Power or crit? Merc/arsenal spec

Maplepiper

I'm going crit on both, though i suspect that with BW's copy&paste balance mentality it probably won't matter what you pick... I doubt the DPS difference will be noticeable in the long run.

So it will probably come down to if you want to see decent figures all the time, then you pick power. Or if you want to see big numbers every once in a while then you pick crit. :)

So Im loving my Merc but my question is should I be taking power or crit? What about for my companion Gault?

touchy subject, so let me say this is my opinion and others disagree

crit to 30% (soft cap)

surge to 80% (soft cap)

then power all the way (apparently it has no soft cap)

there are some power hungry fools (pun intended) out there that say i am nuts.

I recently was under this dilemma of trying to decide myself and came to the conclusion that crit was the way to go. This of course is mostly due to pvp for myself. The more I crit, the more heat I vent. And heat control is always something that tends to get away from me in hectic battles... Edited by Kadin

crit to 30% (soft cap)

surge to 80% (soft cap)

Is there solid confirmation on those soft cap numbers? My crit is at 35.6% unbuffed and surge is only at about 60%. Clearly I need more surge...

Edited by Kadin

crit to 30% (soft cap)

surge to 80% (soft cap)

Is that 30% with talents or without? What about buffs (agent 5% crit)?

crit to 30% (soft cap)

surge to 80% (soft cap)

im on 36% crit and 88% surge with some mediocre enhancements (only 50 instead of 56~), by the time I'm fully kitted out I intend to have 40% crit and 90% surge, then I'll go for power. Crit and surge rule all, and surge in particular is so easy to stack.

Edited by Sinsavz

Is there solid confirmation on those soft cap numbers? My crit is at 35.6% unbuffed and surge is only at about 60%. Clearly I need more surge...

The caps are simply for diminishing returns on the stat. Without proper math we won't know where/if power eventually overtakes them. Since targets are variable as well, it's hard to test gear without training dummies as well.

Simply put, the caps are real as they will diminish per point but without proper tools for testing everything else is speculative.

I have read a lot about diminishing returns and have no Bioware confirmations, this thread is helpfull

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=70055

From the people talking about this with some amount of logic i agree with the general accepted numbers seem to be 30% crit 80% surge for diminishing returns to really start effecting, but as spoken above, the mathmatical Ideal is IMPOSSIBLE to calculate without a large dataset and we have no combat log (see my sig). I do truly believe that undiminished crit/surge is mathmatically superior to power. The only thing that might prove me wrong are the vauge mulitpliers implied if you mouse over "bonus damage". If those multipliers are 2x or 3x my math may be wrong, if they are 1.2 or 1.5 then probably not.

personally I shoot for 35% crit and 85% surge (this one goes to eleven) ... I like 35% crit because of the Columi 2 piece bonus taking my crits to 50% self buffed.

from what I can see the caps have nothing to do with buffs, just when diminishing returns begin on stacking the crit stat. and looks to me like buffs are applied AFTER stats so no net reduction.

Raid buffed I am over 40% crit sometimes, stack my 2 piece 15% and I can follow "standard rotation" and almost never overheat... on the rare occasion I do i have vent heat.

I am more the messenger than the creator of what I speak. The thread I link has formula's and data.

once a combat log is in place i may just run some numbers, but frapsing a fight and then manually parsing out my numbers over thousands of hits just does not interest me.

I will say that I am stacking power now as I have hit my goals for crit/surge and yes power does help a lot.

Edited by Yazule

Well Crit increases your chances to finish the cool down of your Unload and increase its damage. Granted it can only happen every 6 seconds, but Unload gets pretty nasty if you can time em back to back.

So in short, I think Crit to the cap is essential.