Adv class switching Idea

Xraze

Ok, I think that making the choice for picking your Adv class is very difficult and you might regret it and get stuck with it. You should be able to switch your Adv class from 10-25 with no cost/limited amount. So if you pick something you don't like playing as, you should know while lvling those 15 lvls. Now, I know alot of poeple lvl 25+ would be angry since they don't have a chance to switch anymore. So give all current existing lvl 26-50 characters 1 chance to swtich their Adv class and make it a limited time, I.E from February 2/1 until March 3/1. And from that point you won't be able to change your Adv class from lvl 26+ anymore.

Anyone agree? ( Please keep this civil )

I would have loved to switch my 50 Merc to a Powertech so I could tank instead of heal, but instead I just rolled a Powertech.

Saying that, I have abandoned my Operative, as I should have gone Sniper. Would love to do a quest chain to switch back, or pay a few thousand creds to do so.

I would have loved to switch my 50 Merc to a Powertech so I could tank instead of heal, but instead I just rolled a Powertech.

Saying that, I have abandoned my Operative, as I should have gone Sniper. Would love to do a quest chain to switch back, or pay a few thousand creds to do so.

The problem with advanced class switching at 50 is that the two advanced classes that come from each class play so incredibly differently from each other you'd basically have someone stepping into a new class they'd never played before.

The difference between playing an operative and a sniper is night and day - having played both to the high 40s, I can say with confidence that it would make as much sense to allow someone to switch between them at a high level as it would to allow someone to switch from, say, jedi guardian to smuggler sawbones. They're completely different playstyles.

I can more easily see the point made by the OP - an extremely limited window, say 4-5 levels, where it would be possible to switch to feel them out. After around level 15, though, no. Reroll and learn how to play the class by playing it at that point.

Maybe they ought to have a 'trial period' just after selecting it at level 10 - but honestly, you wouldn't ask to be able to change, on a whim, from a warlock to a mage in WoW - and this is what this is equivalent to.

If they're going to allow it at all, after a brief trial period after level 10, it ought to be insanely expensive. Like, 5 million cred.

I'd certainly be against being able to change Adv. Class in any meaningful way, don't get me wrong, but it would be nice indeed if there was a "trial period" as suggested where you could change your mind.

In the first week or so after I bought the game I had a few classes I levelled to 10, looked at the advanced classes and thought "Hmm yep this one looks great!" and then by level 12 I had already realised something like... "Actually this isn't what I thought it would be / I don't like the animations / or whatever" and then was faced with having to level 1-10 again through the same story with the same class just because a single wrong decision based on limited information. In other games, where you decide your class at level 1, it's not a problem if you start and play for a couple of levels and realise it's not for you. But when you don't really pick your class until level 10 in this game, it's a bit harsh when you make the wrong choice.

I imagine plenty of people have had similar experiences. A 2-5 level grace period might be nice.

In another MMO, I played a class that could only DPS and Heal. When I decided I wanted to tank, I rerolled a class that could tank.

Thats just it though. Powertech and Merc are very similar. Most of the "spells" are the same. In fact I was playing Powertech as Pyro which is the shared tree :)

I see your point with respect to other classes, for example Op/Sniper and Sorc/Assassin.

I don't think you guys understood, I mentioned a LIMITED CURRENT time to switch your Adv class at lvl 26+ that means that in a month you WON'T be able to change your Adv class 26+ ever. This is just so that if you made your toon before the ability to switch at 10-25 you didn't have the chance therfore you will have a chance only for a limited time though, The next generation WON'T be able to change their Adv class from lvl 25+ EVER.

Can't say I see the reason behind these "trial" ideas I've seen.

Why not just let people respec their AC? The most audacious change would be a Sorcerer into an Assassin, which is only as crazy as a Resto/Balance dual-spec druid in WoW changing to feral to tank or melee DPS.

Just give the advanced class NPC's a real purpose, charge people, maybe give it a modest cooldown, and be done.

Can't say I see the reason behind these "trial" ideas I've seen.

Why not just let people respec their AC? The most audacious change would be a Sorcerer into an Assassin, which is only as crazy as a Resto/Balance dual-spec druid in WoW changing to feral to tank or melee DPS.

Just give the advanced class NPC's a real purpose, charge people, maybe give it a modest cooldown, and be done.

It could cause problems though, for example If I'm a Marauder and I re-spec Juggenaut. All of my gear is useless since it needs to be Heavy not medium.

It could cause problems though, for example If I'm a Marauder and I re-spec Juggenaut. All of my gear is useless since it needs to be Heavy not medium.

So you get medium gear for your alternate AC.

Same as in WoW. If you are a resto druid in spellcaster gear who wants to tank, you just heal some dungeons, greed some gear, then respec.

I'm all for dual-speccing within your AC. But not change your AC. To go from Merc healer to Powertech tank is like going from Shaman to Warrior in WoW. Two completely different play styles that most (not all) would have to completely relevel to understand how they play and how to play them well.

That hard nowadays to level to 10 to choose a different AC class?

No but it's hard to level to 50 again while choosing a different AC class.

[Yay~~ Another one of those thread that has being talked to death.]

Read the *********** OP.

Edited by Xraze

Thats just it though. Powertech and Merc are very similar. Most of the "spells" are the same. In fact I was playing Powertech as Pyro which is the shared tree :)

I see your point with respect to other classes, for example Op/Sniper and Sorc/Assassin.

They are 100% different classes though, so you need to re-roll. Just live with it, this is never going to happen.