essential for everyone.

There's no "mass damage" out of cover. You're thinking about OPs. And removing auto turn will require complete class overhaul (all classes) and that's just not gonna happen.

Edited by Shendar

Do you even player a sniper?

You do know that the only way that will work is that everyone now has to go one spec, to JUST compete?

MM takes a 70% DPS Loss outside Cover

No Snipe

No Ambush

No Explosive probe

No Series of shots

No Followthrough

Edited by Mooseb

I play an alt operative. The only ability that I need to be behind someone for is my backstab, so I use it as my opener, or I use it after a stun.

I've yet to do an encounter where I failed and it was all because I couldn't backstab. If you have, you may be doing it wrong.

If this is consistently a problem for you, I suggest you use a tanking companion while soloing. I am only assuming it's a PVE problem as I have never had a problem getting behind a person in PVP.

There's no "mass damage" out of cover. You're thinking about OPs. And removing auto turn will require complete class overhaul (all classes) and that's just not gonna happen.

Lol? Complete class overhaul? Just to remove auto turn?

You guys act like this would be the first game ever to have no auto turn.

... what is this? There's an auto turn?! I've been struggling so hard trying to use my abilities on people that stand behind me. I'll have to look for this option now.

PS whoever those people are who stealth then stab in the back... I'm at my wits end trying to figure out how to protect against that. The amount of damage they do is insane.

... what is this? There's an auto turn?! I've been struggling so hard trying to use my abilities on people that stand behind me. I'll have to look for this option now.

That's what I was thinking; I didn't know there was an auto-turn.

Although thinking about it, lightning will continue to hit someone even if they run from being in front of you to being behind you, so long as they were in front of you when you cast it. I guess that's what they're complaining about. I'm not sure why.

What he wants is the old WoW tactic where a 1-on-1 battle was a guaranteed win for the melee player because they could run right through the caster and the caster would have his ability canceled and be helpless. The caster turns around and starts casting again. Melee runs through them again. Rinse and repeat.

Played a Mage, Hunter, Warlock...Until S2, never had any problems soloing melee. Too many people in WoW just didn't want to learn to kite worth a damn. It's the "classic" keep melee away. Melee were a joke, and the only people who came remotely close to winning a duel were lucky proc Stormherald Mace spec or Ret pally luck.

One of the major reasons why people had to learn to kite in WoW was simply because of auto attack. By combining that with walking through avatars, it made casting a 2s spell into a 4s spell, so people had to learn to create space.

However in this game, things are different, kiting is not encouraged as much, and especially for Sniper where so much of the mechanics rely heavily on turreting.

I neither think it's good or bad, as I find kiting melee as the epitome of making them look embarassing, but I do like that Bioware went a different route with some of the ranged specs.

Edited by Chaosmagistrate

RDPS like Sages/Inqs need to stand still to cast a spell, unless it's an instant.

That means we can't run around like a crazy person while doing great damage..

Which means if you are on us and we have a spell going, and you then decide to run through me, my spell would end.

Without CD (Collision Detection) you must be crazy.

I'm really not even sure what benefit 'melee' get from being behind a target, and this is from a level 50 Marauder.

Sins/Ops can backstab, and... we don't get cleaved in PvE. That's about it. If you can't win a fight against a turreting ranged it wasn't because you couldn't get behind them.

TOR's spell mechanics are different than WoW. It's really hard to compare casters(as in cast bar users) from both games.

As I said, I personally find turreting distatsteful, but the way TOR's damage numbers and cc works, it does not facilitate kiting. The only spec that looks to be very kite heavy would be a Balance Sage and its equivalent Imperial counterpart. Sniper kiting is a bit tricky because of resolve and half of their CCs requiring cover. And Troopers are siege tanks.

So it's the game mechanics...they went a different route in how ranged should defend themselves. It's different.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.