If We Aren't *Allowed* To Use The High Res Textures...

Frostbird

it says on the box, gameplay and what not could change ect.. i dont have the box in front of me but all MMO's have it.

Gameplay changes does not mean "the graphics we're showing in this trailer are not from the game". If the graphics 'were' in the game at release, then you could certainly argue the point, but they weren't and so are clearly misleading.

In the UK if you advertise using non-game video then you need to put in a disclaimer - otherwise you are very clearly breaking ASA rules. Note this only covers adverts that the ASA has jurisdiction over (and I have no idea whether any BW adverts fall into this category).

One example from EA is DA2:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Asa-Action/Adjudications/2010/3/Electronic-Arts-Ltd/TF_ADJ_48189.aspx

Personally the graphics are good enough (if they can patch the armour), so I don't really care :).

Edited by formulaic

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get what the OP means. I have the graphics/shadow etc on high and the game looks nice and runs smoothly. Isn't that enough or is he referring to that a lot of people have to run on low settings to have a smooth gameplay?

The true high resolution textures are only used in cut scenes and conversations. In normal game play a lower quality set is used. They used to use the high res textures in game play as well, but they said it was placing too high a demand on people's systems, even those with high end gaming rigs.

Personally I think they should have left them as it was and just let people decide for themselves whether their system can actually handle them. Add an Ultra setting that uses the high res textures everywhere and let High do what it does now.

It's pretty blatant false advertising and it is, in fact, illegal.

Not false advertising. Where in any of those videos does it say "gameplay footage". No where. Just because it's using graphics taken using the game engine doesn't mean it's gameplay graphics. Those are all cutscene style, (not actual class cutscenes, but similar) there are no UI elements, no visible input from players, and also, when was it possible to oneshot mobs with a single saber strike or one grenade?

If the scenes Bioware are showing aren't actual game footage then they need to say this or they could be fined.

If you think they're misrepresenting the game for advertising purposes then I suggest you contact your advertising regulator.

Personally I can't be bothered :p

lol. They are game footage. They're footage of graphics that cutscenes use. Thus game footage. What they aren't:

Gameplay footage. So they're pretty safe.

He's not talking about CGI movies.

Personally, I think it's time for there to be some truth in advertising laws aimed at virtual entertainment. Gonna advertise a game, it should be mandatory that all footage shown is ingame and with the same quality as the customer will receive.

That's already in place in the UK (presumably also the rest of the EU, though I can't confirm that right now). All game commercials now either say "actual in-game footage" or "images shown are not representative of gameplay". Wording is probably wrong, but the gist is there.

They also say stupid stuff, like "gameplay experience may change during online play" (duh) but I guess it's better to include it because while it's obvious to us it might not be to all.

Now the question is whether SWTOR ads in the UK (I've not seen any but then I don't really watch TV) have shown the high res textures in them and which of the above messages it carried. Would be intrigued to hear from any fellow Brits who can confirm one way or the other.

European Union disagrees.

So, what are they gonna do about it? Nothing....

Just like nothing is done when you get a smashed nasty looking Big Mac that looks like it was prepared by wolfgang puck in the commercials. Go sue them while you're at it - you'll get $500 and a confidentiality agreement at best.

The case for false advertisement people here make is weak.

Edit clarity

Edited by Shortwave

i can't believe people are actually defending NOT having high res textures in the game

2012 game with less features than 2004 game

It'd be funny if someone sued this company and won, but it wont happen. Not on false advertising grounds at least.

So, what are they gonna do about it? Nothing....

Just like nothing is done when you get a smashed nasty looking Big Mac that looks like it was prepared by wolfgang puck in the commercials. Go sue them while you're at it - you'll get $500 and a confidentiality agreement at best.

The case for false advertisement people here make is weak.

Edit clarity

They already do it, it's illegal to advertise within the EU without explicitly stating what it is you are effectively misrepresenting.

Apple has been done for this too (making it seem Iphone did things faster than it actually did and didn't need wifi connection to do it).

They frequently do quite a lot about it. Usually this results in people in the US complaining about how the EU is mean to businesses.

Show me a source that says the eu is doing something, or about to do something, about this game with respect to false advertising.

They already do it, it's illegal to advertise within the EU without explicitly stating what it is you are effectively misrepresenting.

Apple has been done for this too (making it seem Iphone did things faster than it actually did and didn't need wifi connection to do it).

okay, now give me a bioware example with respect to this game.

Who said they were? We're just saying they *can*. Not that they *are*.

For things to happen generally requires people to actually make official complaints. I'm not going to, because I haven't actually seen any misleading advertising targeted at the UK - in fact I've only seen static poster style advertising in the UK.

How about the DA:O example above?

The engine uses the high-res textures, and scales those down for normal gameplay.

That's why you sometimes see your companion, npc or other chars in high-res textures - when the engine forgets to downsize them.

They'd have to state what is actual in game footage in advertisements, and in a way that wasn't misleading.

Maybe they do in the EU, dunno.

See the example further up of what happened with Bioware and Dragon Age 2 with their UK TV advertisement.