The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My wife is jealous of my characters relationships...

jedip_enguin

Until I acquired Torian, I was flirting with my husband's Vector at every opportunity. Didn't get me anywhere but he though it was hilarious. He'd pull Vector out to give him a companion gift and he'd turn around and I'd be flirting and club dancing with Vector.

One my husband's co workers plays as well and *his* wife gets insanely jealous over Vette. Honestly, I can understand both sides. There IS no right or wrong here because every relationship is different.

Personally, we know each other too well and we have our own rules and boundaries established that we don't cross. Anything else is fair game and doesn't bother us.

If someone is overly jealous, yes they could be crazy but more often than not they have had experiences in the past that cause them to fear even a connection with pixels no matter how shallow it is. On the other side of this is communication and trust. If this is a legitimate problem, one needs to talk about it. People can call it irrational and sometimes it is but everyone has some kind of issue they wouldn't want to be taken lightly.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, women are the most irrational monsters on the planet.

It's like if your wife was having a romance arc with a super toned sweaty hunk black guy companion and he was being all ****ty and flirty.

While you sit there and watch, listening to it via speakers or loud headset, your wife giggles as she selects the answer , "[Flirt]Let's stop talking, and do something about it..."

Then the super toned sweaty hunk black guy, who appears to be hung like a horse (Think Jacob Mass Effect 2) is talking all smooth like churning butter...

But you would be fine with that I'm sure, just like all understanding men...

...Because we all know men aren't intimidated by other men.

Why's he gotta be black?

That's better than her calling the cops on you for killing so many Mandalorian warriors who were in your way, I guess.

Although not much.

This guy knows where its at :p

Nobody takes exception to the fact that I've killed more people than cancer, but flirt with a girl shaped blob of pixels and watch out :o

Yeah I could see that wa where he was coming from but the rational part of my brain stops me from getting jealous of make believe people :p

well there is no real threat from the pixelated characters unless marriage with pixelated characters becomes legal..lol

Ok first off, there is no reason to call the wife of this guy (with the 37yr marriage) dysfunctional. Thats rude and possibly quite offensive to him and the loyalty he must have to her and to defending her.

I would like to point out to all you young whippersnappers that if he has been married for 37 yrs and got married, say around the age of 25. In a time when mmo's and especially mmo's with AI's that work like Biowares, just werent invented yet, it is very possible that the wife is from a generation of women who do NOT know anything about computer games. Who dont understand the culture of them, the lore in them, the loyalty missions and whathave you.

So the fact that she might have been hurt by what she saw on his screen once, doesnt make her dysfunctional. - And since this guy didnt seem to indicate it happened with swtor, - one might extrapolate to him actually talking about doing a bit of cyber flirting once upon a time, which any wife! should be very wary off and definately deserves a tell off.

As to me and my husband, he chooses the flirt options in many conversations, I pretend to huff about it, which makes him laugh, which makes me laugh because he laughs and we have a lot of fun :) I made sweet bug love to vector, which made him grind my gears about ants in my pants for hours afterwards, but it has all been a source of a lot of laughs in our relationship.

Until I acquired Torian, I was flirting with my husband's Vector at every opportunity. Didn't get me anywhere but he though it was hilarious. He'd pull Vector out to give him a companion gift and he'd turn around and I'd be flirting and club dancing with Vector.

One my husband's co workers plays as well and *his* wife gets insanely jealous over Vette. Honestly, I can understand both sides. There IS no right or wrong here because every relationship is different.

Personally, we know each other too well and we have our own rules and boundaries established that we don't cross. Anything else is fair game and doesn't bother us.

If someone is overly jealous, yes they could be crazy but more often than not they have had experiences in the past that cause them to fear even a connection with pixels no matter how shallow it is. On the other side of this is communication and trust. If this is a legitimate problem, one needs to talk about it. People can call it irrational and sometimes it is but everyone has some kind of issue they wouldn't want to be taken lightly.

I agree with your post.

Ok so if I (male) play a female char, then what? Is it still cheating?

Jeezus, calm down people. They are pixels, nothing more....

You don't see me getting all in a huff because my GF is drooling at Johnny Depp or whoever... When it comes down to it, it's all about trust!

:D:D:D:D

Truth be told, men don't care about virtual flirting. Add 2 men to the mix, and you get twice the non-caring.

Now if I am running a Flashpoint with him and a cool aesthetic armor piece drops that accessorizes my toon better and he wins it over my roll, then you'll see true rage! :D

That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard =D

But seriously, on the topic, that is just crazy. My wife is right next to me and laughs, then tells me to turn that sappy s*** down lol...

Not that I have jack to prove to you but I've been married to the same women for 37 years. Better than that, I have a happy, successful marriage.

The reason I know what I'm talking about here is that I've made this mistake. Better yet, I learned from it and understand how it made her feel.

You can take the advice of someone who has been there or you can suffer thru it for yourself.

