The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is Rakata worse than Columi for tanking?

jamsessionein

I'm starting to pick up Rakata gear and I'm honestly confused.

In exchange for trivial gains on Aim and Endurance I find the secondary stats are trading things that would be useful for a tank and replacing them with accuracy.

For example:

Columi Supercommando's Helmet

+105 Aim

+123 Endurance

+48 Shield Rating

+29 Defense Rating

Rakata Supercommando's Helmet

+112 Aim

+132 Endurance

+51 Accuracy Rating

+31 Absorption Rating

The "upgrade" to Rakata gear loses me 48 shield rating and 29 defense rating in exchange for a boost to my accuracy and absorption. Since my accuracy is basically 100% already, and I have no issues holding threat, I'm having a hard time rationalizing the difference here. It's like this on all the Rakata gear that I'm seeing - doesn't feel like an upgrade in any meaningful way.

It all balances out in the end. You just can't compare one single item. I recently replaced my columi offhand and lost a bunch of accuracy in exchange for shield rating on the rakata item.

So while you lose those stats on your head, you gain them back on other items.

It all balances out in the end. You just can't compare one single item. I recently replaced my columi offhand and lost a bunch of accuracy in exchange for shield rating on the rakata item.

So while you lose those stats on your head, you gain them back on other items.

You could do that. Or you could not be lazy and just pull the mods out. There are similar problems with champ/battlemaster. I pulled crit/surge mods out of champ and columni pieces to replace useless accuracy in BM and saw a small but noticeable damage upgrade.

Exchanging shield rating for absorption is ok in theory, since you should prefer absorption when you have to decide between the two. The only problem I see is the loss of defense.

This should be the priority: Absorb Rating > Defense > Shield Rating > Armor

Also, accuracy doesn't hurt either, if you more than 100% that's still ok, ideal would be around 105 %

Edited by POPsi

• 2 weeks later...
I'm almost full rakata, and 100% of the pieces I have have +51 Accuracy +20 x in the enhancement slot. Why is it stacking so much accuracy when the columi pieces have +51 shield for example. Makes no sense to me. I'm going to swap the mods, but it's obvious that itemization was an afterthought. See: Rakata weapons.

Bioware doesnt know their own game, obviously. Accuracy is a nearly worthless stat for powertechs - we only have 3 abilities that need it (rapid shots, unload, and rail shot) and out of those only rail shot is typically a big part of tanking rotations.

Yeah, pretty much what other people are saying here. The rakata stuff on paper item vs item is probably worse for a tank, but if you take out the accuracty giving stuff and replace it with the columi stuff, you should come out with a better item in the end... with more aim, endurance and armour than you can get in a columi piece.

Since i started getting this gear and there was no real point for it. It made me wonder if they actually do have a plan.

Clearly the Acc on all sets is much higher for all classes, maybe that its going to be needed for the next content. Right now it seems redundant but maybe we might actually need Acc later on.

Exchanging shield rating for absorption is ok in theory, since you should prefer absorption when you have to decide between the two. The only problem I see is the loss of defense.

This should be the priority: Absorb Rating > Defense > Shield Rating > Armor

Also, accuracy doesn't hurt either, if you more than 100% that's still ok, ideal would be around 105 %

Normally, I might agree, if this was a Juggernaut or Assassin we are talking about. However, Powertech have a lot of abilities that rely on shielding happening (refresh on RP, venting heat) that it's most definitely Absorbtion > Shielding > Defense > Armor.

Rakata geared dps vs straight mitigation geared tank - who wins threat wars?

This isnt wow, where we had a static 500%+ boost to threat. If you mod out everything that isnt shield/def/abosrb, youre seriously gimping your raid.