Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Theorycrafters: Cunning versus Aim

Ituhata

I just noticed something tonight and I need some folks to help me figure it out.

While shopping for mods I moused over and realized that Smuggler/Gunslinger does get some benefit from Aim. According to my mafs I get the following:

Aim grants .2 Ranged Damage Bonus and .0181% Ranged Crit Chance per point, and Cunning grants .2 Ranged and Tech Damage Bonus and .0168% Ranged and Tech Crit Chance per point.

(At the time of this posting: 59 Aim granted +11.8 Ranged DMG / +1.07% Ranged Crit, 320 Cunning granted +64 Ranged/Tech DMG / +5.37% Ranged/Tech Crit.)

I am assuming abilities like Aimed Shot, Charged Burst & Flurry of Bolts, which I feel make up the bulk of my damage and are listed as 'weapon damage' fall under ranged abilities, whereas Sabotage Charge and Thermal Grenade (listed as 'kinetic damage') fall under tech abilities.

If that is correct, wouldn't a gunslinger stand to gain more from stacking aim?

EDIT to note I am taking the Sharpshooter tree.

Edited by Ituhata

I just noticed something tonight and I need some folks to help me figure it out.

While shopping for mods I moused over and realized that Smuggler/Gunslinger does get some benefit from Aim. According to my mafs I get the following:

Aim grants .2 Ranged Damage Bonus and .0181% Ranged Crit Chance per point, and Cunning grants .2 Ranged and Tech Damage Bonus and .0168% Ranged and Tech Crit Chance per point.

(At the time of this posting: 59 Aim granted +11.8 Ranged DMG / +1.07% Ranged Crit, 320 Cunning granted +64 Ranged/Tech DMG / +5.37% Ranged/Tech Crit.)

I am assuming abilities like Aimed Shot, Charged Burst & Flurry of Bolts, which I feel make up the bulk of my damage and are listed as 'weapon damage' fall under ranged abilities, whereas Sabotage Charge and Thermal Grenade (listed as 'kinetic damage') fall under tech abilities.

Why, time and time again does this come up. Do people just WANT aim to be our stat or something? Theres even a tooltip in game that says. "CUNNING IS THE SMUGGLER'S PRIMARY STAT!"

Why, time and time again does this come up. Do people just WANT aim to be our stat or something? Theres even a tooltip in game that says. "CUNNING IS THE SMUGGLER'S PRIMARY STAT!"

Have you even read the OP? He provides actual numbers.

The biggest issue is that aim provides no bonus to our tech attacks. As a sharpshooter, this only applies to Sabotage Charge, XS Frieghter Flyby, Vital Shot, and Thermal Grenade. Ok, not the biggest deal there, one useful single target move, one move for when you're moving, and two AoEs.

With 972 cunning, I get 194.5 ranged/tech damage, 7.21% ranged/tech crit. This works out to slightly more than .2001 damage and .0074% crit per point.

By contrast, 98 aim gives me 19.6 ranged damage and .82% ranged crit. Or .2 damage and .0083% crit. You get a little bit more bang out of the crit on it (enough to make the miniscule extra damage on cunning worth the hit), but losing out on it on the aforementioned tech attacks really hurts aim's usefulness, especially in AoE situations.

Throw in the extra 9% cunning once you get into the saboteur tree (making each point worth .2182 damage and .0081% crit, and it's for both ranged and tech) and it becomes an easy winner.

Disclaimer: It's very late for me and I've got a bad headache, so some of my math may be off a little, but it shouldn't be much. Also, technically, the 3% extra cunning wouldn't increase a single point to those values, you'd need about 33 to get a full extra cunning point, I just figured I should keep working with the same values. A better way to say it would be that 100 cunning / aim would be worth 100x the values I listed.

Edited by Pazno

Forgot to mention it earlier but it's 3% per talent point, so 9% total extra cunning.

Oh yeah, that's right. I didn't even think to check. Let me redo that bit up there...

Throw in the extra 9% cunning once you get into the saboteur tree (making each point worth .2182 damage and .0081% crit, and it's for both ranged and tech) and it becomes an easy winner.

Edited by Pazno

The OP makes a valid point with some of his stats. I don't think it hurts to have aim and get it where you can, but i think at the end of the day, Cunning will do more for you.

Since you pretty much have to choose aim or cunning and cannot have both, aim should never be chosen by a smuggler. Period.

Whoops, I did not take that talent. I am building up the sharpshooter tree, I usually do check the other trees to see what talents are worth taking but I have apparently missed that one. :o

No argument here, once you bring ranged crit up to .0081% its exactly on par with aim and aim doesn't give any tech bonuses at all so cunning is the clear winner.

Thanks for helping me hash it out. :D

Since you pretty much have to choose aim or cunning and cannot have both, aim should never be chosen by a smuggler. Period.

not to mention that you have VERY little aim in PvP gear anyway so you are kinda forced to use cunning as primary stat. Also you loose loads of crit chance/crit multi and surge with those PvP sets/weapons.

want a lil bit o free aim? stock up on the Aim datacrons scattered about. i have been aquiring them along with main stats just for the free dam and crit bonuses they do add. yes aim isn't our main stat but a datacron is a free(well ok there's a lil work) stat up at no gear cost(armoring/mod slot ect) AND some free xp to boot ;)

Aim=Trooper/Bounty hunter

cunning= Smuggler/ Imperial Agent

Willpower= Consular/inquisator

strength= knight/warrior

Those stats are the primary stats for the classes. Correct me I'm wrong but the given bonuses that go towards a stat are different depending on what class you play. With the smuggler, aim improves weapon damage and crit and cunning improves weapon damage/crit and tech damage and crit.

For trooper I believe it was the opposite (aim gets the bonuses of cunning).

This was done to make getting the right gear easier. If you are a trooper and you see a Smuggler needing something with aim, you can go ahead and call them all the names you want (especially because it would be heavy armor :p)

Can I see the math behind where you're getting these numbers? And I think you're leaving out the most important part. Almost all of your abilities are tech abilities. Aim does not affect tech abilities. Cunning does everything aim does, but more.

Edited by Arsonn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.