Hello,

With respect to your experience, I think there are important lessons for the wife to take away from this experience. I do not believe this is a problem of the husband. I also feel that accommodating a jealous spouse in this particular is encouraging pointless jealousy in the future.

She is clearly not concerned that he will become a murderer when he slays opponents in the game. Yet she is concerned about philandering when he has romances in the game. This is illogical, and while she may feel badly about bland virtual romances with artificial intelligences in an adventure game, her bad feelings are her responsibility, not his.

If a girl swoons over a handsome actor in a romance movie, or becomes avidly interested in a romance novel, a man is not expected to become angry and jealous. This behavior is understood to be irrational and improper. So when a woman displays this sort of behavior, it should not be regarded as any better or encouraged in any way.

Reality must be interjected at once. This is a romantic story for a fictional character in a fictional world. It is no different than a romantic adventure film. (Star Wars itself, for that matter!) It is inappropriate to attach negativity to this experience, or to demand that a partner not participate in romantic character choices.

Edited by Shaddaq

Ok first off, there is no reason to call the wife of this guy (with the 37yr marriage) dysfunctional. Thats rude and possibly quite offensive to him and the loyalty he must have to her and to defending her.

I would like to point out to all you young whippersnappers that if he has been married for 37 yrs and got married, say around the age of 25. In a time when mmo's and especially mmo's with AI's that work like Biowares, just werent invented yet, it is very possible that the wife is from a generation of women who do NOT know anything about computer games. Who dont understand the culture of them, the lore in them, the loyalty missions and whathave you.

So the fact that she might have been hurt by what she saw on his screen once, doesnt make her dysfunctional. - And since this guy didnt seem to indicate it happened with swtor, - one might extrapolate to him actually talking about doing a bit of cyber flirting once upon a time, which any wife! should be very wary off and definately deserves a tell off.

As to me and my husband, he chooses the flirt options in many conversations, I pretend to huff about it, which makes him laugh, which makes me laugh because he laughs and we have a lot of fun :) I made sweet bug love to vector, which made him grind my gears about ants in my pants for hours afterwards, but it has all been a source of a lot of laughs in our relationship.

I like that you're being all reasonable and such, but I gotta say - I hate when people blame their lack of understanding of a certain thing on their age. If they feel strongly about something, be it a wife that is jealous because she doesn't understand the medium, then learn. There is no excuse for ignorance.

Hello,

With respect to your experience, I think there are important lessons for the wife to take away from this experience. I do not believe this is a problem of the husband. I also feel that accommodating a jealous spouse in this particular is encouraging pointless jealousy in the future.

She is clearly not concerned that he will become a murderer when he slays opponents in the game. Yet she is concerned about philandering when he has romances in the game. This is illogical, and while she may feel badly about bland virtual romances with artificial intelligences in an adventure game, her bad feelings are her responsibility, not his.

If a girl swoons over a handsome actor in a romance movie, or becomes avidly interested in a romance novel, a man is not expected to become angry and jealous. This behavior is understood to be irrational and improper. So when a woman displays this sort of behavior, it should not be regarded as any better or encouraged in any way.

Reality must be interjected at once. This is a romantic story for a fictional character in a fictional world. It is no different than a romantic adventure film. (Star Wars itself, for that matter!) It is inappropriate to attach negativity to this experience, or to demand that a partner not participate in romantic character choices.

Yeah, its not a positive personality trait ... but its her personality none the less. Telling her to get used to it and live with it is only going to get worse. That's his wife/girlfriend ... someone he has (im assuming) made a commitment to. This, for whatever reason effects her, and if you/he/anyone cant even sacrifice the stupid game feature for it then ... well, lets just say self-centered uncompromising attitudes like that are the reason behind 50% of all marriages fail. Obviously, there is a limit ... but a game? Yeah you'll be lucky to make it to next year with anyone who doesn't match you perfectly.

Strange, mine doesn't seem to have this problem when shes swooning over george clooney in an old episode of ER ;)

You've made a classic schoolboy error here in thinking that the same rules apply to both of you :D

and on that note we're off to see the Sherlock Holmes film with Downy Jr and Jude Law tonight, I will try not to feel too emasculated by the Hollywood eyecandy :D

This has been a great distraction from work! Upon reading this, I text my girlfriend and asked her about the situation. She said that she understood both sides of the story, but felt there was no reason to make it such a big deal.

Unfortunately, due to past relationships, I am a bit insecure myself. However; if my girlfriend were an avid gamer and chose the "flirt" option, it would not bother me and by her response via text, it would not bother her if I were to do the same.

I do believe that in this society there is a line. Online dating is becoming a more common way to meet people for a potential relationship, but, those people don't have to be met on a dating site. I realize that you will not date an NPC, because if you would, I believe the bigger issue would not be the wife getting jealous, it would be the fact that you were trying to create a relationship with a non-existent character.

On another note, if this flirting and virtual sex were with a real-life player, some woman sitting in her leather computer chair, desperately looking for attention over a virtual world, then maybe a line would be crossed.